ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL If you could schedule a home and home with another school....?

Sure, it would be fun to see Alabama have a scrimmage in Floyd, but lets be realistic here.

I think Troy would be a good one. That was a pretty nasty rivalry back in the good-old-sunbelt days with the old Palladium trophy.

Memphis would be good for both schools. I don't know if they'd want to play us, but would be a good rivalry.

I'll throw out App State as a good one. That's a pretty solid trip in the fall. MT draws a lot of students from East TN as well, so it would give them some exposure in that region. App State recruits the heck out of East TN, and we could make some inroads there. If you want to look at the other side of the state, Arkansas State might be a good one with similar benefits.

Also, Georgia State - as much as we recruit in GA and the Atlanta area, would be a good home and home.

Sure, it would be fun to see Alabama have a scrimmage in Floyd, but lets be realistic here.

I think Troy would be a good one. That was a pretty nasty rivalry back in the good-old-sunbelt days with the old Palladium trophy.

Memphis would be good for both schools. I don't know if they'd want to play us, but would be a good rivalry.

I'll throw out App State as a good one. That's a pretty solid trip in the fall. MT draws a lot of students from East TN as well, so it would give them some exposure in that region. App State recruits the heck out of East TN, and we could make some inroads there. If you want to look at the other side of the state, Arkansas State might be a good one with similar benefits.

Also, Georgia State - as much as we recruit in GA and the Atlanta area, would be a good home and home.
You have kennesaw and Jax St for that metro ATL trip now. So you don't need Ga St on the schedule.

Reactions: MIDTENN05
If we're talking in state give me vandy over Memphis. Neither are true rivals in the sense but to beat vandy would garner alot more local interest imo. Outside of those 2, a trip back to lafayette Louisiana would be a good time.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
I personally would prefer Marshall. Always good games and they travel very well. I also would LOVE to see WVU. But both of those are my bias.

I too would prefer Troy. Wouldn't fuss at all over App State either. In state, Vandy. Beating them does significantly more for us on an area news front than Memphis. Same though can be said for losing to Vandy as it can hurt us. We certainly gain more by winning than they do.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I’m going to pick a few and at least one G5 per conference.

Troy
Memphis
ECU
Ohio
Boise St

From a realistic P5 get I’d say Louisville or WVU.

Playing P5s in Floyd is futile and useless. MT is going to lose everytime until we have real football coach and an administration with the determination for a Championship culture.
What annoys me is the foundation to have that culture. Scheduling plays a HUGE part of that. Playing two SEC teams right off the bat does not help things at all. I get the $ reason, but that isn't the way to win consistently and build a fanbase.

Even look at Bama. Two of their first three games are G5. Then they have their usual FCS as a break late. They don't give themselves 4 P5 out of conference games. That would hurt their chances of winning the SEC which is the goal. (National champ yes but you get my point). Fans drug Wren Baker through the mud for saying he didn't want WVU to have Pitt and Penn St the same year. Well duh. Why do that, especially as the first two games.

Our scheduling hurts our chances at winning CUSA. Every year should start with an FCS or winnable G5. Then go in to the $ game with a win under our belts and come out at worst 1-1. There is a distinct possibility we will be playing our home opener this year at 0-2. That is not going to help bring in fans.

My top five H-H list + second five + no dice list:

1. Marshall Thundering Herd
2. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
3. University of North Texas Mean Green/Eagles
4. Vanderbilt Commodores
5. USM Golden Eagles

Second Five: Navy Midshipmen, Tulsa Golden Hurricane, Northwestern Wildcats, Boise State Broncos, Wyoming Cowboys

No dice list: Eastern Kentucky, Arkansas State, Temple Owls, Akron Zips

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
My top five H-H list + second five + no dice list:

1. Marshall Thundering Herd
2. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
3. University of North Texas Mean Green/Eagles
4. Vanderbilt Commodores
5. USM Golden Eagles

Second Five: Navy Midshipmen, Tulsa Golden Hurricane, Northwestern Wildcats, Boise State Broncos, Wyoming Cowboys

No dice list: Eastern Kentucky, Arkansas State, Temple Owls, Akron Zips
Tulsa… why?

I like the idea of Louisville and Memphis, if we cannot get them Marshall (I think thats already in the books for one set), UAB or Troy.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Tulsa… why?
Tulsa is AAC member and won/shared 35 conference championships lifetime (last in 2012). All time record is above .500 in program history and had a great notable win vs. Notre Dame (2010)--probably its greatest? Decent bowl history (11-12), although they have struggled lately. Their OOC schedule "or opponents-opponents" might help SOS if we can ever cobble together a 9-3/10-2/11-1 season--they often play OK State or Oklahoma. Memphis or Cincinnati might be a better fit for AAC teams, but have a feeling that either wouldn't do a H-H return game with us these days.

So from a general consensus, fans would like annually:

1. Rotating road P5 money game
2. Rotating home instate FCS
3. Rotation of home/home with Troy, Marshall, Memphis, and Vandy.
4. Regional G5 school (SunBelt / AAC) home and home.

*To a point in the is thread, we should not open with P5, but be game 2 or maybe be the November non-conference game for an SEC team.

Now we just need Chris, Lee & company to make it happen. The few remaining fans have spoken.

Reactions: Hop45
So from a general consensus, fans would like annually:

1. Rotating road P5 money game
2. Rotating home instate FCS
3. Rotation of home/home with Troy, Marshall, Memphis, and Vandy.
4. Regional G5 school (SunBelt / AAC) home and home.

*To a point in the is thread, we should not open with P5, but be game 2 or maybe be the November non-conference game for an SEC team.

Now we just need Chris, Lee & company to make it happen. The few remaining fans have spoken.
Bingo.

I'm even not 100% against the Colorado States or Eastern Michigans. But they should be our 2nd G5 school, and not replace a regional.

TN school EVERY year.
Doesn't have to be FCS. If we play Memphis or Vandy (which should not be a $ game) then we should play a regional FCS. North Alabama, EKU, Murray, etc.

If we started with Murray this year, or even Colorado St, then had Bama, then a regional G5 instead of Mizzou, not a single one of us would be fussing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hop45
I like the idea of Louisville and Memphis, if we cannot get them Marshall (I think thats already in the books for one set), UAB or Troy.
To be fair we have a H&H with Marshall in 25/26 and Memphis 24/27. Louisville would be a great road trip for a payday game.

Reactions: Predarat
Tulsa is AAC member and won/shared 35 conference championships lifetime (last in 2012). All time record is above .500 in program history and had a great notable win vs. Notre Dame (2010)--probably its greatest? Decent bowl history (11-12), although they have struggled lately. Their OOC schedule "or opponents-opponents" might help SOS if we can ever cobble together a 9-3/10-2/11-1 season--they often play OK State or Oklahoma. Memphis or Cincinnati might be a better fit for AAC teams, but have a feeling that either wouldn't do a H-H return game with us these days.
I was curious to see why you would want them. They would probably be the last AAC team I’d want with maybe the exception of Rice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT