ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Head Football Coach stepping down, retiring...

By all accounts took a lot of people down here by surprise. He has a relatively new boss but seemed to be pretty supportive. Since Kirby has come back home the gap between the 2 programs has only gotten wider.
Both PJ & his AD have lamented how far down the ACC food chain GT has fallen when it comes to facilities, etc.
While the press release said “retired “, PJ said he needed a “break”. Mainly due to the type offense he runs, he has never been totally embraced my the GT fan base. Would fully expect him to resurface in a couple years at a smaller school.

I would gladly embrace a Coach Johnson hire... At our level, the option would be a wonderful equalizer...

Actually I would enjoy seeing someone revive the Wishbone (Run-75% and Pass-25%)....

Reactions: MT Glenn
I would gladly embrace a Coach Johnson hire... At our level, the option would be a wonderful equalizer...

Actually I would enjoy seeing someone revive the Wishbone (Run-75% and Pass-25%)....
I agree. When firing on all cylinders, the wishbone/option is one of the best offenses to watch.

I hate the triple option personally and I'm not sold on it being effective for us or in this conference.

Seems like there'd be more than a handful of guys who run it across all of FBS/FCS if it were so potentially dangerous.

Cut blocking is what makes the triple option work and the NCAA is looking into the complaints of coaches like Nick Saban, Dabo Sweeny, Kirby Smart, etc. They will eventually get rid of it to keep players safe which they should. Once they do that, the triple option will go the way of the do do bird. I absolutely despise cut blocking. It's dangerous and gets a lot of players hurt. If the NCAA really cares about player safety, they need to focus not just on helmet to helmet type stuff but cut blocking too.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT