ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hawaii Bowl: Middle Tennessee vs Hawaii, 7PM, Saturday, December 24, 2016

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
game thread, links are a work in progress:

University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa

Founded: 1907 Enrollment: 20,435 Undergrad: 13,952 Postgrad: 6,483
Acceptance rate:
Colors:
Green, White, Black, and Silver Nickname: Rainbow Warriors Mascot:
Fight song:
"Co-ed"
Stadium: Aloha Stadium, (50,000), 99–500 Salt Lake Boulevard, Halawa, Hawaii
Head Coach: Nick Rolovich Record at Hawaii: 6-7 (1st year)
2015 Record: Bowl: None
Starters Ret./Lost: Lettermen R/L:

Weather Forecast: Partly Cloudy, 80°

Where:
Aloha Stadium, (50,000), 99–500 Salt Lake Boulevard, Halawa, Hawaii

Stadium Policies:

Television: ESPN, Comcast: Channel 11/1605; DirecTV: Channel 206; Dish: Channel 140; AT&T U-verse: Channel 1602
Play-by-Play: Chris Cotter Color Analyst: Mark May Sideline: Maria Taylor

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts, WMOT FM 89.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5 (Nashville), (TuneIn app)

Streaming: Audio, Video

Live Stats: LIVE STATS

Newspapers: , , , ,

Message Boards: Warrior Sports Network, SportsHawaii.com,

Blogs: ,

Athletic site:
hawaiiathletics.com, goblueraiders.com,

Media Guides: Hawaii
, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: Hawaii 2016 SBNation Preview, 2016 CUSA Football Preview: Hawaii, Hawaii 2016 Sports Chat Place College Football Preview, Hawaii (Orlando Sentinel # ), Middle Tennessee 2016 SBNation Preview, Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #63), Middle Tennessee 2016 Season Preview

Game Notes: Hawaii Bowl game notes, MT Hawaii Bowl game notes

Game Previews: , ,

Roster: Rainbow Warriors, Blue Raiders

Twitter: @UHawaiiNews, @HawaiiFootball, ,,, @GuavaPressMedia,,,
@MTAthletics,
@MT_FB, @MT_BRAA

Hashtags:
#MadeInHawaii, #PlayedInHawaii, #LiveAlohaPlayWarrior, #GoBows, ,,,, #BlueRaiders, #MTvs , ,, #TrueBlue,

Facebook: Hawaii Athletics, Hawaii Rainbow Warriors Football,,,,

Youtube: ,,,

Instagram: ,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Players to Watch

Middle Tennessee Offense:

QB 12 Brent Stockstill: 232-363-2,801 yards/27 TD/5 INT

RB 4 I’Tavius Mathers: 220-1,504 rushing yards/6.8 AVG/16 TD

62-589 receiving yards/9.5 AVG/3 TD

WR 3 Richie James: 97-1,463 receiving yards/15.1 AVG/11 TD

32-300 rushing yards/9.4 AVG/4 TD

WR 24 Ty Lee: 53-599 yards/11.3 AVG/7 TD

WR 20 Dennis Andrews: 28-370 yards/13.2 AVG/7 TD

Hawai’i Offense:

QB 19 Dru Brown: 189-305-2,214 yards/15 TD/7 INT

RB 22 Diocemy Saint Juste: 140-836 yards/6.0 AVG/3 TD

RB 4 StevenLakalaka: 100-415 yards/4.2 AVG/12 TD

WR 14 Marcus Kemp: 70-1,036 yards/14.8 AVG/7 TD

WR 45 John Ursua: 47-532 yards/11.3 AVG/3 TD

Middle Tennessee Defense:

LB 32 Chris Melton: 96 tackles/6.5 tackles for loss/2.5 sacks/2 QB hits/1 forced fumble

DE 49 Steven Rhodes: 39 tackles/8.0 tackles for loss/4.5 sacks/6 QB hits/1 forced fumble

LB 31 DJ Sanders: 64 tackles/4.5 tackles for loss/2.0 sacks/2 INT/9 pass breakups/2 QB hits/3 forced fumbles/1 blocked kick

LB 30 Darius Harris: 65 tackles/5.0 tackles for loss/0.5 sack/1 pass breakup/2 fumble recoveries/1 forced fumble

CB 8 Jeremy Cutrer: 57 tackles/4.0 tackles for loss/3 INT/10 pass breakups/1 QB hit/1 fumble recovery/1 forced fumble

Hawai’i Defense:

LB31 Jahlani Tavai: 118 tackles/17.5 tackles for loss/7 sacks/1 INT/3 QB hits/ 1 fumble recovery/2 forced fumbles

DB39 Trayvon Henderson: 85 tackles/10.5 tackles for loss/2.0 sacks/2 INT/1 QB hit/1 blocked kick

DB21 Damien Packer: 80 tackles/2.5 tackles for loss/1 INT/1 QB hit/2 fumble recoveries

LB38 Malachi Mageo: 72 tackles/6.5 tackles for loss/2.0 sacks/2 QB hits/1 forced fumble

DB19 Jalen Rogers: 63 tackles/7.0 tackles for loss/3 INT/1 forced fumble

Last edited:
Holy crap, their D averages giving up 630 yards a game. What can we expect on Dec 24th?

Can our D make some improvements with the break?

So, with flights from Nashville to Hawaii pricing out at a little over $2,200, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that we won't have a huge traveling fan contingent on this one.

That said, I'd love for the AD to offer some kind of deal for folks who want to contribute a ticket but can't make the trip - they should offer a ticket and a poster or program or something, sell it for $45 bucks. I'd buy one. I have a small section of my mancave dedicated to MT items, I'd love to frame a bowl poster with a ticket on the bottom.

So, with flights from Nashville to Hawaii pricing out at a little over $2,200, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that we won't have a huge traveling fan contingent on this one.

That said, I'd love for the AD to offer some kind of deal for folks who want to contribute a ticket but can't make the trip - they should offer a ticket and a poster or program or something, sell it for $45 bucks. I'd buy one. I have a small section of my mancave dedicated to MT items, I'd love to frame a bowl poster with a ticket on the bottom.

"Tickets to the game, which is scheduled to kick off at 7 p.m. (CT), are on sale now for $45 and include a complimentary Hawai'i Bowl t-shirt and a ticket to a C-USA home game at Floyd Stadium in the 2017 season."

http://goblueraiders.com/news/2016/...nd-impact-on-mtsu-military.aspx?path=football

Reactions: RaiderDoug
excerpt:

...The Hawai’i Rainbow Warriors and Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders will face off at Aloha Stadium in the Hawai’i Bowl on ESPN.

The Hawai’i Rainbow Warriors finished the season with a 6-7 overall record and finished in 2nd in the Mountain West – West standings with a 4-4 record. Hawai’i was able to become bowl eligible winning their last two games of the regular season against Fresno State and UMass. On the season, Hawai’i is averaging 26.5 ppg on 382.9 total yards per game (222.3 passing, 160.6 rushing). Offensively, the Rainbow Warriors were led by QB Dru Brown who completed 62.0% of his passes for 15 TD and 7 INT while averaging 184.5 passing yds/g. Leading the way for the Hawai’i backfield has been Diocemy Saint Juste (12.7 Att/g, 76.0 yds/g, 3 TD), Paul Harris (5.9 Att/g, 41.3 yds/g, 2 TD), and Steven Lakalaka (7.7 Att/g, 31.9 yds/g, 12 TD). The leading receivers for the Rainbow Warriors have been Marcus Kemp (5.4 rec/g, 79.7 yds/g, 7 TD), John Ursua (3.6 rec/g, 40.9 yds/g, 3 TD), and Dylan Collie (2.2 rec/g, 23.5 yds/g, 3 TD). Hawai’i really struggled on the defensive side this season as they allowed their opponents to average 37.5 ppg on 455.4 total yards per game (211.2 passing, 243.2 rushing). The Rainbow Warriors had issues with turnovers throughout the season and finished the year with a -11 turnover margin.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders finished the season with an 8-4 overall record while finishing 3rd in the C-USA East division with a 5-3 conference record. Middle Tennessee looked as if they were going to be able to contend for a C-USA Championship but suffered a huge blow went their star QB Brent Stockstill was lost for the last 4 games of the regular season in which the Blue Raiders went just 2-2. On the season, Middle Tennessee averaged 40.1 ppg on 515.7 total yards per game (317.0 passing, 198.7 rushing). Offensively, Middle Tennessee was led by QB Brent Stockstill who completed 63.9% of his passes for 27 TD and 5 INT while averaging 311.2 passing yds/g. The Blue Raiders backfield was led by I’Tavius Mathers (18.3 Att/g, 125.3 yds/g, 16 TD) and Richie James (2.7 Att/g, 25.0 yds/g, 4 TD). The Leading receivers for Middle Tennessee were Richie James (8.1 rec/g 121.9 yds/g, 11 TD), Ty Lee (4.4 rec/g, 49.9 yds/g, 7 TD), I’Tavius Mathers (5.2 rec/g, 49.1 yds/g, 3 TD) and Dennis Andrews (2.3 rec/g, 30.8 yds/g, 7 TD). Defensively, Middle Tennessee is allowing their opponents to average 34.4 ppg on 445.3 total yards per game (247.1 passing, 198.2 rushing). The Blue Raiders forced their opponents into committing 19 turnovers on the season and have an overall turnover margin of +1.

The Rainbow Warriors are 0-4-1 ATS in their last 5 games after accumulating more than 280 yards passing in their previous game and 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games. The Blue Raiders are 4-0 in their last 4 games following a straight up win and 6-0 in their last 6 games following an ATS win.

This game has yet to be lined due to the uncertain status of the Blue Raiders Brent Stockstill who as of a few days ago, mentioned that he is optimistic that he will be able to take the field for this game. Middle Tennessee certainly isn’t as strong of an offense without Stockstill, but the Blue Raiders still can put up points and should be able to find the score board against the Hawaii defense that ranked 115th in scoring defense and 104th in total defense.....

Have heard line rumblings... Looking for -5.5 Middle. More info when I get it. I will be shocked if we dont see a line by Friday.

Vegas makes ALOT of money in betting the Hawaii games with locals here being Polynesian or just wanting some last minute action.

We need to win this. Hawaii isn't a good team, and somehow, their defense is worse than ours.

We need some momentum going into next year.

I see no reason we shouldn't be favorites to win the east next year.

WKU, FIU, FAU will all be breaking in new coaches. Certainly, our 12th year veteran staff should have an advantage over a newb and 2 rebuilding teams.

ODU loses a ton, including their Sr QB. Charlotte and Marshall - who knows - UNCC is probably not going to be as good as this year, but Marshall should be a little better, but we should get them at home.

It's time to embrace and demand higher expectations for this program.

we were picked to win it this year too and look how that worked out. if only we ran the ball on that 4th and 1...

That's why I haven't been back. A coach who can't distinguish the difference between the odds of us getting one yard, and OUR defense stopping WKU, isn't going to win many championships. What really galls me is that he wasn't prepared for the situation. WKU was out of timeouts, If he had rushed out two or three big tackles in the backfield, or went unbalanced or some crazy formation one of the Western players might have panicked and called time out, which would have been a penalty and given us the game, or they might have jumped off side if we just tried to draw them off. No; he just punted!

Every coach should have a (goal line) short yardage package to get a yard when needed, or for a two point play. Look at what Alabama does; two big tackles, a running back and QB under center. A high likelihood of success.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
That's why I haven't been back. A coach who can't distinguish the difference between the odds of us getting one yard, and OUR defense stopping WKU, isn't going to win many championships. What really galls me is that he wasn't prepared for the situation. WKU was out of timeouts, If he had rushed out two or three big tackles in the backfield, or went unbalanced or some crazy formation one of the Western players might have panicked and called time out, which would have been a penalty and given us the game, or they might have jumped off side if we just tried to draw them off. No; he just punted!

Every coach should have a (goal line) short yardage package to get a yard when needed, or for a two point play. Look at what Alabama does; two big tackles, a running back and QB under center. A high likelihood of success.

Come on and stop it. Lil stock needed to complete a 5 yard pass that he hits 19 out of 20 times and we get the first down. I am convinced that if we did run it and WKU stuffed it you've guys would blame coaching and play calling.

Reactions: TeKEraider
we were picked to win it this year too and look how that worked out. if only we ran the ball on that 4th and 1...

What really messed things up for MT Football in 2016 was three losses in C-USA: the UTSA and Marshall losses also hurt. A win over WKU converting 4th and 1, would have still left us second behind Old Dominion (1 loss) and we would have won tiebreaker for second in the East over WKU with 2 losses in conference. Lamenting would have been a excellent year to go 12-1 or 13-0, but well there is next year. Let's just win the Hawaii bowl to salvage this year and build for a outright championship next year.

Reactions: mtsportsfan
What really messed things up for MT Football in 2016 was three losses in C-USA: the UTSA and Marshall losses also hurt. A win over WKU converting 4th and 1, would have still left us second behind Old Dominion (1 loss) and we would have won tiebreaker for second in the East over WKU with 2 losses in conference. Lamenting would have been a excellent year to go 12-1 or 13-0, but well there is next year. Let's just win the Hawaii bowl to salvage this year and build for a outright championship next year.

And what happens when we go up to Bowling Green and get our clocks cleaned (they return a lot) yet again and they take the conference title once more. At what point is "wait till next year" not acceptable?? How many chances are we going to afford this staff to win a title? What's next year? Year 12? 13?

WKU loses a ton. Norris and Taylor (no. 1 and 2 WR's), both RB's, 4 OL, and a few key defensive players. Like 24 in all. Yeah, they'll be good and all but, they lost Brohm which was their offensive brain. Their is no indication that this new coach will be as effective.

With the game being in Bowling Green, I'm sure we'll find a way to lose it. Been nothing but blow outs there lately.

This game is actually going to be very telling with regards to the maturity of our team and the grasp that our staff has on the team.

If we go to Hawaii and lose, it's pretty clear this was nothing but a vacation for our players and you could argue our coaches all need to be fired because they can't get our players in the right mind set to win key games for our program (Just more evidence to add to the pile over the many years where we've faltered in important games).

We are very clearly a better team than Hawaii so there's no excuse to not go win this game.

How have we gotten blown out multiple times vs. WKU? It happened once last year. We went up there in 2012 and won. 2014, we won. So, we won twice and they did too. It's pretty even right now. We lost by a point this year. Yeah, I want to win every game but losing Taylor, Norris and their OL will hurt them. White is question mark until signing day.

Everyone mark your calendars for January 8th. Coaches Convention kicks off here at Gaylord Hotel and maybe our defensive staff is networking to move on down the road. Give them a nice Hawaii vacation and send them on their way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT