ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL From Halves to Quarters

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
column in the Huntington, WV Herald Dispatch with quotes from the Marshall and Charlotte coaches, and Kermit on the possibility of men's college basketball joining the rest of the basketball world in playing quarters instead halves...

excerpt:

...Middle Tennessee coach Kermit Davis is a staunch advocate of quarters.

"I'm all for quarters," said Davis. "When I go watch our women's team play, as a fan I'm sitting there and I told my wife, 'I love watching games with quarters.' I love how the one-and-ones reset. So, as just a fan watching the women's game, I loved it. I wish we'd go to it."

It appears faster paced.

"It is," said Davis. "And it's something to kind of look forward to as a fan. You get that break and it resets the clock.

"We're the only game in the world that does it. I think we need to go to the quarters." .....

Agree with Kermit about quarters. Quarters seems to have a better flow, more focused on game play, and like the idea how team fouls reset too. Don't necessarily want to move to a 24 second shot clock like the NBA; think 30 seconds divides possession opportunities well with 10 minute quarters. Nor do I want to see a 12 minute quarter like the NBA either. This year, noticed timeout situations were cleaner where a timeout close to the 16,12,8, or 4 media breaks would substitute for that "officials timeout". For instance, it's irritating to see a team calling a timeout with 4:07 remaining, go to commercial, and again at 3:56 for the media timeout...those situations almost feel like a mini halftime instead of essentially two :30 timeouts. Hope the rules committee institutes the quarters...think it would be good!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT