ADVERTISEMENT

Fire up the rumor mill: Missouri St to CUSA???

Looking like the ACC is going to take Stanford, Cal, SMU

I’ve enjoyed reading peoples takes on this.

My personal opinion is that we are stuck where we are for the foreseeable future.

We’ve made our bed.

Indeed. I think we also have to be honest about who we are and where we are. Our administration has not prioritized athletics for the last 20 years, especially the big two programs (Basketball, Football). Baseball, softball, and I'm sure many other programs have gotten nice upgrades and big new stadiums. But beyond some fresh paint, new turf, and a big TV....we've done literally nothing for football since joining 1A/FBS. Leaves me speechless.

I remember riding around with one of our former starting QB's nearly 20 years ago (hard to believe it's been that long). They were annoyed that the softball team was getting a brand new stadium while football was still playing on 1990's astroturf. This university has never prioritized or really cared about it's football program and there's decades of evidence to support this claim.

And so other people and programs can see that. They can see we don't take athletics seriously. They can see that we are okay with mediocre results and reward mediocrity. They then easily come to the conclusion that Murfreesboro doesn't take major D1 sports seriously. So why should we get an invite to a better conference? What has MT done that's so great ? What have our actions shown over the last 20 years ? Where is the commitment ?

Then you look at some of the other programs that were taken instead of us to the SBC, AAC, and onwards. A school like Southern Miss might not have great results recently, but they have a great history and commitment to their programs...and that's what matters.

We are where we belong. And we will end up where we are supposed to be. You cannot all of a sudden decide to dump $100 million into facilities because you f'd up and got caught with your pants down. That's not how any of this works. And McPhee, like I suspect many times throughout his life, is about to learn the hard way.

Last edited:
Some one told me McPhee moved out of the Presidential palace because he was told this contract was his last. Anyone else heard this.

Last edited:
Some one told me McPhee moved out of the Presidential palace because his LR was told the last contract was his last. Anyone else heard this.
McPhee is approaching 70 so retirement at some point isn’t out of the question.

Since it can take a year or so to find a guy AND it’s possible McPhee stays on as an advisor (of sorts) while the new guy gets up to speed could happen too.

But, I find it interesting that he’s already buying a house (according this your source). Maybe it was a dream home / dream neighborhood situation.

Not confirming report, just playing the speculation game too

It would make better financial sense for some of McPhee’s salary to be in real estate somehow.

With a university president’s salary, living at a provided house without owning a primary residence would be a bad move.

Last edited:
Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Looks like the CalFord and SMU ACC shift is losing steam. I think the PAC12 rebuild makes the most sense at this point.

Wow - it's down to only one vote? If that's the case, I bet they get that figured out. Hopefully not for MT's sake.

Wow - it's down to only one vote? If that's the case, I bet they get that figured out. Hopefully not for MT's sake.

It's always only been one vote. And it doesn't appear it's going to get worked out. At this point, it's giving vibes of "Don't you know when you are not wanted?"

They're flat out begging at this point. Willing to forgo all revenue and who knows what else. Pretty sad if you ask me. I don't understand why Calford is obsessed with joining a conference that's a dead man walking.

Just rebuild the Pac4 with the minimum required and best available programs and see what landscape changes occur on the horizon.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
At this point I would conclude 2 points for wanting the ACC instead of rebuilding the PAC. Narcissism & Elitism. To have to share your neighborhood with "those others" that obviously aren't in our classification well it's just so demeaning.
If their snobbery goes that far, just go independent.

Stanford literally has the richest department in the country. They could easily swing Indy and just go Big Sky or even WCC for everything else. Cal on the other hand is at the opposite end of the spectrum with the biggest debt in the country. They can't afford squat and are riding Stanford's tails.

If the PAC stays Stanford will want the AAU schools first. Rice, Tulane, and USF. After that, who knows.

Today spposedly was the deadline and nothing yet. They aren't really wanted. Not saying it won't happen. No one is really fighting on their behalf to get them. either The B12 practically threw a party after they voted for CU, Utah, AZ and AZ st. The ACC meetings have had a totally different vibe. That alone says a lot.

Just a matter of time before Judy makes the announcement. She's foaming at the mouth right now.

I can't stress enough how Tarleton State joining CUSA would be such a disappointment. That would be the last nail in the coffin for me I think. This school is basically a community college, that I don't think any kid ever grows up really wanting to go there. ZERO tv, radio, or media coverage. NOTHING!

I put MT on the same level as a North Texas, which is also in the area. However, NTX is MUCH more respectable than Taleton. Even saying that isn't much, because NTX is way down the list of schools in the area where people want to go. If they roll them into CUSA, we might as well go FBS.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I remember this from a year or two ago. We were talking about schools we would like to see or anticipate joining CUSA. Not saying he's a soothsayer, but it's a name sWiley said watch out for in the future. He brought up Tarleton, a school & name I had never heard of in the past. If remembering correctly he brought up the explosion that would develop with Tarleton due to enrollment, endowments, & being a part of the A&M family.
Now they're getting a $110 million basketball facility to go along with a 24,000 seat football stadium. Who knows the future, but that sounds cumulatively nicer than what Kennesaw is bringing to the table. And they're already here.

We are what we are. University leadership cannot ignore the major athletics programs for 20 years and then wonder why all their peers have passed them by. Nobody wants to share a conference with a school that doesn't take athletics seriously. And MTSU has not taken athletics seriously for the last 20 years.

Actions speak infinitely louder than words. McPhee, Massaro, Steve Smith, and all those cronies can say whatever they want. They can dismiss us as dumb message board people that don't know anything. But the fact remains that outside of a big TV and new turf, we've done next to nothing for our football and men's basketball program for over two decades.

When you contrast our do-nothing, mediocre approach with other schools like:

North Texas (Rock star AD, new football stadium & facilities, very clearly pushing as hard as they can to be the best they can be in major sports with serious $$$ investments),
UAB (A phoenix risen from the ashes. Top shelf coaching, insane $$$ commitment to rebuild program after being shut down, and multiple championships already in football),
FAU (Football championships, NCAA Final 4 run, Small but pretty stadium and fertile recruiting grounds)
Marshall (Storied football history, consistently strong basketball, excellent fan support, and respectable $$$ commitment)
JMU (HUGE athletic budget that rivals that of some Power 5 programs, very clear commitment to winning and championship caliber coaching, these are the types of programs other G5 programs want to be associated with)

These were just a few schools that came to mind that joined conferences that I know we'd all love to be in. MTSU just doesn't match up to them from a macro view. We had a nice basketball run but then fell off the face of the earth because of a bad hire. Where are the football championships? Where are the new facilities? Where is the clear commitment from our administration to win at all costs? Where is the fan support?

We have none of these things. And you can't decide to take things seriously at the 11th hour because you realize you've put yourself in such a shitty situation. You have to be proactive in this type of world and environment, not reactive. And our administration has been anything but that, so now we will pay the price.

Last edited:
I remember this from a year or two ago. We were talking about schools we would like to see or anticipate joining CUSA. Not saying he's a soothsayer, but it's a name sWiley said watch out for in the future. He brought up Tarleton, a school & name I had never heard of in the past. If remembering correctly he brought up the explosion that would develop with Tarleton due to enrollment, endowments, & being a part of the A&M family.
Now they're getting a $110 million basketball facility to go along with a 24,000 seat football stadium. Who knows the future, but that sounds cumulatively nicer than what Kennesaw is bringing to the table. And they're already here.
Is Kennesaw even coming? There football schedule for this year is pathetic, i haven't seen anything that they have raised the money for the move or stadium, and i'm here in ATL

Is Kennesaw even coming? There football schedule for this year is pathetic, i haven't seen anything that they have raised the money for the move or stadium, and i'm here in ATL
Aren't they playing at that soccer stadium?

Aren't they playing at that soccer stadium?
It’s their stadium. Atlanta’s professional lacrosse team and Atlanta II soccer have used it. It’s a nice little stadium, built to be expandable. Currently holds 9,000. I suspect it will be like Charlotte’s is now (15,000) within a few years.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
They had the ASUN cancel their games with them so they started from scratch on this years schedule. The stadium has plans in place for 20k seats. They will be horseshoeing it in and adding a new press box. They also have a new baseball stadium in the works. Their AD is just as tight lipped as ours.

They had the ASUN cancel their games with them so they started from scratch on this years schedule. The stadium has plans in place for 20k seats. They will be horseshoeing it in and adding a new press box. They also have a new baseball stadium in the works. Their AD is just as tight lipped as ours.
have they raised the funds yet, since they can't use student fees for any of the move up

have they raised the funds yet, since they can't use student fees for any of the move up
They’ve got the funds in place from my understanding. I would be willing to bet they are using bonds for most of it.

Reactions: mtfblue
I was hoping for a reverse but it happened this year so now it's Oregon st's and WSU's turn to decide to build or go to the MWC or AAC. It could be a 1-1 split between the 2.

Supposedly Nevarez is making a stronger push than Aresco but he has said he has a plan for when SMU leaves.

I was personally hoping Calford would stay and they would rebuild the PAC, pulling the likes of SMU and Memphis. Now it seems it will stay west. If that is the case, we are locked where we are.

Apparently talks are in play for a reverse Pac12 merger with the MWC. Oregon st and WSU wants the remaining confference money and Navarez would be the new commish. Gonzaga could be in thee picture as well. So many rumors floating.

We need to blow up Massaros email, social media, etc. asking him to be proactive and aggressive to get us in the AAC. package deal with WKU is fine, but make a strong push now!

What is the contact info for him? Email address or should we contact someone else?

Last edited:
Reactions: BRaiderDave
Supposedly Nevarez is making a stronger push than Aresco but he has said he has a plan for when SMU leaves.

I was personally hoping Calford would stay and they would rebuild the PAC, pulling the likes of SMU and Memphis. Now it seems it will stay west. If that is the case, we are locked where we are.
I think it's just as possible that SDSU, UNLV, CSU, Memphis, and a handful of other AAC / MWC schools could go PAC12.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
We need to blow up Massaros email, social media, etc. asking him to be proactive and aggressive to get us in the AAC. package deal with WKU is fine, but make a strong push now!

What is he contact info for him?
Ever heard of: GoBlueRaiders.com?

Apparently talks are in play for a reverse Pac12 merger with the MWC. Oregon st and WSU wants the remaining confference money and Navarez would be the new commish. Gonzaga could be in thee picture as well. So many rumors floating.

Looks like WSU and OSU will be joining someone - I don't think the P12 has anything left to offer, and rebuilding it will take too many moving parts (and the MWC schools have too big of a buyout to go anywhere).

AAC offers better TV package/money.
MWC offers better travel/more regional partners.

I still think they need to just make a new conference with the best of the rest - top 4 or 5 teams from MWC if you ahve to wait for the buyout to drop) and AAC, WSU/OSU. Any real high achieving other programs.

Looks like WSU and OSU will be joining someone - I don't think the P12 has anything left to offer, and rebuilding it will take too many moving parts (and the MWC schools have too big of a buyout to go anywhere).

AAC offers better TV package/money.
MWC offers better travel/more regional partners.

I still think they need to just make a new conference with the best of the rest - top 4 or 5 teams from MWC if you ahve to wait for the buyout to drop) and AAC, WSU/OSU. Any real high achieving other programs.
Boise had a different revenue share than the rest of the MWC for a long time (cannot remember where I read that). I think that changed and they were really upset about it. I would think the MWC would agree to that for a period of time to offset the AAC offer.

Boise had a different revenue share than the rest of the MWC for a long time (cannot remember where I read that). I think that changed and they were really upset about it. I would think the MWC would agree to that for a period of time to offset the AAC offer.
The current deal is the last with Boise getting more. They wanted it to end and came to an agreement for one last deal.

Just read that the AAC isn't expanding west and doesn't want just OSU and Wazzu.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT