ADVERTISEMENT

Fire up the rumor mill: Missouri St to CUSA???

Personally I think the most important aspect to the future of MT athletics falls back to one person. Lee De Leon, end of sentence. Lee realized one thing about MT that many others never did. It was an untapped oil field. Only thing is the other supposed money drivers who came here before never quite new how to turn on the spigot.
This dude knows how to turn on the pipeline. As word gets out about what he's been able to do here I anticipate he'll be moving down the road sometime. The hope is he'll be here long enough to complete our goal towards funding our expansion. If he can pick up around 25 million annually for a couple more years before the head hunters come after him we should be able to hopefully have funds for everything including the IPF. One thing for sure, I doubt MT would be where it's at right now without his drive & motivation.
10000% we wouldn't have the fundraising dollars we do, BRAA support (Hans and his team have been incredible), without Lee.

I personally hope we keep him long enough till CM retires and he can become AD. Sure the big schools will come after him but that might let us keep him a few more years.

I'm always a glass half full kinda guy. I just can't be negative nancy. Not in my bones. Smith's tenure should be up soon and hopefully that will help with McP's renewal as well. There is hope.

I harp on getting out of CUSA. But if the league can survive AND grow via current FBS members and not FCS jumps, there is a chance that could work. I have zero doubt there will be a split off within the next 10-15 years in FBS. I'm fine with being in the second group, I just don't want to remain in the bottom conference in that second group. Realistically we have until '28 or so. By then the ACC exits will be more affordable, the TV deals heading towards renewal for other conferences (MAC and MWC will renew before then), and a better picture of where things stand.

So we have 5 years to get crap fixed, and we need Lee for all of those five years, and then some. Five years to CONSTANTLY be in communication, suggesting, presenting, and working to put us in the best position for us when the dust settles.

That's what I'm seeing too. UM, Rice, Tulane and USF are being considered which will be expensive for travel alone. If that happens we are in the AAC. We will get a call as soon as UM announces they are gone. It will just be CUSA all over again.
This would leave the AAC as:

UAB
ECU
FAU
UNCC
UNT
SMU (interchangeable with Rice IMO)
Temple
Tulsa
UTSA
Wichita State

If WKU comes with us, this is obviously a much more attractive conference than CUSA

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
This would leave the AAC as:

UAB
ECU
FAU
UNCC
UNT
SMU (interchangeable with Rice IMO)
Temple
Tulsa
UTSA
Wichita State

If WKU comes with us, this is obviously a much more attractive conference than CUSA
This would be a great situation to be in. The old CUSA wasn't bad, and this is a step up from that. Would be fantastic if this works out.

The problem has been that we got left behind when our peers moved to the AAC. So while our peers 3 years ago moved on, we "moved down" by being left behind and the conference backfilled around us.

So we have to root for the PAC12 rebuild. Go P12! To be honest, it's still the best scenario for the remaining 4 schools. The ACC doesn't want them so they might as well do this.

Personally I think the most important aspect to the future of MT athletics falls back to one person. Lee De Leon, end of sentence. Lee realized one thing about MT that many others never did. It was an untapped oil field. Only thing is the other supposed money drivers who came here before never quite new how to turn on the spigot.
This dude knows how to turn on the pipeline. As word gets out about what he's been able to do here I anticipate he'll be moving down the road sometime. The hope is he'll be here long enough to complete our goal towards funding our expansion. If he can pick up around 25 million annually for a couple more years before the head hunters come after him we should be able to hopefully have funds for everything including the IPF. One thing for sure, I doubt MT would be where it's at right now without his drive & motivation.
I agree. Lee is type of guy I wish Massaro would be. A hard charging go getter. Personally, I hope he's gone in five years. That means he kicked butt here and put us in a better situation moving forward and has aspirations to move up the food chain.

I hate having folks here for 18+ years in the same spot. They either have no aspirations or suck and no one else wants them. I'm in no way see that being Lee. Lee is doing a fantastic job and is a matter of time before he is plucked for greener pastures. Hopefully he can get us turned around before then.

10000% we wouldn't have the fundraising dollars we do, BRAA support (Hans and his team have been incredible), without Lee.

I personally hope we keep him long enough till CM retires and he can become AD. Sure the big schools will come after him but that might let us keep him a few more years.

I'm always a glass half full kinda guy. I just can't be negative nancy. Not in my bones. Smith's tenure should be up soon and hopefully that will help with McP's renewal as well. There is hope.

I harp on getting out of CUSA. But if the league can survive AND grow via current FBS members and not FCS jumps, there is a chance that could work. I have zero doubt there will be a split off within the next 10-15 years in FBS. I'm fine with being in the second group, I just don't want to remain in the bottom conference in that second group. Realistically we have until '28 or so. By then the ACC exits will be more affordable, the TV deals heading towards renewal for other conferences (MAC and MWC will renew before then), and a better picture of where things stand.

So we have 5 years to get crap fixed, and we need Lee for all of those five years, and then some. Five years to CONSTANTLY be in communication, suggesting, presenting, and working to put us in the best position for us when the dust settles.
Lee will make an awesome AD, just hope it is here.

I think the pipeline is really stocked for our future in terms of the AD. Lee would be an amazing fit for the AD. If he is taken I would slide Hans into his role and groom him to takeover. He is essentially the same person as Lee just with a little less experience (from my perspective). The dream scenario would be to have Lee take the AD, Hans to the lead deputy AD, and then when Lee gets plucked move Hans to AD. Rinse and repeat every 4-5 years.

CM deserves a little bit of credit because the people he is surrounded by are excellent. If Rick could do that we might be what we all had hoped for. However we know that’s not going to happen.

I'm with you on this. After all this shuffling around, if we end up stuck in CUSA, with the same group of FCS start ups that are in the conference now, then I'll realistically have to consider if I still even care anymore. It will have proven we will NEVER move beyond this point and we should have gone MAC.

NTX, UAB, FAU, etc. was our peer group, but obviously better leadership. They have clearly moved light years ahead of us, which is very, very sad.

I think this might be the end of the ride for me, unless we can make a miracle happen. Someone give me hope.
The 4 AAC schools already committed to make the jump are the 4 high academic schools, waiting on Cal and Stanford now to commit. Memphis is lower on the list...SMU, Rice, Tulane and new AAU member USF.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I can't believe how much stock people put into what is said on Twitter.

Anyway, Stanford is still trying to get the ACC or Big 10 to take them. They apparently gave the ACC a deadline, but then continue to try to get in even positioning influencers to help them. It is in the best interest of Oregon State and Washington St to keep the PAC alive (because they don't want to join the MWC or AAC and can probably create a better deal situation by selectively plucking others). But for it to work they need Cal and Stanford - both of whom don't want to be associated what would be considered the best of the rest.

So, Stanford isn't committing to this still seeking an exit. Cal is pretty much oblivious, and OSU and WSU are trying to save the league. They likely can't do that unless Stanford fails (and accepts it) that they can't get anywhere else. I'm seeing the potential for at least half a dozen scenarios that are all bad for MT. And maybe only one or two that are good.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
That's what I'm seeing too. UM, Rice, Tulane and USF are being considered which will be expensive for travel alone. If that happens we are in the AAC. We will get a call as soon as UM announces they are gone. It will just be CUSA all over again.
UM is down the line...it's SMU, Tulane, USF and Rice. Are the 4 that has made the commitment to leave. Just waiting on Cal and Stanford to say they are staying

Another off topic, but does MT have anything like these cans for the beer garden or the fermentation school? Don't they sell their own beer at games? Thinking of ways they can raise money.

I guess the question is, if Memphis DOESNT go, do we still get a call?

There's no way Stanford would agree to be in a league with Memphis. No offense to Memphis, but it's just not happening.

If Stanford and Cal go to the ACC, then maybe OSU/WSU just take everyone who wants to come from the AAC and it's done, or the Pac12 is dissolved and they join the MWC.

Like MT01 said, there's a lot of scenarios out there that look really bad for us....and only one (maybe two) that look good. And those scenarios are looking increasingly unlikely. If Stanford & Cal go to the ACC which appears to possibly be eminent, then we are screwed.

I'll say it again. We missed our chance with the last round of realignment. I think we are screwed and our choices will be to live with CUSA and the possibility of more FCS start ups like a Tarleton State, or go to the MAC. Or a third option (my choice) just close football and focus on basketball. Try to become a VCU or dare I say Gonzaga

Last edited:
There's no way Stanford would agree to be in a league with Memphis. No offense to Memphis, but it's just not happening.

If Stanford and Cal go to the ACC, then maybe OSU/WSU just take everyone who wants to come from the AAC and it's done, or the Pac12 is dissolved and they join the MWC.

Like MT01 said, there's a lot of scenarios out there that look really bad for us....and only one (maybe two) that look good. And those scenarios are looking increasingly unlikely. If Stanford & Cal go to the ACC which appears to possibly be eminent, then we are screwed.

I'll say it again. We missed our chance with the last round of realignment. I think we are screwed and our choices will be to live with CUSA and the possibility of more FCS start ups like a Tarleton State, or go to the MAC. Or a third option (my choice) just close football and focus on basketball. Try to become a VCU or dare I say Gonzaga
If Stanford and Cal go ACC then the PAC assets remain with OSU/Wazzu and the PAC will expand. That's good for us. Possible they merge with AAC, which would be bad for us.

The OSU AD has been quoted as saying they are waiting on Calford and go from there.

So all is not lost, but not looking good. I personally am 1000% against no football. We are building facilities and I prefer football more than basketball, no matter who we are playing.

Stanford is not in the position to be choosy. It's either this or indy for them. No one else and I mean no one else wants them. Memphis football is better than them and their basketball is better right now. Once they pluck 4 schools and 4 mwc schools, they will be good for now. Rice is a dumb choice. They didn't do jack for us but drag us down. UAB would be good but they are on a memphis level. No difference in the 2. SMU is ok. NAVY is ok but also grab Air Force and you have a good rivalry.

Another off topic, but does MT have anything like these cans for the beer garden or the fermentation school? Don't they sell their own beer at games? Thinking of ways they can raise money.

Soooo many schools are doing this. Louisville just did, NDSU as well. WVU's collective Country Roads Trust did Trust Lager. Is all over the state and really good. A huge chunk of the $ go straight to the Trust.

With our partnerships already in place for the beer garden as well as our degree program, we absolutely need to do this. I'm gonna call out Lee.

Reactions: ewglenn
I don't understand why PAC doesn't go after SMU, Rice, Tulane and a Navy (football only) to rebuild their conference and keep high academic standards in the conference. Maybe add some MWC teams in a few years if they want to get to 10. I understand it doesn't move the needle in terms of $$$ they can generate, but they really don't have a lot of options.

This seems like the most logical choice. They will have added DFW, Houston, NO and a service academy market. That doesn't seem to bad.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Stanford is not in the position to be choosy. It's either this or indy for them. No one else and I mean no one else wants them. Memphis football is better than them and their basketball is better right now. Once they pluck 4 schools and 4 mwc schools, they will be good for now. Rice is a dumb choice. They didn't do jack for us but drag us down. UAB would be good but they are on a memphis level. No difference in the 2. SMU is ok. NAVY is ok but also grab Air Force and you have a good rivalry.

You keep saying that but 10 of 14 schools in the ACC does want Stanford. They can be choosy to a degree because they have the best academics of any D1 school in the nation and have the best all around amateur athletics enterprise in the world. Where they can’t be picky is where decisions are solely being driven by TV executives. Which is why they are in the position they are in.

Reactions: RaiderDeez

I could see this happening. App’s fermentation science program has been around longer than ours. Any name/style ideas for out signature beer?

You keep saying that but 10 of 14 schools in the ACC does want Stanford. They can be choosy to a degree because they have the best academics of any D1 school in the nation and have the best all around amateur athletics enterprise in the world. Where they can’t be picky is where decisions are solely being driven by TV executives. Which is why they are in the position they are in.
They aren't going to the ACC. It's either indy or bust. Academics doesn't matter. TV media is paying for all of this change. College athletics are about media dollars now.

I could see this happening. App’s fermentation science program has been around longer than ours. Any name/style ideas for out signature beer?
That's because in Boone, all there is to do is drink. LOL. I kid. I love App's program and setting,

They aren't going to the ACC. It's either indy or bust. Academics doesn't matter. TV media is paying for all of this change. College athletics are about media dollars now.

First and foremost, you have been saying the ACC doesn’t want them. The Commissioner of the ACC wants them and 71% of the ACC members want them. So, how can you keep saying the ACC “as a whole” isn’t interested. It’s only four schools blocking it and they only have to flip one of them. And I believe UNC can be flipped. It’s gone from unlikely to what I believe is 65 to 70% chance it’s going to happen. Stanford is so desperate for this to happen they have offered to take zero revenue from the league for several years. They are more interested in association than money. And I guess might as well considering they have a multi billion dollar endowment.

I thought it would either be a rebuilt PAC or Stanford Indy but now there is high probability Stanford’s offer can sway at least one of the holdouts.

Actually there is another meeting tomorrow. Stanford has offered to take only enough media payouts for travel, so the rest of the pro-rata add can be split amongst existing members. I would assume Cal would as well but who knows.

SMU has offered full blown free for several years.

The schools are using literal political clout too with Condeleza Rice calling on behalf of Stanford and George Bush on behalf of SMU.

Actually there is another meeting tomorrow. Stanford has offered to take only enough media payouts for travel, so the rest of the pro-rata add can be split amongst existing members. I would assume Cal would as well but who knows.

SMU has offered full blown free for several years.

The schools are using literal political clout too with Condeleza Rice calling on behalf of Stanford and George Bush on behalf of SMU.
From what I've been reading, even the 70% of the teams that were willing to vote yes were deeply concerned about the travel and logisitics. They were begrudgedly voting in favor. It wasn't like "we must have them". However, them leaving helps us. I think it's stupid because the ACC's media deal is terrible and the travel costs will put a greater strain on the teams that already have to split up more cash. All this move will do is speed up the timeline of the ACC's breakup.. FSU and Clemson will bail ASAP and the other teams will start looking. PAC12 all over again., As far as Bush and Rice are concerned, if the ACC listens to 2 political figures that got us into a 15 year / multi-trillion dollar war that solved absolutely nothing, then they deserve everything that's coming to them.

I still think the PAC12 will try a rebuild.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RaiderDeez
There are alcohol energy drinks out there. We could have one simply called "Lightning" with the MT logo & energy bolt under it. Or some variation like " Blue Raider Bolt" with once again a lightning bolt under it. Using MT blue for the can with white lettering & a silver bolt could look sharp.
Lastly, but a definite stretch. A non-alcohol MT energy drink called "BREW" for "Blue Raider Energy Water".
As a disclaimer I haven't ventured down to the Beer Garden yet, & we may already have something like that. If we do my bad.

It looks like Stanford and Cal have convinced one of the holdouts. Sports illustrated is reporting. https://www.si.com/college/stanford...-have-momentum-in-their-favor-to-join-the-acc

I think this gets done by Monday if not sooner over the weekend. Stanford to the ACC. Only question is whether SMU and Cal get to coattail in.

All of this is about to make my head explode. Somebody please lay out a scenario in which MT comes out on the good side of things for once.

It's difficult to find a warm and fuzzy scenario. Not making it to Sun Belt last year or AAC this year has put us in very precarious position.

There's likely a presumption that the loss of SMU (if it happens) opens a spot directly in the AAC or indirectly in the SBC. However, if we tease this out, there's still the liklihood that the P3 or P2 (WSU and OSU) decides just to join the MWC. If that happens not much happens at our level. Or those two attempt to pluck AAC and MWC schools to preserve the PAC brand. If they are successful, you could end up with the MWC and AAC plundered. At which case the remnants merge. Again, not a lot of opportunity there depending on what numbers look like.

The bottom line is that it's really difficult to tell right now.

In that case and the AAC falls apart, wouldn't our media deal be more valuable next time. As we all know, the AAC won't get near as much losing many teams. I don't know how long their deal is goes through.

It's difficult to find a warm and fuzzy scenario. Not making it to Sun Belt last year or AAC this year has put us in very precarious position.

There's likely a presumption that the loss of SMU (if it happens) opens a spot directly in the AAC or indirectly in the SBC. However, if we tease this out, there's still the liklihood that the P3 or P2 (WSU and OSU) decides just to join the MWC. If that happens not much happens at our level. Or those two attempt to pluck AAC and MWC schools to preserve the PAC brand. If they are successful, you could end up with the MWC and AAC plundered. At which case the remnants merge. Again, not a lot of opportunity there depending on what numbers look like.

The bottom line is that it's really difficult to tell right now.
Agreed.

But I'll play anyway.

Cal / Stanford go to ACC. Oregon State / WSU add UNLV, SDSU, SMU, CSU, Memphis, Tulsa, Tulane, Air Force, & Boise in what amounts to be a "best of the rest" of MWC, PAC12, and AAC.

MWC backfires with UTEP & NMSU

AAC backfills with MTSU, WKU, and one or two other schools.

Oregon St. sounds hellbent on reviving the PAC12. Definitely weird times. I know SMU has money but they belong in a power conference about as much as MT belongs in the SEC. IMO.

Reactions: ewglenn
Agreed.

But I'll play anyway.

Cal / Stanford go to ACC. Oregon State / WSU add UNLV, SDSU, SMU, CSU, Memphis, Tulsa, Tulane, Air Force, & Boise in what amounts to be a "best of the rest" of MWC, PAC12, and AAC.

and then CUSA backs fills with the WAC/Asun schools

I still struggle to see the ACC adding two teams that make no sense geographically and aren't exactly stellar in fanbase/media coverage. I mean they couldn't get a big enough media deal with the PAC. Stanford is well rounded in athletics, but I don't think they have a big media draw so what does it really give you when watching Miami play Stanford? Cal adds nothing to a conference, except academic standards and these deals are driven by money so that doesn't mean much. I don't see much benefit for ACC. If I'm the ACC, I add SMU, Tulane and maybe Rice right away and let Stanford and Cal stay on the outside.

I think if ACC adds Stanford and Cal, they have to add another 2 geographically close schools to make it even reasonable. SMU, Rice and Tulane could be candidates, but they still aren't geographically close.

Why are Stanford/Cal not trying to drive their own destiny? Why aren't they the ones trying to rebuild the conference? Instead they are just begging for invites. Rebuild your conference with 4 AAC schools (SMU, Tulane, Rice and ???) and wait until next year to raid the MWC for more programs. That makes the most sense for them AND gives a shot for MT to get in the AAC.

Agreed.

But I'll play anyway.

If the MWC and AAC lose that many teams they will be forced to merge.

Reactions: AustinLewis
I still struggle to see the ACC adding two teams that make no sense geographically and aren't exactly stellar in fanbase/media coverage. I mean they couldn't get a big enough media deal with the PAC. Stanford is well rounded in athletics, but I don't think they have a big media draw so what does it really give you when watching Miami play Stanford? Cal adds nothing to a conference, except academic standards and these deals are driven by money so that doesn't mean much. I don't see much benefit for ACC. If I'm the ACC, I add SMU, Tulane and maybe Rice right away and let Stanford and Cal stay on the outside.

I think if ACC adds Stanford and Cal, they have to add another 2 geographically close schools to make it even reasonable. SMU, Rice and Tulane could be candidates, but they still aren't geographically close.

Why are Stanford/Cal not trying to drive their own destiny? Why aren't they the ones trying to rebuild the conference? Instead they are just begging for invites. Rebuild your conference with 4 AAC schools (SMU, Tulane, Rice and ???) and wait until next year to raid the MWC for more programs. That makes the most sense for them AND gives a shot for MT to get in the AAC.
Because 1) they want to be affiliated with a power conference. The PAC no longer is. 2) What's left to add are largely schools they don't want to be associated with academically.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT