ADVERTISEMENT

Fire up the rumor mill: Missouri St to CUSA???

As a choice over other FCS schools, I wouldn't fuss. Football stadium needs a bit of work but basketball arena is less than 20yrs old and seats over 10k. The conference could absolutely do worse.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
The question would be who would come with them? SFA is the logical choice but they are not ready and pretty much a poor man’s SHSU.

The question would be who would come with them? SFA is the logical choice but they are not ready and pretty much a poor man’s SHSU.
Can confirm (second-hand sources) that SFA is preparing to make the FBS jump. Not sure if that was part of the Alliance move, however.

• Wow
Can confirm (second-hand sources) that SFA is preparing to make the FBS jump. Not sure if that was part of the Alliance move, however.

I dare say they will need some major upgrades to make the jump. Although alot of the WAC/ASUN schools will if all that happens.

Reactions: AustinLewis
Missouri State wouldn't be the worst add. Probably should have been ahead of some of the crap we added.

At least people wouldn't have to google what is it - unlike our last few what-the-hell-is-a-Kennesaw? and you-mean-Jacksonville-isn't-in-Florida? type additions..

Missouri St makes a lot of sense. I have a feeling Judy will go west to even the divisions but if we’re looking at best available to pair them with I think it’s EKU. That would be a solid conference with some good rivalries.

You take Mizz St, EKU, CAU and SFA and get to 14 teams and stay in 2 divisions.

Me personally, if I were Commissioner, I wouldn't add anyone. Maybe 2 more to get to 12, but that is it.

I'd wait for several reasons.
* P12 mess. See how all that filters out. It could affect the MWC which could affect our western schools of UTEP and NMSU.
* CFP. It will change in '26 and we don't want to shoot ourselves in the foot. See how that works out.
* B1G/SEC. They aren't done yet and there is a distinct possibility it will be them and everyone else next contract round. I think if we dillute ourselves with too many FCS jumps it will hurt our seat at the table as one of the "Other 8".
* ACC. They won't last until their '36 GoR is up. There will be movement.

Our TV deal is extremely competitive compared to SBC and MAC. Why dilute it more. Focus on building the brand and schools you have. Yormark with the B12 has beyond impressed me. TV deal, sponsorships, thinking outside the box. We need a commissioner who does that.

Me personally, if I were Commissioner, I wouldn't add anyone. Maybe 2 more to get to 12, but that is it.

I'd wait for several reasons.
* P12 mess. See how all that filters out. It could affect the MWC which could affect our western schools of UTEP and NMSU.
* CFP. It will change in '26 and we don't want to shoot ourselves in the foot. See how that works out.
* B1G/SEC. They aren't done yet and there is a distinct possibility it will be them and everyone else next contract round. I think if we dillute ourselves with too many FCS jumps it will hurt our seat at the table as one of the "Other 8".
* ACC. They won't last until their '36 GoR is up. There will be movement.

Our TV deal is extremely competitive compared to SBC and MAC. Why dilute it more. Focus on building the brand and schools you have. Yormark with the B12 has beyond impressed me. TV deal, sponsorships, thinking outside the box. We need a commissioner who does that.
I’m personally in favor of staying at 10. I wouldn’t be opposed to adding just Missouri St to get to 11. We did it this past season just fine. I think they’re the only realistic FCS add that I think provides any value. I’m happy with the conference we’ve got now and would like to get more familiar with the new teams before adding more.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Missouri State would be a solid addition, good for basketball, getting better with football.

Too many teams is bad for basketball. We need more out-of-conference games to raise RPI's. (Especially the women's basketball)

We are AA baseball league at best. With beach volleyball we can start a banana baseball league. Sad

Smaller conferences ($ wise) probably look at these non-revenue sports as an opportunity for relationships and publicity being associated with bigger schools. For example P12 is the only major conference that sponsors beach volleyball. FSU, LSU, S Carolina are all affiliates in other conferences. ASUN and SBC also sponsor it.

Bringing this back as it probably is the best place.

Apparently (in order to leave for the '24 season) if they give notice before June 30th, its $16m. After it's $34m. Hence the request for an extension.
Let the madness begin.

SDSU to PAC 12 / Big 12.

Where they end up makes a difference.

Do they go PAC 12? And is it enough to keep Arizona / Arizona State in house? Or do Colorado, ASU, and Arizona head to BIG 12?

SDSU to PAC 12 / Big 12.

Where they end up makes a difference.

Do they go PAC 12? And is it enough to keep Arizona / Arizona State in house? Or do Colorado, ASU, and Arizona head to BIG 12?
That is the question. If they go to P12 and the 4 corners stay, it won't affect things that much. Even if the P12 adds a second MWC school or even SMU. But...

If they go P12 (even a TV deal lower than the B12 is more than SDSU has now), and Colorado and/or AZ leaves, things could get interesting. More schools could leave the MWC to fill in the P12. Then could the MWC try to backfill with our western schools? I mean I bet UTEP and NMSU would rather be in the more condensed MWC footprint.

Or if Colorado leaves, does it create a huge exodus and do the P12 and MWC essentially merge? We all know that Oregon and Washington want B1G. But would the B12 take them and make a deal for if they ever do leave for the B1G?

If SDSU goes B12, who else will they take. Memphis? (what will the AAC do?) UCONN? If the 4 corners stay in the P12, SDSU will need a B12 travel partner. UNLV? Another MWC school?

Mainly all hinges on the new TV deal. Not just $, but linear exposure as well. A move up G5 probably wouldn't fuss at some streaming if the $ is good. But current P12 schools may balk at that. Could get very interesting.

Arizona Daily Star reported yesterday PAC 12's new Media deal deadline will be reported Friday July 21st at the latest.

SDSU seems too much of a little league team to go Big 12. Cincinnati and UCF sort of made sense, because they are much more committed and have shown more success. What has SDSU done? Seems like they would just want the CA market.

Still crossing my fingers Memphis goes somewhere else to open a spot for MT in the AAC.

It's all about the CA market. Makes sense the P12 would want to stay in southern Cal. Yormark wants the B12 to be coast to coast in all 4 timezones. Essentially have B12 football from noon to midnight and be the only conference doing it.

Looks like it may end up being the B12. If the MWC feels SDSU has resigned, it isn't like they can wait in limbo till the P12 gets their act together. The MWC is saying you don't have a home here come next July. I bet Yormark is already calling them.

Twitter comments flying like crazy about SDSU right now. Embarrassing turn of events since going to NCAA championship game in March.

Reactions: ewglenn
The way they came out and stated they were leaving, I just assumed they had a deal in place already.
Probably thought with BIG12 expansion and PAC10, there would be an opening...

But PAC 10 probably isn't going to expand UNLESS the TV money comes through (it probably won't). Oregon / WA aren't settling for a low deal because they have a "low key" invite to BIG10 once the BIG12 expands and the PAC10 officially collapses.

BIG12 will add Colorado, Arizona, and potentially another school or two (ASU/Utah/SDSU?) leaving Oregon, WA, Cal, and / or Stanford going to BIG10 while WSU & OSU end up going to MWC...unless...

BIG10 only invites Oregon / WA, which means Stanford and Cal may be forced to allow SMU, SDSU, and another school or two into the PAC10 to survive.

Probably thought with BIG12 expansion and PAC10, there would be an opening...

But PAC 10 probably isn't going to expand UNLESS the TV money comes through (it probably won't). Oregon / WA aren't settling for a low deal because they have a "low key" invite to BIG10 once the BIG12 expands and the PAC10 officially collapses.

BIG12 will add Colorado, Arizona, and potentially another school or two (ASU/Utah/SDSU?) leaving Oregon, WA, Cal, and / or Stanford going to BIG10 while WSU & OSU end up going to MWC...unless...

BIG10 only invites Oregon / WA, which means Stanford and Cal may be forced to allow SMU, SDSU, and another school or two into the PAC10 to survive.
So many scenarios. Is there a deadline for the tv negotiations?

So many scenarios. Is there a deadline for the tv negotiations?
I want to say I read there is a tentative deadline. But, at this point, I've read so many possibilities and scenarios (like the one listed above), that I'm hesitant to say...

Regardless, SDSU admin REALLY mishandled this.

It's like a 3 star commit decommiting from MT because they think they may get an offer from Tennessee only to find out that offer may or may not come.

This report is a year old but I've seen similar sentiments recently. Not to mention Cal is getting $2m a year from UCLA as a consolation for the board allowing the B10 move. They are majorly hurting financially. I could see Stanford going indy or saying screw it like this article says.

I think all it will take is one school saying they are leaving the P10, and that is the end of it as the floodgates will open.

At this point either go all in and jump to 16 or leave it be. This little grab a school here, grab one there is nuts. But, it may be the smartest move crazily.

I 100% believe that by the time the next B1G/SEC deals come up for negotiation that the ACC will implode. There are too many teams for just the big two, and the B12 won't want them all. Some "current P5" teams will drop down so to speak. It'll happen. A large part of me thinks we (as in CUSA and MT both) should wait till then to see what happens. If we dilute ourselves too much with FCS jumps it may hurt us when that next round comes. Our deal ends after the '27 season (with an option for '28) so we have time to watch the market.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT