ADVERTISEMENT

Fire up the rumor mill: Missouri St to CUSA???

If we go big, we need to do something to differentiate ourselves. I've said it before... in conference playoff.

* 16 teams (would need slightly adjusted for 20)
* Split up in to 4 pods (for ex NSEW)
* each team plays 7 scheduled conference games, 4 out of conference
* N plays their 3 and 4 in S. E plays their 3 and 4 in W, on rotation.
* then for 8th conf game, top E team plays top N. Top W plays top S. Played at top seed home. Opponents are rotated to division opposite of what is on reg schedule.
* winners of those games play in conf champ. Could be neutral or top seed site.

With super conferences coming, we will need to do something out of the box to be different. No other conference will have a built in playoff so to speak. We can't just be another conference.

Reactions: mtfblue and ewglenn
I think I've expressed this before, so sorry if I'm repeating an earlier post: If MT ends in the same conference as austin peay state, it will indicate how much of a fraud has been conducted on MT students, fans and alumni after 25 years of futility in FBS/D1A football. It will prove what an absolute failure MT athletics and the university as a whole has been and an indictment of the current long in the tooth leadership. Unforgiveable. Three effigies should be burned on the lawn of Cope if that comes to fruition.

Unless some crazy legal mess happens (like dissolution of the conference), nothing will change until around 2033 or so, 3yrs before ACC deal is up. Which just happens to be the time the SEC will begin negotiations foe their deal that expires in 2034.

If Clemson/FSU were to leave now it would be $52m exit fee plus media rights till end of deal. So that's 13yrs left at $35m means $507m to leave now. If schools leave for a new SEC deal that say is negotiated to being early in 2033, it would only cost a bit over $250m as that $35m goes up during the deal. They would recoup that in the SEC deal before the ACC deal would even be up as the SEC will hit $100m before even the end of current deal. But still, $250m is a huge chunk of change for a public institution to throw around.

It's why I say CUSA "may" want to wait and see how all thst works out before expanding super big.

If you ain't P5 why even bother?
I get why people say that, but I hate this mentality. I despise the whole P5/G5 moniker that was essentially created by the media. As long as we are in an FBS conference, we are the same. Is there a $/support/talent difference, absolutely. But it's like those alumni that went to MT but pull for UT because it's a "real school". I don't agree at all.

Especially with the new playoff. Do I see us with Stock and the support we have making it, no. But is it possible for a school like us now, when it was nearly impossible with four teams, yes.

The AAC isn't what it was. It's next media deal will show that. No way in heck they are getting $7m a yr next round. The smaller $ conferences are very close to each other now. Any of the five are capable of grabbing the 6th playoff spot (some years the 5th too especially depending on what happens with the P12) with the right system in place. We just don't have that, right now. And won't until certain specific people are no longer in place.

I get why people say that, but I hate this mentality. I despise the whole P5/G5 moniker that was essentially created by the media. As long as we are in an FBS conference, we are the same. Is there a $/support/talent difference, absolutely. But it's like those alumni that went to MT but pull for UT because it's a "real school". I don't agree at all.

Especially with the new playoff. Do I see us with Stock and the support we have making it, no. But is it possible for a school like us now, when it was nearly impossible with four teams, yes.

The AAC isn't what it was. It's next media deal will show that. No way in heck they are getting $7m a yr next round. The smaller $ conferences are very close to each other now. Any of the five are capable of grabbing the 6th playoff spot (some years the 5th too especially depending on what happens with the P12) with the right system in place. We just don't have that, right now. And won't until certain specific people are no longer in place.
I see your point, but the upper echelon athletic schools will do everything in their power to keep the G5 schools down.

If this is actually true, it is purely based on basketball. Gonna need something more official though.

Rumblings from the WVU pundits around here is that it is true. Supposedly the conference "has a plan" and it involves UCONN and one school out west that will be determined after the P12 media deal mess is figured out. Yormark will supposedly be content with 14 schools until the next deal comes around for 2031 when he will go after non-football schools like Gonzaga and see what the ACC is up to by then.

For the next deal he wants to separate bball to its own deal and grow it. He's already hosted scrimmages in NY (why he wants UCONN) and has games scheduled in Mexico as well. His eventual goal is to be a coast to coast conference.

It’s amazing to see what Louisville has done in a short time.
Many schools can say that on that list. For face palm notes....UCF had their first FBS season in 1996. A mere 3yrs before our first. They were actually members of the MAC for a time too.

And to think Tulane was a founding member of the SEC.

I put this on the AAC board yesterday because I know they are all interested in this. Even though I’m retired from realignment I still catch a few things here and there.

Big 12 wants the four corner schools to come too but that looks tenuous right now. Seems they are at least going to wait and see what the tv deal looks like. UConn is next in line if the four corners schools stay with the PAC.

This whole thing is hilarious. Someone tweeted this morning a very valid point. CU is leaving and paying ZERO in exit fees because the media deal will be up.

Yet we are supposed to believe the P12 can snag SMU etc? No network is going to offer anything without knowing the schools so any new school will require more media negotiations, no school is going to join without knowing numbers, and none of the remaining P12 schools are gonna wait longer to get TV finalized. No wonder SDSU elected to stay put.

The PAC will only survive if it merges with the MWC to become the Pacific West or something because supposedly UConn is now #3 on the B12 list with another PAC school #2. And I don't know how UConn can afford to leave the Big East anyway.
The B1G says they are "focused on making USC/UCLA work" but do we really think they'd not snag Oregon if there isn't a P12 left to destroy? Or will Oregon go B12 with a deal in place if the B1G comes calling? 🍿

This whole thing is hilarious. Someone tweeted this morning a very valid point. CU is leaving and paying ZERO in exit fees because the media deal will be up.

Yet we are supposed to believe the P12 can snag SMU etc? No network is going to offer anything without knowing the schools so any new school will require more media negotiations, no school is going to join without knowing numbers, and none of the remaining P12 schools are gonna wait longer to get TV finalized. No wonder SDSU elected to stay put.

The PAC will only survive if it merges with the MWC to become the Pacific West or something because supposedly UConn is now #3 on the B12 list with another PAC school #2. And I don't know how UConn can afford to leave the Big East anyway.
The B1G says they are "focused on making USC/UCLA work" but do we really think they'd not snag Oregon if there isn't a P12 left to destroy? Or will Oregon go B12 with a deal in place if the B1G comes calling? 🍿
for a MWC or AAC school going to the PAC is still more money and prestige. I thought someone said the Utes left a bad impression with Yormark? My money is on AZ, since the B12 is trying to do a separate deal for basketball next time. He will have 15 top 25 schools if he pulls AZ in along with UCONN

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
It literally doesn't mean much but there are reports that a slew of schools have applied to the PAC, including Colorado State, USF, Tulane, and Memphis. I say it doesn't mean much because UCF applied to all 5 autonomy conferences, including the PAC before being taken by B12.

AAC media deal is at around $7m/yr, MWC $5m. Even if the PAC expanded and got a new deal for $20m it would be worth the jump for that and the autonomy. Question is would Stanford, Oregon and the like accept that.

Some are saying if the MWC loses at least 2 (they are only at 12 now), they will grab UTEP/NMSU. I personally would shoot for the Dakotas myself, but anyway. IDK what the CUSA exit fee is now with the new GOR signed for the new media deal. All this literally could trickle down to us. Who knows.

All I know is I spend WAY too much time on Twitter following all the college gurus.

It literally doesn't mean much but there are reports that a slew of schools have applied to the PAC, including Colorado State, USF, Tulane, and Memphis. I say it doesn't mean much because UCF applied to all 5 autonomy conferences, including the PAC before being taken by B12.

AAC media deal is at around $7m/yr, MWC $5m. Even if the PAC expanded and got a new deal for $20m it would be worth the jump for that and the autonomy. Question is would Stanford, Oregon and the like accept that.

Some are saying if the MWC loses at least 2 (they are only at 12 now), they will grab UTEP/NMSU. I personally would shoot for the Dakotas myself, but anyway. IDK what the CUSA exit fee is now with the new GOR signed for the new media deal. All this literally could trickle down to us. Who knows.

All I know is I spend WAY too much time on Twitter following all the college gurus.
You and me both

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
No wonder we are where we are. Guy is director of recruiting for out football program.

Holy crap, I have no idea how I missed this.

Our director of recruiting has plenty of time to moonlight as an internet blogger.

That should tell you the type of "recruiting" this staff does.

If I was 19, i'd just hang around the stadium. Eventually someone would wander by and offer me a 'ship, no talent needed.

• Haha
Reactions: mtfblue
I know it's Barstool, but never the less.

Colorado pretty much sealed the fate of Memphis. The Big12 is now a realistic spot for AZ, Oregon and UTAH/ASU. The PAC12 not getting a deal done has caused this and now the Big12 will cherry pick P5's. Why would they not? No way id Memphis more appealing than a P5 with market share and the brand. It just is what it is. The Big12 is like the MAC was in a way for us. It might not be the dream destination, it's a place of stability with a locked in media deal. We passed like morons so now we get to be in the new OVC with APSU and EKU possibly coming in. I would love for Memphis to leave so we can go to the AAC but that just won't happen anytime soon.

Reactions: RaiderDeez

I'd like to see some consolidation. Memphis needs to go somewhere to open up a spot for us.

And, ASAP. We can't wait around while other FCS startups and nobodys with far more ambition start and build their program and pass us up.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I'd like to see some consolidation. Memphis needs to go somewhere to open up a spot for us.

And, ASAP. We can't wait around while other FCS startups and nobodys with far more ambition start and build their program and pass us up.
Memphis is going nowhere anytime soon. Memphis is not stopping MT from moving conferences. MT leadership is our problem.

I read that Memphis has sought out the PAC for consideration, even in its current state of chaos.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT