ADVERTISEMENT

Change the ---- name!

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
Went to my local Kroger and a display of MT growlers (two different types) was featured. Clearly MT because of the MT logo with the Pegasus on the top.

Sign for the display:

Tennessee State University Growlers
$ 9.99

and this is in a county adjoining Rutherford (not Davidson).

Will it never end?

There is a mirror sign in the bathroom at Jefferson's that says "Tennessee State University Blue Raiders" and has our logo in the middle. This is mere blocks from campus.

Since we're the only division 1 school with the "Middle" prefix, I don't mind when people call us Middle. There are all sorts of East and West schools.

I agree. I don't mind it either and i actually use it a lot. The key is not to have the middle and the state in the title.

I agree. I don't mind it either and i actually use it a lot. The key is not to have the middle and the state in the title.

I've been saying this for years. Just focus on Middle. Not a single other school has it. Still get rid of State but don't worry about the rest. Just begin calling ourselves Middle and begin winning and it will take care of itself.

I agree "state" needs to go but the flipside is "MTSU" does have some reconigtion around the region. Not comparing us to UCLA or UNLV, but does anybody say the whole name with those school. I think people go out of their way to say Middle Tennessee State, especially in the local media. Sometimes it's a dig.

Don't mind the Middle, but would prefer the State be dropped along with the awful mascot.
Have noticed that the winged horse (my wife calls Lightning "Pegasus" to bust my chops), has been left off of some items I've received of late.

Don't mind the Middle, but would prefer the State be dropped along with the awful mascot.
Have noticed that the winged horse (my wife calls Lightning "Pegasus" to bust my chops), has been left off of some items I've received of late.
Pegasus is better than "My Little Pony". I wish we would bring back RaiderMan. That was badass. Please drop the pony.

Reactions: mtsportsfan
RaiderMan should be added to the history and tradition of the Blue Raiders if only a footnote. Does anyone have pictures or facts?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
McPhee is a tool bag and I've accepted that nothing major will ever change with this university as long as he's at the helm. McPhee right now is literally the definition of content.

Hopefully this board of trustees we have now will take some initiative, but again, I have no hope for the future as long as McPhee is the president.

Glad to see it's more than just me that gets aggravated about the rather unwieldy name. If we could get a group of us folks bringing up the issue at the new Regents meetings, we just might make a little progress. Fussing about it on a forum (which I do frequently over the years) likely doesn't get too much attention, challanging it in a public forum to the powers that be will likely get a little more attention.

I continue to notice how many universities and sports teams update or upgrade their logo. Upgrading and updating the mascot and logo after 20 years should really not be asking too much.

Glad to see it's more than just me that gets aggravated about the rather unwieldy name. If we could get a group of us folks bringing up the issue at the new Regents meetings, we just might make a little progress. Fussing about it on aI continue to notice how many universities and sports teams update or upgrade their logo. Upgrading and updating the mascot and logo after 20 years should really not be asking too much.

Several people, myself included, have Tweeted to McPhee the above tweet. Now if he pays attention or not is a different matter.

As for the mascot logo thing, we’ve discucissed it tons of times and that stupid Pegasus. But the MT logo itself I absolutely love. What annoys me is how even the writers in DNJ, our own beat writer still use MTSU. Even if we don’t change the name at least make it consistent and just go with MT.

I won’t even buy a shirt that has MTSU on it.

Several people, myself included, have Tweeted to McPhee the above tweet. Now if he pays attention or not is a different matter.

As for the mascot logo thing, we’ve discucissed it tons of times and that stupid Pegasus. But the MT logo itself I absolutely love. What annoys me is how even the writers in DNJ, our own beat writer still use MTSU. Even if we don’t change the name at least make it consistent and just go with MT.

I won’t even buy a shirt that has MTSU on it.

Good points. On even local media using MTSU, I wonder if that is a thing where they professionally have to go with the official name? Of course, that is one of the big reasons so many of us want a change.

I've long argued that to get anything changed in the coming years, us the people will have to go over McPhee's head. The Science Bldg amongst others are great additions to the university. Good on Pres McPhee for overseeing those projects. On the name issue, he seems to be beyond tone deaf. He seems unwilling to even adress or respond to the issue. The new Board of Regents has presented us with some good opportunities. Sure, McPhee is the head administrator of MT. All of us alumni and possibly more important as tax paying citizens of the State of Tennessee own the university as much as any state administrator. One would think that the tax paying citizens of Tennessee would have some say on the matter.

On a somewhat related matter, sometimes it feels like I have some sort of twisted obsession on this matter. During football and basketball season, everytime I see MTSU, Middle Tennessee St, MTS, M Ten St, M Tenn St, Middle Tennessee State, or Mid Tennessee St flash up on scoreboards on TV or online, it is an aggravating reminder. It is so frustrating knowing that the name and confusing brand is such a drag on expanding recruiting efforts and good publicity outside of the immediate region.

Oh, I think I got it. The sure fire winner. In honor of the holiday, King University! Altough a potential outcome could land us close to where we started with MLKU. There are lots of high schools named MLK I would imagine, but I don't think any major universities are named after MLK.

I write this somewhat in jest Seriously though, MLK is an American great. Most anyone and everyone otherwise not interested in a MTSU name change would likely be interested in a university named for MLK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT