ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL C-USA Announces ESPN and CBSSN TV Schedule

goblueraiders.com:

RAIDERS GET THREE NATIONAL BROADCASTS IN FIRST WAVE

...The Blue Raiders will appear on CBS Sports Network in the season opener against Vanderbilt and later in the year on the road versus rival WKU. The Sept. 2 contest at Floyd Stadium against the Commodores will kick-off at 7 PM CT and the WKU contest will be on Friday, Nov. 17 at 7 PM.

Middle Tennessee's home game against Marshall will be moved to Friday, Oct. 20 to accommodate ESPN2. Kick-off is scheduled for 6 PM CT.....

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
Space: the headline made it into the print edition also. While I realize the author of an article (Sparks in this case) doesn't write the headline this is still a slap in the face to MT. It's as if MT is not even in the paper's readership area.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
It is a slap in the face but getting beat two years consecutively doesn't help us. You can't rely on anyone but us to help our football program. Beat Vandy. Casual reader probably doesn't care too much about MT football.

But yes, I get irritated with those headlines.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I love weeknight games. The more, the better. With our terrible tv contract, we need any exposure we can get. Would you rather play on Friday and be on ESPN or CBS or would you rather play on Saturday and be on a Campus Insider twitter feed or not even be shown at all?

Other good programs and G5 conferences play on Fridays. It's no big deal. Not many other teams are playing then so it's a good thing. Going up to Bowling Green on a cold November Friday night is gonna be fun. If we win, it will be a lot more fun.

I personally don't care if it interferes with high school games or not. We are a freaking FBS team and we should be the hottest ticket in town regardless of the day.

We all wanted more nationally televised games. I personally don't care if they are on a Thursday or Friday, the point is that we have them.

Last edited:
Good & Bad:

In the past, C-USA seemed to generally have the cachet to expect or demand most tv coverage on big Saturdays. Conference leadership seemed to still expect or demand this last year even with the dramatic cuts to C-USA media rights. That was bad as evidenced by horrible tv coverage for MT and most other C-USA football games.

The good is that either conference leadership or MT leadership faced reality that C-USA and/or MT could no longer be picky about premium Saturday coverage if they want quality tv coverage. Thursday and Friday nights primetime seems a pretty desirous opportunity for decent national network TV coverage.

While it's too early to tell if such flexibility will make substantial improvement in next year's media rights negotiations, one would think that it's at least a step in the right direction towards at least a modicum of improvement in next year's media negotiations.

Again, what was the new commish and overall conf leadership thinking in rigidly expecting Saturday national tv coverage when dollar amounts were being severely slashed? This was in addition to the newly nationally expanded Fox Sports networks (e.g. FS1, FS2) dropping out of negotiations despite the history of being in business with C-USA.

Friday nights may not be an ideal time to play college football, but it sure is a heck of a lot better than the crap coverage of this past season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT