ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Butler

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
???? Since being reinstated to the team after surgery Butler has played 2,1,1, and today did not play. I watched today but couldn't hear the broadcast or pre or post game interviews. Has anybody heard anything?

Hard to believe we missed on this JUCO player who should have come in ahead of the freshman. And we sure need bodies. Can't play with 7 players (the number who entered the contest today) and have any hope to be competitive. Massenburg is on Davis but what about Butler?

He must not be showing anything in practice. It really hurts that we lost Crump, I think he would have developed nicely.

I was hoping it was just that he was having a hard time recovering from his surgery. I realize it takes time to get the JUCO out of many players but we need bodies so much I can't understand the lack of PT regardless of ability, attitude, or practice habits.
Apparently we must hope for Dishman, Jones, and the three recruits to have the ability to contribute early next year or we won't be much better, if at all.

I was hoping it was just that he was having a hard time recovering from his surgery. I realize it takes time to get the JUCO out of many players but we need bodies so much I can't understand the lack of PT regardless of ability, attitude, or practice habits.
Apparently we must hope for Dishman, Jones, and the three recruits to have the ability to contribute early next year or we won't be much better, if at all.
Will show my age with one of my perspectives here. Sometime in the late 1970’s or early 1980’s I was lamenting the lack of playing time of one of our heralded recruits to the late, great Monte Hale, Sr. What he said I remember like it was yesterday. He said, “ you have to remember these coaches see these guys all hours of the day. How hard they practice, are they receptive to coaching, what kind of teammate are they, are they in the right shape, going to class, etc., etc.”. Remember, this is back before coaches salaries escalated, buyouts, etc. He went on to say, “do you really think Coach is not going to play someone he thinks can help the team win? Why would Coach do That?”
Fast forward to both Kermit & CRI. I have heard both say a hundred times, PT is earned in practice, not during games. Last year Kermit rotated Dixon/Sims & Gamble/Walters based solely on how prior practices went.
This first 1-2 years for CNM is as much about establishing his culture and expectations as anything else. If the guys aren’t meeting his expectations, i’m Ok with his rotation being what it is. I specifically recall both Kermit & Jacory stating Jacory went through an “expectation” adjustment when he arrived from Arkansas.
We are finally coming up for a couple of games in January. For me, i’m Looking forward to seeing if any improvement from these 2 games till we go to Dallas in March for the conf tourney.

We are finally coming up for a couple of games in January. For me, i’m Looking forward to seeing if any improvement from these 2 games till we go to Dallas in March for the conf tourney.

Right now I just hope we make the conference tournament. It’s far from a sure thing. Unless something dramatically changes we are probably looking at a dogfight between us, UTEP, Charlotte, and Rice for the final two spots in Frisco. We’ve got to get into the win column this week in league play. FIU and FAU are both significantly improved, but we still need to be able to at least split these two games at home. If we lose both, it becomes a real uphill climb to get to the conference tournament.

I've been out of the loop... What happened to Crump...
He blew out his knee before Christmas. The 3 true freshmen were getting about 20 minutes or so of run a game, so was an unfortunate break for the young man.

I was a manager when Jerry Beck blew up his ankle in his 1st game after sitting a year... It was very tough on him...
Had completely forgot about that. He was a hard nosed dude! Luved his intensity. Didn’t we just induct him into our HOF the last 3-4 years?

Yes, he came in from Norway (where he played Pro Ball for years). The "Peanut Head" stories were funny... Also, Chris Harris, his roommate, is a teacher at Siegel HS.... He is one of the finest people I knew from my years as a BR....

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Yes, he came in from Norway (where he played Pro Ball for years). The "Peanut Head" stories were funny... Also, Chris Harris, his roommate, is a teacher at Siegel HS.... He is one of the finest people I knew from my years as a BR....
Agree Chris Harris seemed like a class act. My memory ain’t what it used to be but didn’t Chris introduce JB at his HOF induction ceremony? I swear we came up for one of the HOF ceremonies and Chris was part of the program.

I was ill and couldn't make it to the ceremony so I'm unsure of his role.... Chris would have been a good speaker... He would have shovels of dirt on Jerry... Like I said earlier, many knee slapping tales...

Not in uniform against FIU. Maybe they decided to redshirt him afterall?

they should go ahead and redshirt him since he has missed so much time already

they should go ahead and redshirt him since he has missed so much time already

This is my instinct too, but right now they only have 7 guys who can play, we are getting tired and worn down. You say it last night and at RI - both games winnable against good teams.

Unless he is a special talent, I say play him once he is healthy, we will recruit others.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT