ADVERTISEMENT

Brent

C-Bow

Hall of Famer
Staff
Dec 5, 2005
www.gomiddle.com
We'll see how it shakes out but I'm being told he's okay. Monday will be here soon enough though so we'll see how he looks at the presser.

We should probably stop running him as much as we do considering his shoulder injury history

We should probably stop running him as much as we do considering his shoulder injury history

We have to run him. He was our best threat to slow the D down. Our running game is in big trouble. While I love getting Lee more touches it was obvious our coaches don't believe any of our RBs are worthy of being on the field.

I really hope it's nothing serious with Brent. In that last qtr, Brent was definitely holding and favoring his arm like a chicken wing. Made me real nervous. Then coach stock's comments left it to sound as if something horrible had happened.

All of this brings up some things that I'm just not understanding. Running Brent constantly when he is already getting killed every time he drops back has been asking for big trouble in my opinion. Especially considering all of his recent injuries. I sort of get some of the running in that he's not getting blindsided when he runs himself. That's still not the total solution though.

Then to the RB matter. I don't know what the problem is. I know coach Franklin has tons of experience and good reputation, but I'm just not seeing the RB situation. For starters, why isn't Shane Tucker toting the rock. All he does, all he has done since arriving as a freshman is make play after play. Now, Tucker is out in the slot wasting talent and opportunities while your 2nd best WR who is already woefully undersized is being handed the ball repeatedly to run up the middle right into the teeth of their rather formidable and nasty defensive front.

So, out of about 15 WRs recruited and on the roster, only 2 are good/great. One is decent bring the total serviceable WRs to 3. The coaches answer, continually run the smallest soph WR up the middle. The last 2 possessions, Lee was gimpy and banged up and getting looked at on the sideline.

So, I'm just not understanding all of this. Additionally, I recall on the heels of Parker's freshman breakout year at RB MT was also capitalizing on this new C-USA stuff and brought in a new 3star RB in Shane Tucker. From his first year, it was clear he was a step up for MT and played like a legit 3 star RB. Again, all the guy has done is make plays over the years. So, I just don't understand why he's not carrying the rock. Didn't the coaches see what everyone else saw what Tucker did with the ball in his hands during yesterday's game? The kickoff return for about 50 yards was awesome. Spin move, breaking tackles, a smooth hurdle to top it off. Then his TD! Leaping from about the 5 yd line over the defenders head then landing in the endzone. It was incredible! He may not be the fastest, but he has decent speed with good size and strength and especially just natural instincts and skills.

Lastly, After the season of signing Tucker, I seem to recall MT landing a 3 star RB about each season for several years in a row. After the Mathers show last year, I kind of lost track of those RBs and their names. But I am wondering what happened to them. There was a stable of quality 3 star young RBs that I don't recall any leaving the program. So again, I'm really scratching my head about this supposed no RB thing. It's obvious for the most part so far this year it has been the struggling OLine.

Reactions: Predarat and Hop45
The lack of a serviceable back (along with the "O" line issues) makes one wonder just who is in charge of recruiting in Murphy Ctr. If my son was playing QB, even if he wasn't injury prone, I would leave no stone unturned to make damn sure he had a decent supporting cast.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Look, the D lines we will have faced these first 3 weeks are larger and faster than any we will face from our G5 opponents. Brent got pummeled and will this next game. I wish we would load up the backfield more and use a FB or TE. That will never happen in a TF system so it is what it is. It's a bit unrealistic to expect us to not allow or be able to stop pressure from larger teams with 4-5 star athletes. The bigger question should be is how to we adjust or prepare? Should we run an injury prone QB up the middle or have him be in empty back sets 15 times a game? Should we put other people back there to help pick up pressure?

This is where coaching comes into play and TF has to adjust to win. If he doesn't, we lose. Yesterday, we did adjust well in the 2nd. I would like to adjust sooner as all of us would. We'll see. Minnesota will (maybe) be the most complete team we will face. They are right up there with Vandy on a talent level even though Vandy is a better D against the spread and was a tremendous matchup problem for us. Minnesota will be a matchup problem as well. It's great preparation for CUSA play.

Look, the D lines we will have faced these first 3 weeks are larger and faster than any we will face from our G5 opponents. Brent got pummeled and will this next game. I wish we would load up the backfield more and use a FB or TE. That will never happen in a TF system so it is what it is. It's a bit unrealistic to expect us to not allow or be able to stop pressure from larger teams with 4-5 star athletes. The bigger question should be is how to we adjust or prepare? Should we run an injury prone QB up the middle or have him be in empty back sets 15 times a game? Should we put other people back there to help pick up pressure?

This is where coaching comes into play and TF has to adjust to win. If he doesn't, we lose. Yesterday, we did adjust well in the 2nd. I would like to adjust sooner as all of us would. We'll see. Minnesota will (maybe) be the most complete team we will face. They are right up there with Vandy on a talent level even though Vandy is a better D against the spread and was a tremendous matchup problem for us. Minnesota will be a matchup problem as well. It's great preparation for CUSA play.
Actually, TF has used a "heavy" package in the past. While at LaTech, he installed what I believe they called a "T-Bone formation" that essentially had two attached TE with a WR either side. It really messed with defenses IIRC

The lack of a serviceable back (along with the "O" line issues) makes one wonder just who is in charge of recruiting in Murphy Ctr. If my son was playing QB, even if he wasn't injury prone, I would leave no stone unturned to make damn sure he had a decent supporting cast.

Agreed. The lack of talent at RB is mind-boggling considering how many we've signed over the years.

We let a guy (#11) run it. He fumbles and we pull him. He was doing fine. Instead, we went from fight to flight and shifted in Lee. #11 never saw the field again. I would have given him another shot.

We let a guy (#11) run it. He fumbles and we pull him. He was doing fine. Instead, we went from fight to flight and shifted in Lee. #11 never saw the field again. I would have given him another shot.

Even #11 was a small back, 170 lbs. CRS has a history of benching folks who have ball security issues. He had one carry for 8 yds and fumbled on it.

At this point they ought to advertise try outs for RBs from the students on campus. If you are over 5'8" am d weight at least 175 lbs and can run we might have a spot for you.

He didn't bench his son did he? :)

Doesn't matter if 11 was small. He moved the ball well until the fumble. Tuck is 6' 220lbs. He didn't do much in the run game.

You seem to be generally positive and supportive of the team. While I may disagree on some of the details or larger coaching approaches and philosophy, I generally get that is a fairly common approach or attitude for a hometown fan. I do disagree though with a positive spin or approach when it starts to deny reality or attempts to spin and cover for a problem. My first response in reading some of your comments above is, then what the heck is MT playing D1 sports for? Especially football?

It comes across to me as spinning or covering up for some pretty big problems that actually starts to come across as defending or even arguing and advocating for mediocrity. More specifically, I totally disagree and think that MT should shoot for players, performance, and success vs teams larger than C-USA type schools. MT can and should aim for OLineman who can battle and compete vs P5 teams. Sure recruiting star ratings is an uphill battle, but smart good recruiting can help. So can good coaching and development of players once they are in the program.

While the OLine has struggled mightily this season, there are plenty of past seasons when MT players did stack up against and compete against some of the best in the country. MT may not have won, but they fought and improved at times. I think back to the Bama game from just a few seasons ago. Yeah, they clearly defeated MT with incredible talent that was 2 and 3 deep at each position, but the players and OLine still battled and made respectable showing along the line of scrimmage. I recall MT struggling to make maybe 3 or 4 yards, but the QB wasn't getting killed every other play just a moment or two after the snap. My point, it is possible for MT to battle and make a respectable showing even if they do lose to a top 10 team or some team to that effect.

At least some adjustments were made at halftime that yielded some good results in the 2nd half. Hopefully that improvement will continue.

Regarding Minn, I don't think they are currently the huge force that they typically are as a Big 10 team. I'm certainly not saying they're a bad team. I'm saying that MT might be catching them at a pretty good time. The new coach from Western Michigan is just in his first season there. Even with good coaches, it typically takes some time to really improve a team the way the new coach likes. Additionally, I think Minn may have lost a fair number of players this offseason. More than the usual. Associated with the way last year ended and changing of a coach. They still have a pair of strong RBs if I recall correctly. So, they still have some good players. I'm just saying this is a much better time to be playing them rather than facing them in 2 or 3 seasons when they will likely be a real rough top matchup. I'm not predicting or betting on a MT win, but I do think MT does at least have a shot at pulling of an upset. That is if some of these offensive problems are settling down and ironing out.

He had 2 touches and moved it well both times. He has a good surge in his running style. You gotta give him and Gordon more opportunities to try. Sheesh.

He did have one reception for 8yds and one run for 8 yds. I would agree with you, but its obvious these guys are not as good as Lee - that if my point, how in the world in our 162 lb WR our best RB.

Reactions: dukewayne
I was further prepared to go on talking about Shane Tucker at RB. As I was ready to sit down and type, I heard coach stock on his radio show talking about. I'm not as incredulous about it now that I heard his explanation, but I still have some pretty big concerns about the situation.

Coach Stock almost sounded like he was suggesting that Tucker's speed or quickness is a little off. He thinks it's best to move Tucker around to WR, TE, FB, and RB. I sort of get using Tucker's versatility, but the offense needs a good RB toting the rock against some tough D Lines. Ty Lee is a great WR and athlete, but I'm seriously concerned about his frame size running between the tackles.

I guess we'll see how it all works out this weekend. Whatever the case, Shane Tucker, in my opinion, has proven to be a strong runner. Just as importantly, Tucker seems like he is a playmaker. I don't know if that can be taught, but Tucker somehow makes plays. Frequently, they are impressive plays where one left with a "did you see that?" type of expression afterwards.

Reactions: Hop45
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT