ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Board of Trustee Meeting Today

MT Blue

All Conference
Jan 23, 2006
https://www.murfreesboropost.com/ne...cle_70bc7de0-3131-11e8-b163-f39ccd6cafae.html

The phases

An executive summary of the plan to be presented calls for the first phase to including a football center or student-athlete performance center, which will include a football locker room, weight room and training room and coaching offices.

A portion of Floyd Stadium’s north end zone upper deck would be removed and the building would connect with it, sitting between the stadium, Kennon Sports Hall of Fame, Murphy Center and the football practice fields. The Murphy Center loading dock would be moved, and other Floyd Stadium upgrades could be incorporated into the first phase of work.

Construction of the first phase would free up space in Murphy Center for the second phase, reconfiguration of basketball practice courts and construction of training and weight rooms, locker rooms and coaching offices. In addition, fan seats would move closer to the gym floor at the bottom of the seating bowl, the first real redesign of Murphy Center since it opened.

Possibly most important to the fan and student-athlete experience will be phase three, creation of the True Blue athletic district, providing a plaza between the stadium, student-athlete performance center and Murphy, which will offer easier access to the main gym, with everything connecting to the Greenland Drive parking lot.

“It’s a very special building,” Massaro said of Murphy, “but our entrances aren’t special.” He pointed out walking up the steps to Murphy requires an odd gait, one in which people must take one giant stride or two short ones on each step. (Wookie steps as so affectionately named by WKU fans LOL)

Phase four involves upgrading VIP amenities in Murphy with new club seating, suites and logos, while the fifth phase proposes a new multi-sport indoor practice facility between football practice fields and the new student-athlete facility.

“It’s a game changer for the whole campus,” Massaro said, noting from an aesthetic standpoint, “It’s going to give a person a feel that they’re on a special campus.”

Murphy Center has been such an integral part of the MTSU for more than 45 years, it’s time to “dress it up” and “put some enhancements on it.”

Once the Board of Trustees approves the plan, it would be submitted to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission for review and approval and then the State Building Commission as an amendment to the university’s campus master plan.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
FWIW...there may or may not be an announcement this afternoon that all Blue Raider fans will want to keep tabs on. If not today...soon...

That was my question as well, Mike. I've heard some things that make me feel much more confident about the money than I was previously!

What am I missing? It appears to me that Phase 5 would have to come before Phase 4 if we are to maintain an indoor track facility.
Of course, that is assuming that the IPF has an indoor track and that the club seating, suites, and logos (? - should that not be either lounges of loges?) render the indoor track unusable.

...Trustees approved a new Athletics Master Plan, which now goes to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission for review. The plan, required before fundraising efforts can go forward, suggests several improvements such as a new football team facility; Murphy Center practice court improvements and club seating; an entry plaza; and a new multi-sport indoor practice facility.....

...Trustees approved a new Athletics Master Plan, which now goes to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission for review. The plan, required before fundraising efforts can go forward, suggests several improvements such as a new football team facility; Murphy Center practice court improvements and club seating; an entry plaza; and a new multi-sport indoor practice facility.....

So if the plans have to be approved for fundraising, let’s hope once they are that the athletic dept markets the bananas out of it. Renderings everywhere. Show what people will be donating towards.

https://www.murfreesboropost.com/ne...cle_70bc7de0-3131-11e8-b163-f39ccd6cafae.html

5ab954aa460c0.image.jpg

Reactions: KenG84
Do have to wonder just who had input into the list of priorities. It seems that to most fans the IPF would be the 1st priority (perhaps combined with the "Football Center" as listed in the A phase).
And as an aside: Very concerning to me is the lack of an indoor track in the rendering of the IPF since I just can't see planned renovations to The Murph leaving the present track in place. A deal breaker if the PTB want this fan to contribute to any of the phases (and a slap in the face to the legacy of Dean Hayes).

So if the plans have to be approved for fundraising, let’s hope once they are that the athletic dept markets the bananas out of it. Renderings everywhere. Show what people will be donating towards.

crickets .... I was hoping that at some point this fall we would be hearing something, anything on this...

crickets .... I was hoping that at some point this fall we would be hearing something, anything on this...
Great post. What's crazy is that this was posted almost 3 years ago and still no fundraising marketing plan for the athletic facilities upgrade. There needs to be a huge marketing push to show the vision and sell it to Murfreesboro/Rutherford County/Middle Tennessee residents and companies. Offer corporate sponsorships naming rights to the new buildings, football field, stadium, arena, etc.

Great post. What's crazy is that this was posted almost 3 years ago and still no fundraising marketing plan for the athletic facilities upgrade. There needs to be a huge marketing push to show the vision and sell it to Murfreesboro/Rutherford County/Middle Tennessee residents and companies. Offer corporate sponsorships naming rights to the new buildings, football field, stadium, arena, etc.
Re-reading the articles about the facilities described as five different phases you have to wonder why as the money accumulated (if you believe Massaro s 90% description made this past July) it was not spent on each phase as that piece's dollar amount was achieved?

One of the articles describes the plan's cost as 80-100 million, so you wonder if Massaro's 90% is 72 or 90 million.

A lot of costly inaction by these 'leaders.' Construction costs never go down and inflation just now galloping and looking soon to run away, I can imagine instead of a lot of aluminum, we may end up seeing tar paper or card board...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT