ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Biggest win in MT FB history?

Was this the biggest win in MT history

• Yes

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
Not sure where it ranks, but what impressed me is the 14 point spread. When you beat a team like that it rules out the fluke Hail Mary or the last second 50 yard field goal, which happens for a handful of teams each year. It wasn’t that fluke luck at all. It just feels much better that it was a legit battle with a sizable margin win.

That for sure will give the team some confidence but now it’s time to take that as what this team is capable of and take the conference by storm!

I think so. The only one in comparison in the FBS era would be the NOB back in 2010 or whenever that was. That was a statement win.

Sadly, it’s not like we have any sort of big championship win or anything to compare it to.

There might be some wins from way back in the D-IAA days or something like that I’m not aware of.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
I think so. Underdogs. Never trailed. Ranked opponent. What will impress me even more though is if we truly capitalize on it. Staff has a tall task settling the kids down and if they don't, it is all on the staff.

From a spread perspective yes. We were 24 point dogs at Georgia Tech I believe. We closed 25.5 with Miami.

First ranked win, on the road, led wire-to-wire, won in every phase of the game except special teams.

What I want to see is, can this team maintain this level of play ?

Yes. #1 because it was a #25 ranked team at the time; #2 it was against a team that has won a national championship multiple times in its past; #3 profile of program that has sent numerous players to the NFL and coaches that have made significant contributions to professional and collegiate sports; #4 the sheer “underdog factor” and we never trailed during the game; #5 our size of victory compared to our scant body of work against P5 and G5 teams during the last 23 years.

From a spread perspective yes. We were 24 point dogs at Georgia Tech I believe. We closed 25.5 with Miami.

First ranked win, on the road, led wire-to-wire, won in every phase of the game except special teams.

What I want to see is, can this team maintain this level of play ?
That will be the question. Can they sustain it and history says no.

I want to see it year in and year out. Are there going to be some down years, yes, but at least be in the mix on a regular basis.

I don't think they can, based on history.

That will be the question. Can they sustain it and history says no.

I want to see it year in and year out. Are there going to be some down years, yes, but at least be in the mix on a regular basis.

I don't think they can, based on history.

That is what makes this entire regime so frustrating. Flashes of brilliance followed by a thud, some mediocrity, then rinse and repeat.

Yeah deep down I think any season without double digit wins (and with double digit loses in BB) is a failure. But I'm also realistic and know we aren't a Bama or Ohio State.

But there is zero. None. Nada reasons we can't be in the top 2-4 of our conference every year and PLAY in a champ game every few years. And until he wins a championship, I won't shut up. I admit I'll settle down a bit if we can at least win two bowls in a row.

But literally 16 years shows us every time we move forward, it is followed by two steps back.

Yes, this was definitely our best win since going D1.Mo, GT, Syracuse, Maryland, we’re all quality wins , but this was against a ranked team and we dominated! I doubt we will be getting a call from the ACC anytime soon and it will probable be another 80 years until we get invited back to Miami! At least the Canes can say that they scored on us this time!

That is what makes this entire regime so frustrating. Flashes of brilliance followed by a thud, some mediocrity, then rinse and repeat.

Yeah deep down I think any season without double digit wins (and with double digit loses in BB) is a failure. But I'm also realistic and know we aren't a Bama or Ohio State.

But there is zero. None. Nada reasons we can't be in the top 2-4 of our conference every year and PLAY in a champ game every few years. And until he wins a championship, I won't shut up. I admit I'll settle down a bit if we can at least win two bowls in a row.

But literally 16 years shows us every time we move forward, it is followed by two steps back.
Exactly...

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Concerning sustainability, we've talked about it ad nauseum, but being a G5 it begs the question. How much better would this year's team been if not for dreaded transfer portal. Especially the D which got picked apart. We are picking fodder for the P5's, which makes the Miami win even more incredible. We have to expect players like Chisholm amongst others who show out game to game will be gone after this year. Tragic

Not as concerning as you might think. Players want to stay where they get to play and are appreciated. That transfer portal work both ways and the way I see it there are more than a few dollars in middle Tennessee to spread around? How many players did we lose last year that are starting at power 5 schools? Don’t see many 150lb wide receivers either. Anybody remember that wide receivers name who left for WVU a couple of years ago? Last time I checked , he was returning kickoff’s on a bad TSU team. Players will soon realize that the grass is not always greener!

On the CSNBBS boards an FIU fan just posted that their last FBS win was Miami in 2019...then they lost every single FBS game from there including what WKU did to them yesterday (L73-0).

:oops:

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Last edited:
On the surface, I would consider this our biggest win, but what we do with it can change that. These are the games that I though were previous "biggest wins":

2000 49-21 win over La Tech. It was our first win over an FBS team since moving up. The goal posts came down and we were starting to believe that there was an upward trajectory.

2001 37-28 win over Vandy. We hadn't played them in decades and there was a feeling that we had arrived. Andy Mac was god.

Then came the CRS era where every moment was followed by a letdown:

2009 42-32 win over Southern Miss in the New Orleans Bowl. Things were great and we were worried somebody would snatch CRS from us. Next two seasons, we went 8-17 with his total mishandling of the Dasher scandal.

2012 49-28 win over Georgi Tech was followed up with a 31-17 loss to La-Monroe.

2016 51-45 win over Mizzou was followed up with losses in 2 of the next 3 games.

2017 30-23 win over Syracuse. (See 2016 win over Mizzou.)

2022 45-31 win over Miami. This is huge because it has the nation's attention, much like the MBB win over Michigan State. But what will we do with it. If we lose 2 of the next 3, it will mean very little.

The folks in the AD are already feverishly working on a new “Upset Win Over Miami” end zone tarp for this Friday night’s CBSSN broadcast.

so dumb and such a little middle thing to do.

act like you've been there, and worry about UTSA.

No chance we win this game, in fact, most likely an ass beating administered by UTSA

I can already see how this season will be talked about...."The Miami win was nice, but...."

Last edited:
I mean they did put participation banners over the seats for the bowl games, and even on the equipment truck for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT