ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Basketball schedule?

Noogaraider1

True Blue
Jun 3, 2018
Sorry if I am missing it somewhere, but has anything been released on our basketball schedule? I saw where the NCAA cleared teams to play after Thanksgiving, but havent seem much after that.

After this horrendous football start, I need something to look forward to in regards to MT.

Last edited:
So we can play 27 regular season games and I saw CUSA planned 18 league games. Beyond that, I haven’t seen much.

wbb has released their schedule last week, I thought we would see the 20-21 schedule by now, but goblueraiders.com still has last season up

First time I remember getting a season ticket renewal letter (mine came yesterday) without releasing the schedule.

As far as OOC home schedule is concerned (and conference games apparently not set either) they are asking fans to buy a "pig in a poke" other than the mentioned return game with Ole Miss and Kermit.

One holdup on men's schedules has been the uncertainty surrounding the 8 ESPN sponsored tournaments all of which were to be held in the Disney "bubble", a la the NBA season.

According to reports this event has been cancelled freeing up games for many schools (one being Belmont). Gotta think the phones are busy in most college BkB offices and we'll see a completed schedule soon. As to how much of whatever released schedule is played; only the pandemic knows.

FWIW - IIRC the tournament MT is expected to play in (Gulf Coase Showcase?) is not one of the 8 cancelled.

Reactions: Raiders_55
MT has not put out it's men's schedule as of this morning, but a few other schools have put out their conference schedule and their fans posted about it on the cusa board.

here's a list of MT games they have listed

Jan. 21 WKU at Middle Tennessee
Jan. 23 WKU at Middle Tennessee

01/28 - UAB at Middle Tennessee
01/30 - Middle Tennessee at UAB

2/25: Middle Tennessee at ODU
2/27: Middle Tennessee at ODU

Reactions: C-Bow
I absolutely cannot wait for college basketball season. It's now my #1 favorite sport and has overtaken college football.

Really hoping that with all these transfers immediately eligible + all our guys that sat last year, we have a good team. There's no reason that we shouldn't compete for a CUSA crown with the amount of talent on this roster.

From a star rating standpoint, we've never had this much talent on 1 roster. Time to go win some games

I absolutely cannot wait for college basketball season. It's now my #1 favorite sport and has overtaken college football.

Really hoping that with all these transfers immediately eligible + all our guys that sat last year, we have a good team. There's no reason that we shouldn't compete for a CUSA crown with the amount of talent on this roster.

From a star rating standpoint, we've never had this much talent on 1 roster. Time to go win some games

No more excuses. He's proven he can assemble talent. Now let's see if he can actually coach and manage a game against other good teams. That's something he's never proven in his career as demonstrated by his 38-39 record in non-conference games at Asheville and having never beaten a high-major program in his career.

No more excuses. He's proven he can assemble talent. Now let's see if he can actually coach and manage a game against other good teams. That's something he's never proven in his career as demonstrated by his 38-39 record in non-conference games at Asheville and having never beaten a high-major program in his career.
He never kept the talent at UNCA - they would transfer after a break out season.

If Nick can keep guys after they develop, then he will have more success than he did at UNCA - but if players transfer, it will be UNCA all over again.

Last edited:

UNCA beat Georgetown 79-73 on the road the same year Nick almost beat Kermit and MTSU in Alaska in 2015.. I generally consider teams that have national championships to be high-major programs- perhaps you do not.

UNCA beat Georgetown 79-73 on the road the same year Nick almost beat Kermit and MTSU in Alaska in 2015.. I generally consider teams that have national championships to be high-major programs- perhaps you do not.

It been 36 years since Georgetown won a national championship. UTEP has a championship from decades ago as well. That doesn’t make them a high major program.

The 2015 GT team went 15-18 and was mediocre at best, regardless of the name on the jersey. MT01’s point was clearly about a lack of quality wins, which beating that GT team was not. You are arguing semantics.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
It been 36 years since Georgetown won a national championship. UTEP has a championship from decades ago as well. That doesn’t make them a high major program.

The 2015 GT team went 15-18 and was mediocre at best, regardless of the name on the jersey. MT01’s point was clearly about a lack of quality wins, which beating that GT team was not. You are arguing semantics.

The word "never" is hard to misinterpret- it's not semantics at all..

MT01 said let's see how CNM does "against other good teams" then went on about never having beaten a high-major program- G'town finished just outside Top100 in 2015 in RPI at 103- I think that's a good team- not great, but good. Georgetown is a high major program, I know we're not debating that. Hoyas were middle of the road in 2015 for their standards, no doubt. when you play G'town on the road from a school like UNC Asheville you are playing up to the competition- the 2 programs are not on the same playing field.. MT01 did not say that CNM has never beaten a high major teams when they were stellar, great or less than mediocre.. he said "never"- I illustrated that his statement is simply incorrect. If he meant something else, the word never should not have been used..

Last edited:
Oh. Ok. My bad then. Let me be more specific. He's 1-12 against those teams. I can't believe you're crowing about how CNM beat one below average team out of 13 games. Really? Well, that is pretty close to his D-1 win pct at MT.

Further, he's never (and it's not even one this time) beaten a top 50 team. Not once. And his combined record is 4-21 against Top 100 RPI teams. Those four: Furman, ETSU, UNC Greensboro, and Winthrop.

And Winthrop (71) was the only one even in the top 75. So, he was 1-10 against top 75 at Asheville. Not even worth looking what he's done at MT. We know he hasn't beaten anyone here.

In summary, I think the point I made was well made, which is he hasn't had any sustainable success against good teams. As usual you missed the main theme and pick out a minor factoid that when we peel back that onion looks even worse. This is what my grandad used to call digging the hole deeper.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Let's all keep our eyes on the prize as far as which games are most important on a coaches' resume at a mid-major school. IMHO the most important games at MT are those which the area's casual fan will notice. Those are games against "power" conference schools and mid-state, in-state, or local teams.
Most fans have no idea how a La Tech, ODU, Akron or a Winthrop is ranked. They do know how we compare to Belmont, WKU, Murray and any "power" school we play. (playing a VU or a UT-K is doubly important). Baring an outstanding record we will have only a few games in which casual fans will notice if we win or lose. Those are the games we need to win or at least be competitive in if we want to bring positive attention and growth to the program.
Based on what I have seen the only games casual fans will notice this upcoming season will be the possible games against ETSU and AP in the early tournament and the home games with WKU, UT-C, and Ole Miss. The other games will just be words and numbers scrolling on the bottom of the TV screen or briefly mentioned on the 10:00 news.

The word "never" is hard to misinterpret- it's not semantics at all..

MT01 said let's see how CNM does "against other good teams" then went on about never having beaten a high-major program- G'town finished just outside Top100 in 2015 in RPI at 103- I think that's a good team- not great, but good. Georgetown is a high major program, I know we're not debating that. Hoyas were middle of the road in 2015 for their standards, no doubt. when you play G'town on the road from a school like UNC Asheville you are playing up to the competition- the 2 programs are not on the same playing field.. MT01 did not say that CNM has never beaten a high major teams when they were stellar, great or less than mediocre.. he said "never"- I illustrated that his statement is simply incorrect. If he meant something else, the word never should not have been used..

If you think 15-18 is a good team, you have no credibility

It obvious what he meant by “against other good teams” and overall context.

Congrats on beating the second worst Georgetown team in the past 49 years. Awesome, wow.

We have to realize CNM was at unca which is lower level than MT. How many big teams did Kermit really beat when they good

Reactions: subkyle
We have to realize CNM was at unca which is lower level than MT. How many big teams did Kermit really beat when they good

Are we talking his first 9 years? None

Last 7 years: UCLA, Ole Miss, Tennessee, UCF, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Auburn, Michigan State, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Princeton, Vermont. I’m sure some of these teams were crappy when we beat them, but some were good. I am sure I skipped some solid nonP5 schools as well that were good.

Just looking at last five years, he had 12 wins against the P5 conferences (using the football lingo) with plenty more competitive close losses.

He had 18 Top 100 wins.

The good news is, we have a stupid amount of talent on this team now. And they're all eligible.

Honestly, I don't know how he keeps them all happy. We've got several transfers here that transferred here because they want to play. Literally like 7 dudes. I don't know how to play everybody and keep everybody happy at this point. I see multiple transfers in our future TBH. I was looking at our roster and wondering to myself who in the world would I even start????

This is what I came up.

C - Jared Coleman-Jones
Stretch4 - Deandre Dishman
SF - Elias King
SG - Jalen Jordan (close with Jalen Davis but I much prefer Jordan's 3 point %.)
PG - Dontrell Shuler

That still leaves the following players on the bench: Jalen Davis, Tyson Jackson, Christian Fussell, Jayce Johnson, Eli Lawrence, etc. Maybe redshirt Fussell but the rest are going to want starter type minutes.

So much talent on this roster yall. If he can't win with this roster he will never win in CUSA.

I have bashed CNM on here like nobody's business but I have to give it up to him here. He's got a loaded team talent wise. To MT01's point, now it's crap or get off the pot in terms of his ability to coach and win. Now, we all know that mASSaro isn't even paying attention let alone putting any pressure on him so he's getting the Covid pass no matter what. However, from my viewpoint, it's a high pressure season for CNM because the excuses are gone in terms of talent. If he can't win with 7 of the most talented players he's had up to this point, it's doubtful he will win much at all during his tenure here.

I'm a fundamentals guy. I don't care who you have. You have to pass the ball, limit turnovers, play defense and not force shots. IF we can do that alone, huge improvement will be seen with CNM. If we don't do these things, more of the same will happen even with these players. WKU is a great example. They have had crazy talent wolk in the door under Stansbury. He still hasn't produced considering who he has on the roster. He's winning there but not dominating or going to the NCAA tourney. Coaching is still more important than raw talent.

I hope CNM will deliver. He has all the pieces he needs to do so. Now it's time for coaching and strategy to insure wins. It's year 3. The heat should be on. At least it is with us fans. Get it done CNM.

Objectively here is the last 7 years of Top100 and big name program games.. (source: warrennolan)

2018- no big teams that were good; best win was vs Vermont (44 RPI); notable wins over Vandy (113) & Ole Miss (119) both were 12-20 that year; 5 other wins vs Top100 Murray State (80), ODU (84), 3 games vs WKU (55); 5 losses vs Top100 (Belmont, Auburn, USC, Miami, L'ville)
[6-5 vs Top 100; 2-4 over big names]

2017- best win was Minnesota (25 RPI); notable wins over Vandy (42) & Ole Miss (68) both finished 10-8 in SEC play that year and had 19 and 22 wins respectively; UNC Wilmington (33) and Belmont (58) were other 2 Top100 wins; 2 Top100 losses (VCU, Butler)
[5-2 vs Top100; 3-1 over big names]

2016- best win was clearly Michigan State (12); Auburn (179) only other big name win, Tigers were 11-20 that year; 1 Top100 win over Belmont (97); 5 Top100 losses (VCU, UAB x2, SDSU, Syracuse)
[3-5 vs Top100; 2-1 over big names]

2015- no big teams that were good; best 2 wins were ODU (41) twice; loss to Auburn (132) who went 14-20 that year; 1 other Top100 win splitting with UTEP; 8 Top100 losses Kent State, LaTech x2, UTEP, OK State, Belmont, Cincy, Murray State.
[2-8 vs Top100; 0-3 vs big names]

2014- best win was Southern Miss (29); no notable big name team wins. 2 other Top100 wins vs Akron (96), throw in @Murray State (101); 7 Top100 losses (Florida, Tulsa x2, LaTech, Cincy, Ole Miss, Belmont)
[3-7 vs Top100; 0-3 vs big names] - 1 very bad loss vs Maine (333) who was 5-23 that year

2013- best win vs Ole Miss (45) and finished 27-9 that year; no other Top100 wins; 4 Top100 losses (Belmont, St Mary's, Akron, Florida)
[1-4 vs Top100; 2-1 vs big names, beat mediocre Vandy this year]

2012- best win on paper is Marshall (53); notable wins over Tennessee (90), finished 18-15 , Ole Miss (74) 20-14 that year, and UCLA (123) finished 18-14; 2 other Top100 wins Belmont (split), Akron; Top100 losses Vandy, Denver, Minnesota, Belmont
[5-4 vs Top100; 3-2 vs big names]

Overall 25-35 vs Top100

12-15 vs big name teams (I included the Butler and St Mary's games since they are elite basketball programs)
7 wins over big name teams that were good that year.
5 wins over big name programs that were poor
15 losses to big name teams

Unless I missed some power conference games I'm not sure where some of the other wins in 5 years that folks are counting in other posts.

Last edited:
Look again. MT defeated UCLA by 20 in Los Angeles. Only time we have played them.

Valid- I corrected my earlier post to reflect the error as I totally flipped that result when combing through 7 years of schedules.. funny how no one corrected MT01 when he stated 12 big time program wins in 5 years- I still counted 11 wins in 7 years, 12 now with the UCLA game..

Last edited:
Just answering another posters question in more detail than anyone else bothered.. you have a problem with facts? Or just when they come from me?

No. Not a problem at all. You look like a complete moron with this and yet apparently oblivious to it so please carry on.

Ole Miss 4
Vanderbilt 3
Minnesota
Auburn
Michigan St
UCLA
Tennessee

Ole Miss 4
Vanderbilt 3
Minnesota
Auburn
Michigan St
UCLA
Tennessee

OK- so your criteria has now moved to the last 7 years vs 5 years.. quick glance without double checking is that at least 5 of those 12 wins you listed above were beyond 5 years (Ole Miss x2, Vandy, UCLA, Tenn).. so if you change the time period from your earlier post then of course it's gonna be tough for anyone to keep up.

Point remains that there were 7 quality big name wins the last 7 years to answer abarnett's question..

No. Those P5 wins came in a six year period so not like we’re comparing four or five extra years here. Further thise are two separate ideas. My apologies that you are too slow to keep up. There were 18 top 100 wins in the last five years for Kermit. Compare that to four in Nicks tenure at Asheville with zero or those coming against top 75. The original point of all of this is Nick has virtually beaten no one of quality and your response was absurdly comical as you attempted to make Nicks situation look better by downplaying Kermits. You look like a complete douche in this thread with a dash of stupidity to go along with it. Congrats.

Original point remains. Nick hasn’t really ever proven that he can beat quality teams in his coaching career. And the “facts” back that up.

No. Those P5 wins came in a six year period so not like we’re comparing four or five extra years here. Further thise are two separate ideas. My apologies that you are too slow to keep up. There were 18 top 100 wins in the last five years for Kermit. Compare that to four in Nicks tenure at Asheville with zero or those coming against top 75. The original point of all of this is Nick has virtually beaten no one of quality and your response was absurdly comical as you attempted to make Nicks situation look better by downplaying Kermits. You look like a complete douche in this thread with a dash of stupidity to go along with it. Congrats.

Original point remains. Nick hasn’t really ever proven that he can beat quality teams in his coaching career. And the “facts” back that up.

I'm not downplaying CKD's record- posting about MT's record over 7 seasons is simply data- it doesn't have feelings... you automatically assume I have an agenda which is your real mistake.

Just looking at last five years, he had 12 wins against the P5 conferences (using the football lingo) with plenty more competitive close losses.

He had 18 Top 100 wins.

2012-2018 is actually 7 seasons of basketball my friend (hint: I even broke down all 7 years above if you ran out of fingers on your one hand)- did you work in the budget & finance section of the Athletic Department? Because your math/logic skills are amazing... I think you referred to my stupidity but I digress..

Kermit won here even in his worst years. CMD hasn't even broke .300 yet let alone .500. Let's start there first. Besides all of that, Nick hasn't beaten P5's on the regular or ever here. He hasn't taken down a no.2 seed in the Final Four Tourney so it's a pointless argument. Until he wins on this level and matches upsets like that, it is what it is. No bashing of CNM here. This is fact. However, he now has talent and could do something real this year. If he does, then he can start to build his own legacy here and then it's all good. If he doesn't win with this roster, then we truly know what we have.

CNM still has big shoes to fill and he hasn't even put his socks on yet. It's year 3. It's now or never. I think that's a fair statement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT