ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL Baseball coach

RaiderDawg78

All American
Sep 7, 2005
Kendall Rogers has teased an update on our coaching search via twitter for the past 2 days, but its on his subscription site.

That at least means he is hearing something. Anyone have an idea who we may be talking to or who is interested?

Dave Serrano has interviewed but he has also interviewed for other jobs. I think, that has been known.

No mention of anyone else who has interviewed. Very quiet search.

There's a small update in the premium board. Since you mentioned it, I can confirm that Serrano is in the mix.

There's a small update in the premium board. Since you mentioned it, I can confirm that Serrano is in the mix.

Talk about a terrible hire IMO. Not as a person, but professionally.

He failed at UT with similar state scholarship options. Why hire someone who failed at an SEC in the same state?

He would make more sense at San Jose State, he was successful in California.

I'm still wondering why Matt Bragga wasn't hired after Peterson stepped down..

DI schools 2018 MLB Draft picks.

Kentucky, 13
Arkansas, 11
Texas Tech, 11
Wichita St., 11
UNC, 10
South Carolina, 10
Oklahoma, 9
Arizona, 8
Louisville, 8
Ole Miss, 8
Tenn. Tech, 8
Vanderbilt, 8

Last edited:
I'm still wondering why Matt Bragga wasn't hired after Peterson stepped down..

Why?

When McGuire was hired Bragga was fresh off his second straight losing season. At the time - in his nine seasons as head coach - he had six losing seasons and only three winning seasons. If we had hired him then the base would have revolted even more than when CM tried to hire Raffo.

He was the 2010, 2013 and 2017 Ohio Valley Conference Coach of the Year

If you look at Bragga's record it lends credence to Massaro's philosophy of giving coaches a long rope

He was the 2010, 2013 and 2017 Ohio Valley Conference Coach of the Year

Only 2010 season pre-date's McGuire being hired. Again, three out of nine winning seasons. He was 98-126 in OVC play and 215-270 overall. So, there's your answer. He was not very good yet. Hadn't demonstrated he could win consistently.

If you look at Bragga's record it lends credence to Massaro's philosophy of giving coaches a long rope

And I believe Mags would have turned it as well. But you can't fault the decision given where we stand with our conf peers.

With Bragga's recent success would MT be a big enough jump to leave TTU. It would be a step up in conference and facilities. Both of those factors will make recruiting easier. Not sure what current contract looks like but assume TTU will look to extend and/or increase $$$.

New coach will need to close gap with La Tech, USM, Rice, etc. Not an easy task.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT