ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Asher O'Hara is Transferring

WTF? Where?

Okay - that's pretty reflective of the state of the program. He sees either a lot of change, losing his starting position or a bleak outlook on the program overall. I don't expect him to land a starting role on another program unless he moves down.

BUT since he's leaving, I appreciate his commitment to the program, but his talent level wasn't up to what I would hope for.

Ha. The only reason we can even win a game is leaving.

Meanwhile crickets from Cope and Murphy about the people who should be packing up their shit.

This program is in such disarray. And we have the worst administration and leadership in the world. There isn’t another institution that would allow their premier programs to be flushed down the toilet like this. SMH.

Maybe this means we bring in a QB from the transfer portal? Wishful thinking I know.

I may just renew my season tickets for the satisfaction of seeing this blow up in our head clown (coach)'s face and boo with relish after every loss

Last edited:
Reactions: MT Glenn
If he transfers to a P5 school, we know some behind the scenes pre-transfer contact was made...allegedly.

If he transfers to a FCS school, hemay want to play for a championship.

If he transfers to within 50 miles of Chicago, he wanted to go home.

If he transfers to anywhere else, he is essentially affirming he’s sick of the TF System.

#EATT

WTF? Where?

Okay - that's pretty reflective of the state of the program. He sees either a lot of change, losing his starting position or a bleak outlook on the program overall. I don't expect him to land a starting role on another program unless he moves down.

BUT since he's leaving, I appreciate his commitment to the program, but his talent level wasn't up to what I would hope for.
I'm not sure what more you can ask from a QB. MT's OL had O'Hara running for his life every snap. As it turns out, it's kinda hard to throw consistently while running for your life.

Sorry, but I wasn't impressed with Asher. I do hope that we are doing a lot of fishing in the portal this year. I read somewhere the portal is going to be bigger in terms of numbers than ever before.

I still feel like the portal is the future of programs like MT that continue to screw up recruiting. It gives a second chance for MT to gain better talent that they missed on the first go around.

But the bigger story is - your starting QB just decided to transfer. WTF does that say?

If the legislation introduced today goes through, (no way it will in its current form but something will happen) it will kill guys like us anyway. Sharing 50% of profits, kids will head for big schools. The board might as well shut it all down. CM has killed all the opportunities we've had.

Makes you wonder what writing Asher saw on the wall.

If the legislation introduced today goes through, (no way it will in its current form but something will happen) it will kill guys like us anyway. Sharing 50% of profits, kids will head for big schools. The board might as well shut it all down. CM has killed all the opportunities we've had.

Makes you wonder what writing Asher saw on the wall.

I hesitate to post this here, because I have no knowledge of Asher’s situation or decision making. I doubt it has ANYTHING to do with his transfer. However, you mentioned NCAA legislation.

Where I live , a network of HS coaches with relationships with current college players have allegedly created a system of communicating with potential transfers about their transfer grade. Essentially a player is in college & played at HS X. The P5 coach reaches out to the HS X coach and tells him that if the player entered the portal, the P5 school is interested. The kid gets the info from his HS coach, enters the portal, and the P5 coach immediately signs the kid.

The P5 coach gets to unofficially recruit. The player can test the water. The HS coach is a preferred visitor at the University game day & probably gets a finders fee. The NCAA is looking for money to bribe HS recruits, but hasn’t caught up with what the transfer portal created.

This back door was created by NCAA legislation.

It was obvious what was going to happen when they created these new rules. They’ve always been about keeping the power with the resourced five. It’s even to keep the power within the most privileged of those leagues. The Vandys, Wakes, etc are just as screwed.

It was obvious what was going to happen when they created these new rules. They’ve always been about keeping the power with the resourced five. It’s even to keep the power within the most privileged of those leagues. The Vandys, Wakes, etc are just as screwed.
I don't think Asher's transfer has anything to do with the new rules, but a desire to NOT get killed playing QB.

He may go P5. And may not.

But the desire to live to see 30 is strong.

I don't think Asher's transfer has anything to do with the new rules, but a desire to NOT get killed playing QB.

He may go P5. And may not.

But the desire to live to see 30 is strong.

If that’s the reason, it’s an indictment on our recruiting & Stock/Franklin/Mallory/Polly. Surely someone in that group gets fired.

Reactions: TRUEBLUE73
I may just renew my season tickets for the satisfaction of seeing this blow up in our head clown (coach)'s face and boo with relish after every loss
I haven't had tickets for the last two seasons, but may get them again for the same reason.
I'll hold the relish though.

Does anyone really think he is P5 talent? I don't think he was strong enough to start for a school like MT, although there was nobody better to take over the position. So by default he held the job. He's a lower division QB in my observation.

Reactions: Hop45
If that’s the reason, it’s an indictment on our recruiting & Stock/Franklin/Mallory/Polly. Surely someone in that group gets fired.

Have you just not been paying attention?

Indictments have all gone to court, adjudicated, and prison sentences handed out. The only twist here is that it’s the alumni and fans in prison.

Does anyone really think he is P5 talent? I don't think he was strong enough to start for a school like MT, although there was nobody better to take over the position. So by default he held the job. He's a lower division QB in my observation.

Yes. Talent he has. What he didn’t have was coaching and an OL. He’s the dual threat version of Danny Weurffel. Not the strongest arm but accurate and could always put the throws where they needed to be. If had coaching to teach him how to survive in the pocket and an OL he actually had faith in, he could be really good. Add in his running ability and he would be dangerous with a school that has talent around him to support him.

That said I would not be surprised to see him at NIU. But he could do well at a P5 school like Texas Tech or Iowa St. somewhere like that. He’s not going to beat out guys at places like Bama, Ohio St, etc.

Idk that I see P5 level talent in Asher. But that’s only because I’ve only ever seen him coached by the Middle staff. I’m certainly curious as to where he ends up. He’s got a warrior spirit about him that’s pretty rare. I hope he does well wherever he lands.

And don’t get me started on Chance Nolan...

Have you just not been paying attention?

Indictments have all gone to court, adjudicated, and prison sentences handed out. The only twist here is that it’s the alumni and fans in prison.

For some reason, this reads like you’re being a jackass. I’m going to assume I did a poor job making a point. So let me try again.

M&M ignore fans no matter how much we complain. From the athletic department to the coaching staff to 99% of Stock’s former players, we get nothing except sunshine pumping spin & kumbaya.

However, if our starting QB is transferring for self-preservation, then that’s a break in their imaginary world. That would be such an indictment from within the program that even a moron like Massaro can’t ignore it. A minimally competent AD should recognize the problem and force some staff change. I don’t think Massaro is minimally competent, but maybe he can finally make a common sense move.

For some reason, this reads like you’re being a jackass. I’m going to assume I did a poor job making a point. So let me try again.
I read MT01's post as sarcastic.

The fans suffer because of the administration. I think we all agree.

Reactions: MT Glenn
That would be such an indictment from within the program that even a moron like Massaro can’t ignore it.

Sure he can. This is the point. This is why we are where we are. It's not even going to register on the radar. Things are just fine as far as they are concerned. They don't see a problem. And a player transferring is just another playing transferring to them.

I agree with many of the comments above. Asher has done a solid job since taking over. I do think we could and should be able to do better at the position, however. The bigger issue is that a program's starting QB with very little competition behind him, is transferring out. The reason why he made his decision should be something important to know for Stock and Massaro both.

Does anyone really think he is P5 talent?

Absolutely not, I don't view him as a FBS talent either but as you pointed out he won by default since we didn't have a scholarship QB on the team. First he's short and that's a big no-no in any P5 program, if he had speed like Michael Vick or accuracy & decision making like Drew Brews then *maybe* but the facts are he's none of that. 2nd, he has no arm. 3rd, his decision making is horrible, there are reasons why MTSU averaged 2 INTs in the first half of every game and 4th while the O-Line was might have been bad it's compounded by the fact that he couldn't read defenses OR make an accurate throw to a WR...there are entire teams where the QB gets rid of the ball so fast that Defense can't hit the QB...but to do it you have to be able to throw an accurate pass and make good decisions based on what the defense shows you.

Asher O'Hara was holding the program back, WR's didn't want to be here because he kept calling his own number, RB's weren't getting reps the reason his numbers are gaudy are a by product of him calling his number and MTSU being behind and having garbage time passing numbers.

I will say this, MTSU has a tendency to play players based on age and not talent which is what runs talent off. If we don't look at the incoming Freshman and just go with Chase Cunningham by default regardless of Freshman talent level we'll run those guys off as well. Now is it possible that we don't have a better QB in the stable, sure, but while this news is big it doesn't bother me.

At best I see Asher being able to play at a similar school as MT. Not sure where people see P5 talent there. He short and has a small frame. I’m also not impressed with his arm strength. Very glad that someone else will get a shit at QB next year

Reactions: FootballKuato
This dude above is funny. Asher throws the deep ball as accurately as anyone we've had including Brent. Sure he's not Jemarcus Russell and throwing it over 80 yards, but he can get it 50+ yards down field. That's more than adequate at the collegiate level.

Dude led C-USA in passing yards and completion pct two years in a row as well as total offense last year. To suggest he held us back is absurd. If anything, this team is 0-9 this year with anyone else on the roster running things, as Space pointed out. Probably true with any QB we've had if they were put on this year's team minus Brent. I alway s love these people who say a six footer is too short to play QB. Everyone is enamored by 6'4" dudes who have an incredibly high failure rate too. Some of the best QB's in the league right now are Asher's height. I think the NFL is finally start to see they might have missed some opportunities by being so myopic about height.

His biggest deficiency was making it through progressions but let's be honest. A lot of that came from the fact that he knew he had less than 2 seconds to get rid of the ball or get out of the pocket or he was going to be eviscerated.

I will put any amount of money right now that whoever the QB is next year won't produce at Asher's level (unless a 4 or 5 star transfer falls into our laps by accident).

Here is the biggest issue, YOUR STARTING QB IS TRANSFERRING. He has no competition and still decides he’s better off going somewhere else. I wish him well but this is an indictment on the entire program and the Athletic department leadership.

This dude above is funny. Asher throws the deep ball as accurately as anyone we've had including Brent. Sure he's not Jemarcus Russell and throwing it over 80 yards, but he can get it 50+ yards down field. That's more than adequate at the collegiate level.

Dude led C-USA in passing yards and completion pct two years in a row as well as total offense last year. To suggest he held us back is absurd. If anything, this team is 0-9 this year with anyone else on the roster running things, as Space pointed out. Probably true with any QB we've had if they were put on this year's team minus Brent. I alway s love these people who say a six footer is too short to play QB. Everyone is enamored by 6'4" dudes who have an incredibly high failure rate too. Some of the best QB's in the league right now are Asher's height. I think the NFL is finally start to see they might have missed some opportunities by being so myopic about height.

His biggest deficiency was making it through progressions but let's be honest. A lot of that came from the fact that he knew he had less than 2 seconds to get rid of the ball or get out of the pocket or he was going to be eviscerated.

I will put any amount of money right now that whoever the QB is next year won't produce at Asher's level (unless a 4 or 5 star transfer falls into our laps by accident).

Why be prickish? Just giving my point of view, not trying to be funny. First, I didn’t suggest that he was bringing the team down. Second, I said his arm strength wasn’t good. I didn’t say he wasn’t accurate. Third, I pointed out his overall size. Overall size includes height, frame and overall muscle mass. He lacks all of that, not just height that you specify. Someone of his body size pretty much only excels if they have Lamar Jackson type speed/wiggle. I hope the kid does well at the next stop, and I do think he was good overall for us. However, I am excited to test the next man up

Why be prickish? Just giving my point of view, not trying to be funny. First, I didn’t suggest that he was bringing the team down. Second, I said his arm strength wasn’t good. I didn’t say he wasn’t accurate. Third, I pointed out his overall size. Overall size includes height, frame and overall muscle mass. He lacks all of that, not just height that you specify. Someone of his body size pretty much only excels if they have Lamar Jackson type speed/wiggle. I hope the kid does well at the next stop, and I do think he was good overall for us. However, I am excited to test the next man up

Don't think MT01 was referring to you. You posted before he could complete his response. At least that's how I followed it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT