ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Asher O'Hara is Transferring

Don't think MT01 was referring to you. You posted before he could complete his response. At least that's how I followed it.
Ah, sorry if that’s the case. I would prefer he not leave. There is only one guy in the program I want to leave and that the Stock. I think we’re all frustrated by the state of our program.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I don't think he is leaving because of the future legislation. I just saw a correlation between us having players transferring and how it will be even harder to get and retain talent if the legislation goes through as is or similar.

I do wonder why. Really none of my business but by the same token, I think it says something (not good) about your program when your starting QB leaves and there is no amazing guy in waiting. It makes me wonder if there are things going on internally that are part of bigger problems we can't even see.

Why be prickish? Just giving my point of view, not trying to be funny. First, I didn’t suggest that he was bringing the team down. Second, I said his arm strength wasn’t good. I didn’t say he wasn’t accurate. Third, I pointed out his overall size. Overall size includes height, frame and overall muscle mass. He lacks all of that, not just height that you specify. Someone of his body size pretty much only excels if they have Lamar Jackson type speed/wiggle. I hope the kid does well at the next stop, and I do think he was good overall for us. However, I am excited to test the next man up

Wasn’t directed at you.

Reactions: subkyle
Well I do think it’s an opportunity for someone to transfer in or sign from HS knowing the job is wide open and basically easily Obtainable day 1. So if the coaching staff fumbles that now, then they truly are horrible. Talk about an easy sales pitch to a kid. There is nobody on the current roster that can beat you out. The job is yours.

So this is actually a good scenario for MT to try and get someone much more talented then they have had in the past.

Reactions: Raiders_55
QB'S available from P5 now in the portal
Charlie Brewer Baylor
Tucker Gleason GT
Grant Tisdale Ole Miss
Chase Brise Duke
Hendon Hooker VT

QB'S available from P5 now in the portal
Charlie Brewer Baylor
Tucker Gleason GT
Grant Tisdale Ole Miss
Chase Brise Duke
Hendon Hooker VT

Exactly. Not saying we can get one of these guys, but that’s who we should go after. Starting job open now for any of those guys. They are leaving because of playing time so MT is an easy sell. Well at least as far as immediate playing time.

Exactly. Not saying we can get one of these guys, but that’s who we should go after. Starting job open now for any of those guys. They are leaving because of playing time so MT is an easy sell. Well at least as far as immediate playing time.
But if they also want to win, I’m sure there’s better options than MT.

Chase Brice isn’t available. He’s transferring to Duke not from Duke.

And you guys have lost your minds if you think this staff already had somebody lined up coming in and that’s why Asher left.
No matter how f’d things get at this university there’s always people trying to make it sound like it’s not as bad as it really is.

So, let me be as unambiguous as possible. Not only are things that bad, they are actually worse than it even seems.

And you guys have lost your minds if you think this staff already had somebody lined up coming in and that’s why Asher left.
No matter how f’d things get at this university there’s always people trying to make it sound like it’s not as bad as it really is.

So, let me be as unambiguous as possible. Not only are things that bad, they are actually worse than it even seems.
Bro I stopped giving a S#!t after that Hawaii bowl when we got our ass handed to us. I will always love my school, but I won’t give a dime until CM is gone.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I think this is the most likely scenario. Not necessarily that there’s someone slated to come in right now, but that’s certainly the plan if you ask me.

Guarantano. That would require minimal effort for the coaching staff, although they tend to ignore instate players.

Can someone look through the transfer portal for a D2 QB from Florida, the Carolinas or California that completes about 50% of his passes, but the scouting report says he competes his tail off? That would be Stock’s target.

Well I do think it’s an opportunity for someone to transfer in or sign from HS knowing the job is wide open and basically easily Obtainable day 1. So if the coaching staff fumbles that now, then they truly are horrible. Talk about an easy sales pitch to a kid. There is nobody on the current roster that can beat you out. The job is yours.

So this is actually a good scenario for MT to try and get someone much more talented then they have had in the past.

100% agree. Pure opportunity to bring in a QB who wants to start from Day 1. Could not be an easier sales pitch.

Whatever we do, we don't need a dual threat dude because often he will become a predictable single threat. That was Asher's biggest problem. He chose to ran more than he ever should and TF ran him too much as well. You guys say he was running for his life but a lot of times, he didn't stand in the pocket when he could have and when dudes were open. His RPO skills were terrible. Once he got rattled, he would fall apart like fish on a grill. Cunningham is a better passer. He's had virtually no time at QB. If he's the guy, he'll be ok. I do think we will pitch to some better guys in the portal. Asher will be like Dobson. If he thinks he's gonna play for a bigger school, all he will do is ride pine. OHurry will likely play at another G5 and I'm sure our conference mates will go after him. Northern Illinois would be perfect for him.

So if Appy St can get someone like Brice, MT should be able to get a decent QB as well.

So if Appy St can get someone like Brice, MT should be able to get a decent QB as well.
Appy State has a tradition of ... well ... winning. And winning with a pretty exciting offense. They have an offensive identity.
MT doesn’t have an offensive identity. Stockstill said basketball on grass years ago but we’ve only seen that (at a high level) 1-2 years

This dude above is funny.

Feel free to reference me next time.

Asher throws the deep ball as accurately as anyone we've had including Brent. Sure he's not Jemarcus Russell and throwing it over 80 yards, but he can get it 50+ yards down field. That's more than adequate at the collegiate level.

Dude led C-USA in passing yards and completion pct two years in a row as well as total offense last year. To suggest he held us back is absurd.

That's your opinion that isn't backed up by stats or fact.

Your fact is based on the most meaningless stat in college football. Let's put some context on leading C-USA in passing yards...in 2020 he was #29 in the NATION, #1 in C-USA for passing attempts, #64 nationally on interceptions per game and was 2nd in C-USA only to UAB's QB for INT's, Asher's #64 in in Yards per Attempt but he's #6 in C-USA...and passing is his good stat.

If you look at rushing that's when you start to smell the trash, the guy attempted 175 rushes, he's #12 in the NATION (#3 in C-USA, behind 2 RBs) for rushing attempts BUT he's #245 in Yards per Attempt. The guy averaged 3.4 yards per carry and a little insight he averaged 2.72 yards per carry in the 1st half of every game. His average goes up to 5.7 when MTSU is down 8-15 points and 3.76 when MTSU is down 15+. Basically if he wasn't running around in a losing effort his average yard per carry would be 3.06 yards per carry. That's 54% of all rushing attempts that we're WASTING on Asher scrambling around trying to make a play.

Asher is responsible for 73% of ALL touches on the MTSU offense....I would hope that he would lead the conference in yards, there probably not another player in FBS has that more touches than Asher O'Hara.

If anything, this team is 0-9 this year with anyone else on the roster running things, as Space pointed out. Probably true with any QB we've had if they were put on this year's team minus Brent. I alway s love these people who say a six footer is too short to play QB. Everyone is enamored by 6'4" dudes who have an incredibly high failure rate too. Some of the best QB's in the league right now are Asher's height. I think the NFL is finally start to see they might have missed some opportunities by being so myopic about height.

You're making up a topic, it's most folks on this board and college football coaches that think the way you imply I mentioned it because of the size bias by coaches, personally for me production is production. I remember Boise State coming to Georgia with a Defense Line that averaged 250 lbs who put an absolute beating on UGA who's O-Line averaged 310-320 lbs across the board.

His biggest deficiency was making it through progressions but let's be honest. A lot of that came from the fact that he knew he had less than 2 seconds to get rid of the ball or get out of the pocket or he was going to be eviscerated.

I would counter that his biggest deficiency was reading defenses because if he could do it reliably he would use his hot read and make a pass attempt when pressure was coming. Additionally he makes bad decisions because half his INT's came on 3rd down and 7 of the 8 were on the MTSU side of the 50 yard line

I will put any amount of money right now that whoever the QB is next year won't produce at Asher's level (unless a 4 or 5 star transfer falls into our laps by accident).

Again passing yards is a garbage stat, I would say if the Wins are the real stat to focus on. I would then suggest that if a RB became our #1 rusher that would be another important indicator. As long as our average yards per passing attempt rises everything should fall in place.

I personally think Cunningham is better than Asher the problem is the kid has never gotten a chance, they cart him out on the field after Asher has thrown 2 picks and gotten the team behind in the score and MTSU thinks a guy with 1/3 the reps is going to come out on the field in obvious passing situations (i.e. behind by 15+) and he's going to be able to execute while the defense has it's ears pinned back and DB's not even looking for a run is not fair to Cunningham.

One thing your analysis doesn’t take into account. 1) Sacks count against his rushing attempts. Last year he did something only one other player did - and that player was second in the Heisman. 2) He literally had one of if not the worst offensive line in all of college football. Show me a QB that could be successful and lead this team over the last two years to winning seasons as bad as this OL is and I will show you the greatest QB in college football history. He performed about as well as most anyone else could. You’ll see next year when we’re going to be lucky to average 10 points a game.

One thing your analysis doesn’t take into account. 1) Sacks count against his rushing attempts. Last year he did something only one other player did - and that player was second in the Heisman. 2) He literally had one of if not the worst offensive line in all of college football. Show me a QB that could be successful and lead this team over the last two years to winning seasons as bad as this OL is and I will show you the greatest QB in college football history. He performed about as well as most anyone else could. You’ll see next year when we’re going to be lucky to average 10 points a game.

Unfortunately NCAA Stats don't register Sacks or TFL's on the side of the rusher only on the defensive side. To make it slightly more difficult since Asher split time with Cunningham on a few games it's hard to determine who the sacks get registered to and for how many yards. BUT I did go look and the total sacks given up by MTSU in 2020 was 25, below is the sack count going from Army on the left to Troy on the right.

1+1+3+3+3+5+3+1+3

I find it interesting that at the season dragged on the problems with sacks got worse and not better obviously peaking out at 5 for North Texas. If we credited all the sacks to Asher he still has 150 carries and let's assume a sack is -7.4 yards (MTSU defense average loss on sacks) for 185 yards so Asher now has 150 attempts for 786 (adding 185 to 601) yards bring Ashers yards per carry up to 5.24 which makes it more respectable.

Still even the 7th best QB rusher (Top 100 Rusher, 85th overall) from Coastal Carolina is averaging 5.1 yards per tote even with sacks. Asher is just a long ways off because it's not realistic to not have sacks as a QB.

Top QB Rushers 2020

For me Asher just has too many touches, if he didn't have 73% of all touches I'd probably feel better about him but that's what makes the team so dysfunctional. I can't say the team would be better or worse (record wise) if Asher was 50% of touches but invariably you're going to run off all your skill players when the QB get's all the rushes and all the passes...and you've had two losing seasons in a row.

Last edited:
has he found a home yet? that will determine his value as a QB to the rest of the country

MT to Suckremento State. I'm pretty confident we improved at the QB position.

O'Hara was the best thing about MT football the last two seasons and quite possibly the reason we are not coming off two straight one or two win or winless seasons.

I'm rooting for the guy to do well for his team and then get the hell out of that crap hole state.

O'Hara was not a good QB. Yes, the rest of the team was weak during his time here, but he showed nothing to get me excited. Undersized, weak arm, poor decision making. Not trying to pick on him, but we have a much better opportunity to win with the group we have now. I'm much more excited with the possibilities.

The fact he didn't get a sniff from another decent college program when he transferred says a lot about what other programs saw during his playing days here.

O'Hara was not a good QB. Yes, the rest of the team was weak during his time here, but he showed nothing to get me excited. Undersized, weak arm, poor decision making. Not trying to pick on him, but we have a much better opportunity to win with the group we have now. I'm much more excited with the possibilities.

The fact he didn't get a sniff from another decent college program when he transferred says a lot about what other programs saw during his playing days here.
most QB's went down a level, who says he didn't get a sniff? Hockman's stats are no better than O'hurry. His career stats are worse than O'hurry's. Just because he came from FSU, JUCO and NC State doesn't mean he is better. He was the backup until the starter went down.

most QB's went down a level, who says he didn't get a sniff? Hockman's stats are no better than O'hurry. His career stats are worse than O'hurry's. Just because he came from FSU, JUCO and NC State doesn't mean he is better. He was the backup until the starter went down.
OHurry couldn't win at a G5 level. Hockman won 8 games last year in the ACC. Big upgrade. Not even comparable. OHurry landed at Portland st. No one else wanted him. His reads sucked and wTF had nothing for him. Nuff said.

Reactions: Raiders_55
OHurry couldn't win at a G5 level. Hockman won 8 games last year in the ACC. Big upgrade. Not even comparable. OHurry landed at Portland st. No one else wanted him. His reads sucked and wTF had nothing for him. Nuff said.
Stop....believe what you want and by the way he didn't win 8 games, Devin Leary took his job in week 2 and out played him until injury. That's the only reason he played the last 5 to 6 games as the starter. But he is sooooo much better than O'hurry. Stats don't lie, look up 2019 and 2020 and O'hurry is the better QB with wTF coaching him and this band of misfits on the MT sideline. Sorry your argument doesn't hold weight.

Asher couldn't read a D to save his life. He tucked and ran when dudes were WIDE open. He wasn't always running for his life. Do you know how hard it is to block for a dude who won't follow the play. I was down on the sidelines in 2019 and the coaches were yelling at him for not running the right plays or reading the defense. He would just take off with no plan half the time. Asher won like 6 games total. If he WAS SO GOOD, he wouldn't be at Portland St. A QB who was recruited to play P5 and played in the P5 vs. a JUCO who wasn't recruited at all out of high school. Thanks for playing though.

Bailey came in and won 5 of NC st.'s 8 wins and nearly knocked off #11 Miami by putting up 41 points and he did hand Liberty their only loss. He also beat Wake, Syracuse and Tech. Asher took out a terrible FIU squad. Rice Quad doinked to lose to us. OHurry did barely beat Troy who ended up not being that great and we got clobbered the first time we played them. This is a dumb argument. I lost IQ points writing this.

Last edited:
Asher couldn't read a D to save his life. He tucked and ran when dudes were WIDE open. He wasn't always running for his life. Do you know how hard it is to block for a dude who won't follow the play. I was down on the sidelines in 2019 and the coaches were yelling at him for not running the right plays or reading the defense. He would just take off with no plan half the time. Asher won like 6 games total. If he WAS SO GOOD, he wouldn't be at Portland St. A QB who was recruited to play P5 and played in the P5 vs. a JUCO who wasn't recruited at all out of high school. Thanks for playing though.

Bailey came in and won 5 of NC st.'s 8 wins and nearly knocked off #11 Miami by putting up 41 points and he did hand Liberty their only loss. He also beat Wake, Syracuse and Tech. Asher took out a terrible FIU squad. Rice Quad doinked to lose to us. OHurry did barely beat Troy who ended up not being that great and we got clobbered the first time we played them. This is a dumb argument. I lost IQ points writing this.
all in a depleted covid year, thanks for playing those last 3 games. Bailey was probably one of the most overhyped QBs to come out of GA. He ran at FSU to JUCO, got to NC state and got beat out by Leary, since he was so good why did he leave? Once again running from competition, Leary is back and would be the starter. So go look at the stats for 2019 and 2020 and my point is proven. O'hurry's are better across the board. But hey we will see how good Hockman is, coming up real soon.

CUSA stats vs ACC stats. LOL. Liberty wasn't depleted. They only lost one game and Bailey took em out. That alone is better than anything that OHurry did. Liberty would have eaten OHurry's lunch and we would have lost by 30. He couldn't even beat UTSA and you're throwing out stats? LOL. Miami wasn't depleted either. Also, CUSA was more depleted last year and we still couldn't do squat. Stats don't win games and OHurry wasn't a winner. AT ALL. If he was, he'd still be here and we would have had 2 winning seasons with him. I'll take anyone over a dude who couldn't even try to find a no.3 before he'd take off running with no plan. I lived 2019 and 20 and it was brutal. 4 wins. WE LOST TO RICE in 2019. In 2020, 3 wins. WE GOT WORSE AND WE SHOULD HAVE LOST TO RICE AGAIN. LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT