ADVERTISEMENT

AAC vs SBC

ewglenn

Oct 6, 2021
If both options were on the table which would you prefer? Let’s say for the SBC we could choose either division, which would you choose east or west?

If both options were on the table which would you prefer? Let’s say for the SBC we could choose either division, which would you choose east or west?
AAC.
Tulane, Tulsa, Navy (Football Only) and South Florida can also be tough football road games. Wichita St.(BB Only) is tough in MBB.
Renewing the series and relationship with Memphis in Football and MBB would be fantastic and renew a historic BOR rivalry that dates back to 1925 when both schools were teachers colleges. MTSU holds a 17-9-1 record in the all-time Football series. Memphis hold the current Men’s Basketball series advantage at 27-15 since 1930 and last meeting in 2007.

Reactions: Noogaraider1
Memphis would never allow it. When we get in they will already be gone. Without them in there, and with the watering down because of the CUSA turds coming in (who are worse programs than ours with the exception of UTSA and UAB) I would prefer the SBC. No one in the new AAC wants to tangle with App st., ULL or coastal on the regular.

Neither, for now.

I want to see how CUSA, SBC, and AAC perform over the next 1-2 years. I do not believe the AAC & SBC are much better, especially after we lose the 6 members to the AAC which include a lot of dead weight.

CUSA will have superior basketball, in my opinion, assuming MT continues to play well. CUSA could become one of the strongest non-Power 5 basketball leagues if MT were able to get back to it's ways.

With regards to football, I believe the league will be much stronger than most realize. NMSU will always be a bottom feeder in football, that's fair and a given considering they've made 1 bowl game in like 20 years or something crazy. But WKU is still a solid program, Liberty is a f'in Juggernaut, SHSU could be the next App St., and Jacksonville State will be a big wild card. La. Tech is La. Tech and will always be at minimum a respectable Football and Men's B-Ball program and could surprise us all this year on the gridiron. Ruston fans might be unpleasant but they typically have solid to great teams. UTEP has finally returned to respectability on the gridiron and hardwood and should be able to at least be a formidable opponent in OOC play. When I look at CUSA I don't see any real bottom feeders that lack commitment and always suck (ie. the FIU's and Rice's of the world). NMSU is awful in football but they have a GREAT basketball program. I don't think people realize how good NMSU basketball is, they would have been #1 in attendance in CUSA if they were in the league last year. Very well supported program that consistently makes and wins in the NCAA tournament.

I actually think a lot of CUSA's success, or failure, will hinge on a program like MT. Will MT go back to sucking in basketball and 4 win seasons in football? Or will MT get back to 20+ win seasons on the regular in basketball and push for conference championships in football? The other big factor is, will Liberty and others stick around or jump ship the second they taste success and get the offer to "move up" ? If everyone stays put and makes a commitment to build this league and MT does it's part, we would actually be in a great position to be better leagues than both the AAC, SBC, MAC, etc.

I actually like the new CUSA, and I'm excited to see how things play out. Sure, SBC/AAC is getting some good programs from us, but they're getting some bad ones too. And UAB is due to lose their coach/regress, and same goes for UTSA. Marshall's coach is a dud and will lose them plenty of games, and App St.'s luck hitting on all these recruits I do not believe will continue. Same goes for Coastal. It's very likely that many of these flavor of the month SBC programs that have experienced success come back down to earth and regress.

CUSA has a big opportunity here to kick some tail, invest in it's programs, and re-brand itself. I wish we had a better front office because I don't have any faith in Judy, but if the conference wins and wins big then her incompetence will hopefully be overshadowed. We must get back on ESPN networks. The CBS/Facebook/BEin experiment was a failure. Acknowledge it and move on and be better.

As for MT, it is time to get serious about your major athletics programs. Dirt should have been moved a decade ago but it wasn't. Now you will spend 2x or more for the same upgrades, but that's your own fault. People have been asking and talking about the needed upgrades for 15+ years. Gonna have to bite the bullet and go all in here or just shut it all down. No point in being a pretender. McPhee gonna have to get that checkbook out and if we have any big money donors left they are too.

Last edited:
Memphis would never allow it. When we get in they will already be gone. Without them in there, and with the watering down because of the CUSA turds coming in (who are worse programs than ours with the exception of UTSA and UAB) I would prefer the SBC. No one in the new AAC wants to tangle with App st., ULL or coastal on the regular.
Once the new P5 TV contracts come up and the rules changes, everything will be a more regional conference an we MT, will be in a Kentucky, Bama, GA based conference. They will put on budget and scholarships limits 125 being proposed and fully funding all other sports as well. So with the change being thrown around for football to break off, they not taking all schools with them. That would be a waste of time.

I'd honestly wait. I didn't used to think that, but there is a lot in flux now and making the wrong decision could kill athletics.

The new TV deals will be a big window in to the future. The new AAC deal with the dead weight pulled from us will be a grrat guage. Our new deal, which leads me to the biggest worry of all, Judy. I simply do not trust her at all. I agree completely on needing to be on ESPN. Period. I could live with a few Fox games (I freaking love watching WVU games with Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt) but no more CBSsports or online random streams.

I also really really think the P5 is gonna shrink. Once they get the autonomy they want from the NCAA and get the new playoff TV deal, it will become P4 (if not bigger SEC/B10 then everyone else) and not everyone will get a ride. There will be a lot of good schools ripe for the picking to have a great geographically oriented conference.

But, but, but, none of this matters if we don't get the facilities done, show a commitment to continue upgrades (new scoreboard, more chairbacks, extend beer garden, etc) and CONTIUOUSLY WIN. We have to win conference championships in BB and FB especially.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT