ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB #23 Middle Tennessee (16-2, 9-0) vs FAU (11-7, 4-5), 6PM, Thursday, January 26, 2023

Hoping to see some comfortable leads the next few games so we can continue building more depth. Would like to find at least 5-8 minutes nightly for Riley & Grannum. Enjoyed the article on Grannum where she & the team are finding her role here. She's becoming more important for her additional post presence as we approach March. With Riley's offensive skill set hopefully we can develop her in a similar vein over the next 4-5 weeks.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I thought Coach Insell made a good point during the coaches show this week. Last year's FL trip we went 1-1 beating FAU 60-56 and losing to FIU 54-56. Just saying it may not be a walk in the park.

Poor second half effort as ladies got totally outplayed. Coach made telling post game statement about tonight's "poor 3 point shooting is not us." If we review 3 or 4 of our last games I believe he's made a similar post game remark more than once. Gregory & others have been struggling from beyond the arc recently. Concentration must improve. Team was averaging over 75 points/game, but last 3 offensive outputs have been sub 70.
Being said, any victory is a good victory. But coaches & players need to reevaluate lackluster quarters.

We played a very good first quarter. We got bored after that and FAU got embarrassed.
Our team is in need of a challenge where we need to bring it for 4 quarters. Wish we had another top 25 team on our schedule to see what we really have.

To me it was disappointing, maybe my expectations were too high.
We recently have shown great quarters followed by very poor quarters or vice versa. Also what was a really consistent 3 point shooting squad, is now suffering from shooting slumps. In my experience good outside shooting has a lot to do with simply being tired legs. We know coach has a pension for favorites. And has no problem playing his favorites 35-40 minutes a game, while others get considerably less time. Seems to take pride in this for some reason. Not to bring in negativity for a 17-2 top 25 team, but is some of the spotty play & lower scoring the last couple of games due to our top players simply becoming too exhausted to maintain quality of play for extended minutes? While substitutions are better this year than last I know players like Gregory & Whitson have still had multiple 35-40 minute games. My personal concern is our coaching staff is wearing down certain players & it's starting to catch up with us.
Just one fan's concern, could be wrong though. Thoughts?

This team can be maddening. Look great for one quarter and then appears they have never played a game together in the next. This will not be good come tournament time. I also agree he needs play more players (which is always an issue with him) and try not to end games with 4 timeouts in his pocket.

We recently have shown great quarters followed by very poor quarters or vice versa. Also what was a really consistent 3 point shooting squad, is now suffering from shooting slumps. In my experience good outside shooting has a lot to do with simply being tired legs. We know coach has a pension for favorites. And has no problem playing his favorites 35-40 minutes a game, while others get considerably less time. Seems to take pride in this for some reason. Not to bring in negativity for a 17-2 top 25 team, but is some of the spotty play & lower scoring the last couple of games due to our top players simply becoming too exhausted to maintain quality of play for extended minutes? While substitutions are better this year than last I know players like Gregory & Whitson have still had multiple 35-40 minute games. My personal concern is our coaching staff is wearing down certain players & it's starting to catch up with us.
Just one fan's concern, could be wrong though. Thoughts?
I agree. The lack of substituting plus the refusal to call timeouts really hurts us in games this year, as always. We are so close to being very, very good but the actual in game coaching really needs to improve to get us to that point. That’s not to say we aren’t good - but if we’re gonna get to where CRI wants us to be, then these little things need to be improved upon.

I totally agree with this point. Coach Insell is way better than all of us with regards to basketball, but he himself said last night that for the second half we came out unfocused and threw up two floaters that totally missed. A quick timeout to refocus them and or light a fire under them to get after it on defense is not a bad thing. I understand wanting timeouts at the end of the game, but the need may never arise if you call a timeout to try and stop a slide, and or refocus the players. The coach could call a set of offensive plays he wants to run and make sure the players that are hot shoot them. We have quarters that start out with players that are cold on their shot shooting two or three shots that totally miss and it sets a tone for the quarter. I am not sure how that works with Insell's philosophy of shooting when they have a good shot. A timeout or two here and there would not hurt.

When I complain about not calling enough timely time outs on a 17-2 team, I feel like a billionaire complaining about the price of a cup of coffee. I love this team, but I worry against much better teams they wont be able to survive a 20 point slide for a quarter. They are amazing though and a blast to watch.

This team can be maddening. Look great for one quarter and then appears they have never played a game together in the next. This will not be good come tournament time. I also agree he needs play more players (which is always an issue with him) and try not to end games with 4

When I complain about not calling enough timely time outs on a 17-2 team, I feel like a billionaire complaining about the price of a cup of coffee. I love this team, but I worry against much better teams they wont be able to survive a 20 point slide for a quarter. They are amazing though and a blast to watch.
I blame the slides on the coaching staff more so than the players. These slides are intervenable if only the bench was smart enough to stop the bleeding. Rick & Matt are quality coaches in many ways. I don't understand their lack of comprehension on resetting the team's momentum when these things happen. I dreamt this could be a sweet 16 or elite 8 caliber team, but I think many of us on this board feel this type of scenario will be our undoing come March.

Tend to agree with you but I realize there are two schools of thought on this. Remember back to the early sunbelt days and we were hosting WKU in the first round of the tournament. We started off down 20-2 and Rick never called a timeout. We ended up winning the game by about 20 and I think MTC took an early retirement. He is a HOF coach for a reason. He has a method to his madness. We are lucky to have him coach a great group of young ladies!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT