ADVERTISEMENT

Winner of ODU vs. MT not guaranteed a bowl game

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
After Texas Tech (+8) beating Texas and Buffalo (+7) beating Ohio, it's looking like 6-6 in CUSA isn't going to be guaranteed for a bowl game.

IMO, there's too many bowls anyway and the cut off should be 7 wins, at least. Bowls used to be a lot more prestigious it seemed. Now you just gotta go .500 and you're rewarded with a bowl game. That really takes away from the allure that they once had. Unfortunate.

Anyway, with Texas & Buffalo winning, there are now only 2 open spots left with many more opportunities for other teams to be bowl eligible.

Teams that will likely fill those spots include Temple -3.5 @ Tulsa, ULL -6 hosting Ga. Southern, Florida State -5 @ Florida and then hosting ULM (Needs to win both), UNLV +3 @ Nevada, and La. Tech -1 hosting UTSA. Teams with decent chances include Tulane +8 @ SMU, and New Mexico State with games still to go against Idaho and South Alabama (Needs to win both), Duke +11 @ Wake Forest, Georgia Tech +11.5 @ Georgia, and Minnesota +18 hosting Wisconsin.

If 3 or more of these teams become bowl eligible, then 6 win teams are no longer guaranteed a spot in a bowl game. Teams potentially influenced by this in CUSA....the winner of the MT vs. ODU match up, WKU, La. Tech (if they win), UTSA (if they lose to La Tech). Could potentially have MT, WKU, La. Tech, and UTSA all with 6 wins. The more teams that win from the above scenarios, the more 6-6 teams that will be getting snubbed. I think we'll see at least 3, and probably 4 teams win their games.

That will leave two teams with 6 wins getting snubbed, with the snubs likely coming from CUSA because of the surplus of bowl eligible teams from the conference.. Will be interested to see who gets snubbed.

The Blue Raiders have a strong tradition of getting snubbed for bowls. It's almost as strong as our tradition of humiliating bowl losses when MT does go.

Irony?

Just saw CBS Sports has MT projected for bowl in Detroit. The bowl the day after Christmas. Anyone else think that if MT were to go to Detroit that AD duties would take Massaro to Detroit for the bowl game instead of Hawaii for a regular season basketball tourney? Anyone else thinking Massaro will be trying for any bowl he can for the football team other than Detroit the day after Christmas?

Reactions: MT Glenn
Irony?

Just saw CBS Sports has MT projected for bowl in Detroit. The bowl the day after Christmas. Anyone else think that if MT were to go to Detroit that AD duties would take Massaro to Detroit for the bowl game instead of Hawaii for a regular season basketball tourney? Anyone else thinking Massaro will be trying for any bowl he can for the football team other than Detroit the day after Christmas?

That projection was before all the upsets. I think it most likely we will not be bowling.

Reactions: Hop45
Highly doubt there will be a bowl game. With Temple and Duke both winning, there are no zero extra slots available. If any of the remaining teams still playing for bowl eligibility win, then there will be guaranteed snubs. Because CUSA is the conference with the most excessive bowl eligible teams without the appropriate bowl tie-ins, CUSA will be the first conference to get snubbed. And which schools do you think will be the first to get snubbed? You know better.

So as of now, every team from here on out that gets eligible knocks out another 6-6 team. Teams that can still get eligible....La. Tech, New Mexico State, Florida State. La. Tech is up 7-0 on UTSA, so we'll know the outcome of that tonight. New Mexico State plays South Alabama next week and Florida State hosts ULM next week as well. I think we'll see 2 out 3 of these teams eligible, which means two teams who are 6-6 will get snubbed. Both teams will probably come from CUSA. I'm guessing MT will be 1 of those teams and the other will be La Tech or WKU (Flip a coin). UTSA should get a bowl game.

La. Tech wins - There's now officially more "bowl eligible" teams than bowl slots.

FSU favored by 28 over UL-Monroe

New Mexico State favored by 10 over South Alabama.

So very very likely both will win and become bowl eligible.

This means there will be 4 teams who are 6-6 sitting at home for the bowl season. Most of these teams will come from CUSA since CUSA has 10 bowl eligible teams and not enough slots to fill those teams.

MT's chances for a bowl look very, very bad right now.

Nobody to blame but ourselves though. We had plenty of opportunities throughout the season.

I wonder how many of these 6-6 teams have six wins over FBS teams. Who has an fcs/1aa victory in their total of six?

Not sure, but that doesn't matter. The conferences with excess teams without the appropriate tie-ins (CUSA) will get snubbed first, as they should. Having 10 bowl eligible teams is crazy. That's more than half the conference, no? Where's the prestige when that many teams go "bowling"....

Not getting the extra practices does hurt. I feel like all "bowl eligible" teams should at least be granted the extra practices.

The sad part is, we probably would have beat whoever we played in a bowl game this year because it would be a bad Sun Belt team or a bad MAC school and we are playing decent ball right now. Figures.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I'll be following the Florida St and New Mexico St games today. Both are double-digit favorites, but allow me to dream. Upsets would take 2 teams off the list.

NMSU and FSU both win, both become bowl eligible.

No and he didn't mention the fact that they don't 6 FBS wins and actually has less fans that we even have.

from a post on cusa board:

CUSA Confirmed Bowl games
Times are Central

Saturday Dec 16
12:00 pm ESPN: New Orleans - UNT vs Troy
1:30 pm CBS College Sports: Cure - WKU vs Georgia St
3:30 pm ESPN: New Mexico - Marshall vs Colorado St
7:00 pm ESPN: Camellia - Middle Tennessee vs Arkansas St

Tuesday Dec 19
6:00 pm ESPN: Boca Raton - FAU vs Akron

Wednesday Dec 20
7:00 pm ESPN: Frisco - La Tech vs SMU