ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Who was the starting QB when you became a MTSU fan?

Wes Counts around 2000. My junior year. Really kicked in a couple yeara after I graduated when Joe Craddock was here.

I think Jonathan Quinn was the QB when e moved here from Texas and started going to some games. (1995)

Remember Mike Robinson being QB when Ben Hurt was still coach. Was in elementary school and had limited understanding of football. Know Murfreesboro had red/white/blue fire hydrants—probably 1976 or 1977. Mike knew my older cousin.

Gabe Alaniz

Not sure if I was a fan yet. But my first game was in Champagne, IL in Sept 1998. I would start grad school here a year later - which was the first year of I-A.

Wes ended up replacing Alaniz in that game and think pretty much starting every game from there out - with the exception of McCollum's bizarre attempts to try to make Jason Johnson the starter. SMH.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Jason Johnson was a baller though. He and dwone almost beat Maryland single handedly up at college park.

That was a strange time where you were on team Jason or team Wes.

Fred Rhohrdanz (sp?) early 70s under Bill Peck, a good man who couldn't get a win in four tries against our arch rival at the time, TN Tech, and didn't get a chance at a fifth try. Long for those days of futility where accountability was still a thing.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Jason Johnson was a baller though. He and dwone almost beat Maryland single handedly up at college park.

That was a strange time where you were on team Jason or team Wes.
Indeed. Never understood it. McCollum seemed to think he had a big time dual threat QB in his midst. But he only averaged 1.7 ypc. Wes averaged 1.6 in his career. Moreover, Wes was a much better passer and game manager.

QB Rating
JJ: 120.5
WC: 137.5

Does anyone have a list of starting QB‘s 2000-current? Would be fun to go down memory lane.

I think Andrico Hines was the first one I remember.

Im just looking back at the starters on opening day on goblueraiders.com other than the 2010 and 2021 seasons

- Andy McCollum era -
2000-01 Wes Counts
2002-03 Andrico Hines
2004-06 Clint Marks (Stockstill hired Clint’s senior season)
- Rick Stockstill era -
2007-08 Joe Craddock
2009 Dwight Dasher
2010 Jeff Murphy/Logan Kilgore/Dwight Dasher (suspended 4 games)
2011-13 Logan Kilgore
2014 Austin Grammer
2015-18 Brent Stockstill
2019-20 Asher O’Hara
2021 Bailey Hockman (quit after week 3)/Chase Cunningham
2022 Chase Cunningham
2023 Nick Vattiato

Last edited:
I can’t remember. Did Dasher start as a true freshman or sophomore? And did he declare for the draft? That 2009 season was something special and still didn’t win a ship lol

Wes Counts was the QB when I enrolled in 2001.
Ditto for me. Season opener at Vandy was game 1. Raiders dominated with about 15,000 MT fans in attendance. Won the home opener in blowout fashion against Troy as I recall. Had the high scoring Idaho game before high scoring games were all that common. All came unglued on a 78 yard punt in Denton, Texas. And 22 years later, here we are!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT