ADVERTISEMENT

Well, they've hired SOMEONE

Pouring in now… Not thrilled with the choice but I’ll give him a shot.

At least we know what we’re getting… a coach with a significantly under water record at Vandy. He could do well here. Let’s see what happens. Contract had better be with high expectations.

So an avg SEC coach getting a second chance at MT is wrong, didn't he own MT and WKU while at Vandy shutting down that spread offense. didn't he beat mighty UGA and TN with less talent. I think he will good here, he'll he knows where the schools are in the county and recruited them well while at Vandy. So give the man a chance, because FAU did with Lane and he proceeded to kick our ass. Most yall are mad because he is from Vandy. Hell he won with less than MTSU has had Vandy. A stadium that hasn't been touched since 1982. He will be successful here, biggest thing is the assistants and support staff pool and who he hires

So an avg SEC coach getting a second chance at MT is wrong, didn't he own MT and WKU while at Vandy shutting down that spread offense. didn't he beat mighty UGA and TN with less talent. I think he will good here, he'll he knows where the schools are in the county and recruited them well while at Vandy. So give the man a chance, because FAU did with Lane and he proceeded to kick our ass. Most yall are mad because he is from Vandy. Hell he won with less than MTSU has had Vandy. A stadium that hasn't been touched since 1982. He will be successful here, biggest thing is the assistants and support staff pool and who he hires

I'm willing to give him a chance and I'm curious to see who he hires but I will remain extremely suspect of the hire.

He might be successful here but I 100% believe and know for a fact we could have done better.

The biggest concern for me is the man has never been on a team that has won a championship. Not a single conference title in his entire coaching career that I'm aware of. That is very concerning to me when you consider who we just fired.

The fact no school has leaked they are losing someone makes me think it’s Mason.

Incredibly disappointing. Feels like a lateral hire at best.
Lateral???? Try "we should have kept Stock" bad. Wow. I knew in my gut that they would f up this hire. I just knew it. Jerry Mack is 10 times the coach this moron is.

WKU beat him in 15. He went 0-12 his last year. That ain't average. That's literally the worst you can do. Lane Kiffin is 10 times the coach Mason will ever be. If this guy wins here, I'll eat my words but they f'd this hire up about as bad you can. .

I'm willing to give him a chance and I'm curious to see who he hires but I will remain extremely suspect of the hire.

He might be successful here but I 100% believe and know for a fact we could have done better.

The biggest concern for me is the man has never been on a team that has won a championship. Not a single conference title in his entire coaching career that I'm aware of. That is very concerning to me when you consider who we just fired.
easy 12 and 13 when he took over as sole DC for Stanford 2 PAC12 titles

Reactions: Raiders_55
This hire had me conflicted from the word go because of his Vanderbilt history. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: blueraiderJT
I’m officially done. How you can hire a guy who has done nothing but lose is the epitome of stupidity and the genius thought process of this “leadership”. And I realize it was Vandy but still a good coach can put a good season or two together. Just as Franklin did. Masons press conferences were terrible. He’s not going to win the press conference or excite the fan base.

Either of the UT guys would have been better than this. As stated above we passed on qualified candidates who have shown they can successfully lead a program to do this. It is literally f’n mind blowing how stupid McPhee is. He gets charmed by Mason and McDevitt and passes on better options. What a flippin albatross of an idiot.

I am not willing to give this hire a chance because we would have been better off keeping Stockstill. And this was my fear. I wanted to keep Stockstill a couple of more years to hopefully see if McPhee would be gone when this hire would be made because I knew he would F it up. And that’s exactly what he did. McPhee is a cancer on this institution as is that moron Steve Smith. I’m done caring about this place. Done.
I’m not sure why you have so much faith in Massaro and blame everything on McPhee. They are both awful.

I’m officially done. How you can hire a guy who has done nothing but lose is the epitome of stupidity and the genius thought process of this “leadership”. And I realize it was Vandy but still a good coach can put a good season or two together. Just as Franklin did. Masons press conferences were terrible. He’s not going to win the press conference or excite the fan base.

Either of the UT guys would have been better than this. As stated above we passed on qualified candidates who have shown they can successfully lead a program to do this. It is literally f’n mind blowing how stupid McPhee is. He gets charmed by Mason and McDevitt and passes on better options. What a flippin albatross of an idiot.

I am not willing to give this hire a chance because we would have been better off keeping Stockstill. And this was my fear. I wanted to keep Stockstill a couple of more years to hopefully see if McPhee would be gone when this hire would be made because I knew he would F it up. And that’s exactly what he did. McPhee is a cancer on this institution as is that moron Steve Smith. I’m done caring about this place. Done.
You do know that Vandy under Franklin let them bring in some questionable characters and what happened. Oh yeah the rape and cover up and Franklin running out the door. When Mason took over they went back to there normal enrollment process. Give the guy a chance, he will get it done here

Because I know what I know. And you watch he will be front and center at this press conference tomorrow.
McPhee has been holding Massaro back in all other aspects of improving the athletic department too? Or just every coaching hire?

McPhee has been holding Massaro back in all other aspects of improving the athletic department too? Or just every coaching hire?
All aspects. Just look at the whole facility debacle. He didn’t get it until suddenly this year when mTSU got passed over again.

He thinks he knows what he’s doing. He thinks he’s the smartest guy in every room he walks in. But he’s a fool because of this ego he has. He has failed this university on just about every level. I miss Dr. Walker. Why couldn’t we have that man 20 years! SMH

easy 12 and 13 when he took over as sole DC for Stanford 2 PAC12 titles
In 12 and 13, We won 8 games per season and beat Memphis twice with a win over GT and a nearly ranked Marshall with our HC not a DC. 12 and 13 is ancient history now with the portal, NIL and whatever fresh slice of hell the NCAA is cooking up.

In 12 and 13, We won 8 games per season and beat Memphis twice with a win over GT and a nearly ranked Marshall with our HC not a DC. 12 and 13 is ancient history now with the portal, NIL and whatever fresh slice of hell the NCAA is cooking up.
he asked a question I gave him the answer. Don't be so salty my guy.

He thinks he knows what he’s doing. He thinks he’s the smartest guy in every room he walks in.

A good boss hires smart people and gets out of their way.

The best and, arguably wisest boss I ever worked for, knew himself and what he didn’t know. He was wise enough to listen and make sound decisions based on his staff recommendations.

If you’re the boss and think you’re the smartest person in the room, you either suck at hiring people or you’re actually the moron.

A good boss hires smart people and gets out of their way.

The best and, arguably wisest boss I ever worked for, knew himself and what he didn’t know. He was wise enough to listen and make sound decisions based on his staff recommendations.

If you’re the boss and think you’re the smartest person in the room, you either suck at hiring people or you’re actually the moron.
I've been in retail grocery for over 25yrs from the bottom to now being an invoice auditor for a firm that contracts with over a dozen retail companies. In all my years I've learned the best managers literally do nothing. They hire the best people, trust those people to do their jobs, stay out of their way, and support them so that they can succeed. A true manager is only as good as the people they surround themselves with. Being humble, outspoken yet reserved, is one of the best qualities a manager can have.

Take from that what you will in how it relates to our leadership, but I think my point is made.

I think it’s a good hire.

CUSA has numerous coaches that were less than impressive as P5 HCs - Rich Rod flamed out everywhere. Jerry Kill was .500 at Minnesota with a losing conference record. Vanderbilt is probably the toughest place in P5 to win at, and he did win there for a couple of years.

I was never enamored with Walden, who seemed very flavor of the moment to me. UTk fans would trade Banks for Mason in an instant, so that’s a win.

I like it!

CUSA has numerous coaches that were less than impressive as P5 HCs - Rich Rod flamed out everywhere. Jerry Kill was .500 at Minnesota with a losing conference record. Vanderbilt is probably the toughest place in P5 to win at, and he did win there for a couple of years.

I was never enamored with Walden, who seemed very flavor of the moment to me. UTk fans would trade Banks for Mason in an instant, so that’s a win.

I like it!
The Jerry Kill point is very valid. Maybe Mason is motivated to prove everyone wrong.

All Kill did was go into Auburn and man handle them 31-10. I mean, NMSU dominated them. That alone should get Jerry Kill coach of the year in my eyes. We dreaded NMSU when they were announced as a CUSA. Now, I'm so glad they are here. LOL.

We will see who he hires. That's gonna paint the picture now.

Reactions: ewglenn

I like it!

I'll say this: Derek Mason wouldn't have been my first or second choice. The 27-55 HC career resume makes me skeptical of the body of work even considering Vanderbilt and the notable wins over Tennessee during that stretch. To his credit, the variety of AC positions should serve him well in depth--from Stanford to the Minnesota Vikings. I want to believe he has a solid command of game management decisions and in technical coaching of "X's and O's". However, the 0-8 goose egg is extremely hard to overlook even in a COVID-shortened year. The final verdict of his success will be how effectively he assembles the team of coaches and how he builds rapport around them to create a winning culture/chemistry. Recruiting and utilizing portal effectively will be extremely important. Think we will know very quickly the prognosis of success--good or bad.

This can be a good hire but can go very sour almost as likely. I wish him the best.

I'll say this: Derek Mason wouldn't have been my first or second choice. The 27-55 HC career resume makes me skeptical of the body of work even considering Vanderbilt and the notable wins over Tennessee during that stretch. To his credit, the variety of AC positions should serve him well in depth--from Stanford to the Minnesota Vikings. I want to believe he has a solid command of game management decisions and in technical coaching of "X's and O's". However, the 0-8 goose egg is extremely hard to overlook even in a COVID-shortened year. The final verdict of his success will be how effectively he assembles the team of coaches and how he builds rapport around them to create a winning culture/chemistry. Recruiting and utilizing portal effectively will be extremely important. Think we will know very quickly the prognosis of success--good or bad.

This can be a good hire but can go very sour almost as likely. I wish him the best.
I wish this had been my response to this. Great post.

To be fair, that 0-8 was all against SEC opponents. They played a team in Texas A&M that finished 4th and Florida 13th. Everyone outside of SC were significantly better than them and even SC probably was.

Reactions: mtfblue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT