ADVERTISEMENT

Stock to FSU?

Noles 24 7 is reporting Rick Stockstill is being hired as an "offensive analyst."

Don't know what it pays but maybe it saves us a few bucks.
Analyst positions typically pay next to nothing. It's the perfect position for a fired coach because it meets the requirement that they continue to seek employment, but the new job they have pays next to nothing which is a benefit to the University, in this case FSU. It completely screws the former school that fired them because now they have no recourse to recoup any money back now. We are gonna have to pay nearly the full buyout now. It is the ultimate F you by Rick on the way out.

Last edited:
Was the offset for new employment written in to his contract? I thought someone said we owe it regardless. Maybe I was dreaming with the amount of buyouts tossed around last year.

Was the offset for new employment written in to his contract? I thought someone said we owe it regardless. Maybe I was dreaming with the amount of buyouts tossed around last year.

Someone said there was no offset language but I watched an interview with Massaro where he explicitly stated that Rick was required to seek gainful employment.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Someone said there was no offset language but I watched an interview with Massaro where he explicitly stated that Rick was required to seek gainful employment.
The latest contract I looked at included offset language

Reactions: ewglenn
The latest contract I looked at included offset language

Yeah. So this is the perfect gig for Stock. He has gotten a job which that offset language requires.......but it will be as low paying as it gets. Probably not even 100k. And it will be a low stress, no expectations position. He'll be breaking down film at best I suspect in sunny Florida.

MT will be on the hook now for nearly the entire sum of the remaining contract.

Yeah. So this is the perfect gig for Stock. He has gotten a job which that offset language requires.......but it will be as low paying as it gets. Probably not even 100k. And it will be a low stress, no expectations position. He'll be breaking down film at best I suspect in sunny Florida.

Yep.

Worth it.

I fussed when we didn't go MAC, and have admitted several times since then I was wrong. This just proves it more since not moving is paying for his exit.

For reference, Alabama pays analysts in the $30-40k range. Assume FSU plays around the same.

Glad for Stock. This is the perfect job for someone that is 11 months from full retirement age.

Analyst positions typically pay next to nothing. It's the perfect position for a fired coach because it meets the requirement that they continue to seek employment, but the new job they have pays next to nothing which is a benefit to the University, in this case FSU. It completely screws the former school that fired them because now they have no recourse to recoup any money back now. We are gonna have to pay nearly the full buyout now. It is the ultimate F you by Rick on the way out.
Who was going to hire him at his age and his coaching record? Absolutely no one. We were always going essentially pay out the full amount.

I watched about the first 5min of that on my lunchbreak. I have lots thoughts, but let's just say my opinion and view of his offense is different than theirs.

• Haha
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Kinda painful to watch. Saying Bama's success stemmed from former head coaches coming in as analysts and helping out! yeah, had NOTHING to do with their elite recruiting classes. The kev guy appeared to be saying what FSU wants to hear, but his body language didn't look like even HE believed what he was saying. Not a ton of confidence.

He'll teach them basketball on grass and how to churn out an impressive .500 record.

Reactions: MTTim
Honestly, i never thought Stockstill's teams were that bad X's and O's wise.

They just never put in the work to get the athletes in recruiting to make them work at a championship level.

I don't care if a reincarnated Lombardi is on our sidelines - when you are that much slower and smaller and less talented than the guys on the other sideline, all the X's and O's won't mean diddly.

Which is a long winded way of saying Stock's problem was definitely in recruiting the the Jimmy's and the Joe's, not the X's and the O's.

I didn't get the impression these pod guys were too impressed.
One thing. If Stock doesn't produce he won't get another lifetime contract. The Noles will off him quick.
I wish him the best.

Honestly, i never thought Stockstill's teams were that bad X's and O's wise.

They just never put in the work to get the athletes in recruiting to make them work at a championship level.

I don't care if a reincarnated Lombardi is on our sidelines - when you are that much slower and smaller and less talented than the guys on the other sideline, all the X's and O's won't mean diddly.

Which is a long winded way of saying Stock's problem was definitely in recruiting the the Jimmy's and the Joe's, not the X's and the O's.
I think it was both.

There was always one or two games a year when it looked like the coaches put together a good game plan.

But there were serious problems with the scheme (to reliant on horizontal run game & perimeter screens to act as an extension of the run game) and player development (OL has been a problem and S&C).

Stock the man is a good man. Happy that he has a chance to go back at FSU. Stock the coach had some flaws. And that’s why he’s an offensive scouting director.

I think it was both.

There was always one or two games a year when it looked like the coaches put together a good game plan.

But there were serious problems with the scheme (to reliant on horizontal run game & perimeter screens to act as an extension of the run game) and player development (OL has been a problem and S&C).

Stock the man is a good man. Happy that he has a chance to go back at FSU. Stock the coach had some flaws. And that’s why he’s an offensive scouting director.
Lol, I'm not. I'm a FSU fan and we've been taking some losses on the recruiting trail. Would've much rather Norvell make some moves to bring on another recruiter instead of an analyst.

Lol, I'm not. I'm a FSU fan and we've been taking some losses on the recruiting trail. Would've much rather Norvell make some moves to bring on another recruiter instead of an analyst.
This is a question more so for the folks who run this site, since it’s geared toward recruiting.
I was under the impression the only people on a football staff who can recruit off-campus are the 10-11 actual position coaches? All the other cadre of GA’s, analysts, director of player personnel, yada, yada, yada, can NOT recruit away from their campus. Is that correct?
I guess they can send out communications and interact when prospective players are on campus, but was under the impression the NCAA had limits on who could do what?
Any clarification any of you have knowledge of would be appreciated! Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT