ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB UT fires Harper

Gotta say though, I do admire their standard and sticking to it. I wish we had that in some things.

Reactions: Hop45
Tough replacing a legend when you pigeonhole yourself to candidates that only played or coached at UT. I like Harper and believe her to be a decent HC but was clearly in over her head

Should have covered South Carolina's big center Cardosa in the SEC playoffs. Would probably still be the coach if they had won that game.
Honestly hardly anyone played SC as well as the Lady Vols did, but that last play where a couple Tennessee players weren't within 15-20 feet of guarding anyone likely cost Harper her job.

Tough replacing a legend when you pigeonhole yourself to candidates that only played or coached at UT. I like Harper and believe her to be a decent HC but was clearly in over her head
It's hard replacing a legend in-house or not. We all know Matt will take over, and I think he has learned a lot since not working out at Ole Miss, but still. We are used to post season every year and a championship every other year. As we've seen in men's, that can be gone quick. Matt (or whoever) will have a high standard of expectations to meet. Not saying he can't do it, but it is tough, just like it will be for DeBoer at Bama.

Just saw a rumor that they may go after the Jackson St coach.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Just read that Jackson St coach Tomekia Reed is officially a free agent as of today. Contract expired. Interviewed with Tulane, not accepted position yet.

Reactions: mtfblue
It's hard replacing a legend in-house or not. We all know Matt will take over, and I think he has learned a lot since not working out at Ole Miss, but still. We are used to post season every year and a championship every other year. As we've seen in men's, that can be gone quick. Matt (or whoever) will have a high standard of expectations to meet. Not saying he can't do it, but it is tough, just like it will be for DeBoer at Bama.

Just saw a rumor that they may go after the Jackson St coach.
Don't think anybody is going to blame a program for trying it once, but you better get it right the 2nd time and UT didn't. You can argue that Matt is basically Co-HC at this point.

If I was Danny White, I'd make decision in the here and now on whether to prioritize recruiting or development and let your search reflect that. Swing big

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
In spite of losing to us this year, they will view it as an easy win over a good team. Not likely to cancel.
I hope we welcome their new coach with a Murphy Center azz whipping.
Especially given next year's game is in Knoxville (I think).

I got my doubts on either getting hired, especially Caldwell. White would never hear the end of it hiring someone with a single season of D-1 experience , but it gets her name out there for other high profile openings

Caldwell playing her style with a Power Conference roster would be something else. Marshall, it was tough because of the player difference between them and VT for example, but at UT...

I can confirm she has interviewed with Tennessee and will be one of the primary candidates. Outside of her tho, idk who else is confirmed up there. I think a lot of people are speculating but she’s in that top group

Yup. ESPN is reporting it now. I mean you really can't blame her. Sure it has been down since Summit, but she still made it a legacy position. I don't think there is any coach that would turn it down.

Yup. ESPN is reporting it now. I mean you really can't blame her. Sure it has been down since Summit, but she still made it a legacy position. I don't think there is any coach that would turn it down.
The Duke coach turned them down

TN will be fighting the ghost of Summitt forever, there are too many schools now taking basketball serious, not just Uconn, Stanford and UT, the best players have too many options now. They will be a top 25 program but not the Summitt days.

Well I gotta say I'm surprised. This is one of these hires that can get you in trouble if the coach is over her head. I'm very interested to see how her philosophy translates at that level

Saw an article today. Her base is $750k. 5yr deal. But there is a clause that if she wins a national champ she will automatically become the highest paid coach in the country. AD said that clause would've been in contract for any coach they hired.

More I think about Caldwell being hired my skepticism increases. UT fans & administration are used to seeing elite 5 star & numerous 4 star players on the floor. If I'm a 5 star player do I want to play for a coach who is going to platoon me off the floor every 3-4 minutes? Nope. Most elite athletes attending a school they expect to be in the top 10 want to play almost the entire game period.
I see Caldwell's philosophy working with 2 & 3 star athletes, not the 4 & 5 star players that so many of the fans expect to see up in Knoxville.

More I think about Caldwell being hired my skepticism increases. UT fans & administration are used to seeing elite 5 star & numerous 4 star players on the floor. If I'm a 5 star player do I want to play for a coach who is going to platoon me off the floor every 3-4 minutes? Nope. Most elite athletes attending a school they expect to be in the top 10 want to play almost the entire game period.
I see Caldwell's philosophy working with 2 & 3 star athletes, not the 4 & 5 star players that so many of the fans expect to see up in Knoxville.
Despite their struggles, it's still UT, you and I could sign a 4 star to play there. UT's problem hasn't been lack of talent. Like most good coaches, I imagine Caldwell will make small tweaks to her philosophy, which was probably born out of a lack of resources she had to work with at Glenville more than anything else

Despite their struggles, it's still UT, you and I could sign a 4 star to play there. UT's problem hasn't been lack of talent. Like most good coaches, I imagine Caldwell will make small tweaks to her philosophy, which was probably born out of a lack of resources she had to work with at Glenville more than anything else
That's my thought too. She said in an interview that recruits she was after at Marshall that wouldn't hardly give her the time of day before are now texting her.

I think being good in transition, shooting at a high clip, and forcing turnovers will play anywhere

Will be entertaining to see how CRI's style of play works out versus coach Caldwell's next year. My only concern after watching the LSU home court onslaught by the referees is we don't get totally shafted by similar calls in Knoxville.

Will be entertaining to see how CRI's style of play works out versus coach Caldwell's next year. My only concern after watching the LSU home court onslaught by the referees is we don't get totally shafted by similar calls in Knoxville.
More prudent question might be how quickly UT adapts to their own coach. To beat a pressure defense you need to attack the middle of the floor and have multiple ball handlers. Having a big that's solid on the perimeter will help Middle against that pressure as well.

Don't think UT will be as good as LSU and hopefully we will be a little deeper so foul trouble doesn't sink us

I think they will certainly be coming in with fire after we beat them last year, but a first-year coach usually has some struggles starting out, so I would like our chances to go in there and steal a win especially considering the game will be one of the early ones in the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT