ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB No Respect

MTOleBlue

All American
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2015
Not only were we underseeded by the NCAA Selection Committee, a quick glance at forums, Twitter, etc. shows just how unlikely most people think our hopefully upcoming win over Louisville really is. I hope the ladies prove all these naysayers and haters wrong by showing up and showing out against the Cards and then taking it to LSU as well. The LSU fans think it's a bygone conclusion they're playing L but I'd love for us to spoil the party.

Not only were we underseeded by the NCAA Selection Committee, a quick glance at forums, Twitter, etc. shows just how unlikely most people think our hopefully upcoming win over Louisville really is. I hope the ladies prove all these naysayers and haters wrong by showing up and showing out against the Cards and then taking it to LSU as well. The LSU fans think it's a bygone conclusion they're playing L but I'd love for us to spoil the party.
I don't like it either but until we win a few NCAA tournament games we will not have earned any respect.
I do hope we wipe the floor with Louisville.
LSU is on a whole different level.

While I appreciate & respect your loyalty, going to have to 100% disagree with your assessment.
Yesterday Space posted a synopsis of MT via ESPN. I’m paraphrasing but the gist of it was, MT would benefit from winning an NCAA game. Their combined record is 5-20, the WORST RECORD of any school who has played more than 20 NCAA games. Their last NCAA win was in 2007.
Respect is earned, not given. We have been feasting on playing in rather weak conferences. Yes, we have had 1-2 signature wins each year out of conference.
Until we do some damage in the NCAA on a consistent basis we will get what they decide we deserve. Whether justified or not.

In a very similar setup in 1982, MTSU men had never won an NCAA game and were paired up against Kentucky. If you want to talk about norespect we were in the OVC and the committee wanted Kentucky to play Louisville. It was a forgone conclusion, so much so that Louisville fans were buying tickets in droves for the expected matchup. That is how I got my ticket. After we beat Kentucky, we did get demolished by Louisville, but it was still an outstanding blue-letter day.

While I appreciate & respect your loyalty, going to have to 100% disagree with your assessment.
Yesterday Space posted a synopsis of MT via ESPN. I’m paraphrasing but the gist of it was, MT would benefit from winning an NCAA game. Their combined record is 5-20, the WORST RECORD of any school who has played more than 20 NCAA games. Their last NCAA win was in 2007.
Respect is earned, not given. We have been feasting on playing in rather weak conferences. Yes, we have had 1-2 signature wins each year out of conference.
Until we do some damage in the NCAA on a consistent basis we will get what they decide we deserve. Whether justified or not.
I get what you’re saying but it’s not like we haven’t had postseason success. Two years ago we made a run to the WNIT Final Four, and just last year we beat the very same Louisville team we’re facing on Friday in a blowout win… we know how to beat them. Success in the NCAAs has been very elusive but it’s very disrespectful to the team how most casual fans and coaches will see them and immediately say there’s no shot at winning (Creme being an exception). People also discredit the hard work it takes to go undefeated in any conference in the country, even if it’s not the SEC. Respect is certainly earned but this team has done it this year for people, including the selection committee, to not immediately see us as the sacrificial lamb for an LSU vs Louisville matchup.

Last edited:
I think most people go with what they have heard us do in the tournament and give us little thought other than that. If you were filling out a bracket, you would look at the record 29-4 and see who we lost to tournament teams. Your immediate conclusion would be we had an easy record and got beat by anyone that was any good. They would never know about us beating Louisville last year. It takes sustained success over a period of time. We are just about to start that this Friday.

I think most people go with what they have heard us do in the tournament and give us little thought other than that. If you were filling out a bracket, you would look at the record 29-4 and see who we lost to tournament teams. Your immediate conclusion would be we had an easy record and got beat by anyone that was any good. They would never know about us beating Louisville last year. It takes sustained success over a period of time. We are just about to start that this Friday.
All fair, but we did also soundly beat a very good Tennessee team albeit missing their best player. On ESPN’s tournament challenge not a single expert picker has chosen us to win which is fair given our past history but it’s time to change that and make some noise. We match up well with Louisville and it doesn’t really matter who feels we can win or not because the team knows we can and will have last year’s game giving extra hope and motivation to do it again.

Reactions: crassyblue
The good thing about this team is this whole unit has played together start to finish all year. Starting 5 from game 1 to game 33 pretty much identical. Everybody knows their roles, & with 2 seniors 2 juniors & a sophomore out there we have good experience.
I felt with the poor shooting start against Liberty we could get rattled. However, by 4th quarter we shot something like 8-12 from the floor. Offensively I think we appear to be a stronger 2nd half squad than we are a 1st half group.
Our defense has been typically excellent through the entire game. If we can get through the 1st half competitively in the game, or possibly leading by halftime the game is ours. I don't see the Princeton situation happening again.
We are very much a momentum team now. When or if we sense the kill, especially led by Wheeler everyone else can smell it too. That was evident the way the CUSA tourney played out.
This team also plays off the crowd. The LSU fans could play an important role for us in game 1. As the underdog we may be able to pick up fan support against Louisville. From their perspective we would probably be the preferred victim for game 2.
Hard to know how it will play out, but for some reason I don't feel it will be the dominating loss we suffered last year. Will the Raiders win or lose this time? Got no Idea, but they had a tremendous season far, & will be proud for them either way. Good luck Coach & Lady Raiders!

I just don't get a lack of respect vibe from anyone that is considered knowledgeable on WBB. At some point, you got to win in the NCAAT, there are HS kids walking around that weren't alive the last time Middle won.

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT