ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Leaving the AAC for the Big East

What's are chances of grabbing their spot in the AAC with McPhee and Masarro at the helm?

Zero.

I think MT is not in as good a shape as it was when it was one of the last few teams brought into CUSA, after Charlotte, ODU, and FIU were selected ahead of us. There is absolutely no energy in our leadership.

Last edited:
They will recognize our fan base's anger at Stockstill and his complete mediocrity. Our only saving grace would be basketball, as both men's and women's teams have turned into typically decent programs.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
It is market based and Nashville market is better than any market mentioned. Only exception would be Charlotte.

And Big East does nit have football. Will UCONN stay in AAC for football.

I’ve seen TrueBlue billboards all over Metro Nashville for years at the major interstate interchanges. Even on I-40 in Memphis. What has that done for us? Unfortunately, MT is in the heart of SEC Football. One of my new golfing buddies from church was sporting UT apparel one day and I asked him what years he was at UTK. He replied, “Oh, I graduated from MTSU but we’re UT fans.” I asked him why he couldn’t be a fan of both.
From ‘10-‘14, I made peace with the Memphis folks and had season tickets for both schools. Then Massaro approved the Tommy West hire and gave Stock his 8-year guaranteed blessing for keeping Middle in the Middle. That made me ask myself, “why bother?” If they don’t have higher expectations for my alma mater then why should I?
I’ll attend games that interest me and root for my school but I won’t continue to throw money at folks who are just hired help that are coasting to retirement.

Oh to be clear I do not think we will be picked, but it will probably be someone in a bigger market than Huntington or Norfolk.

Massaro has spent the last 10+ years building relationships with the Big East (now AAC) AD's and presidents with hopes to move MT to the AAC.

I don't see it happening (even if with the growth of the Nashville market). Attendance is down, support seems to be dwindling, and facilities are falling behind.

Massaro has spent the last 10+ years building relationships with the Big East (now AAC) AD's and presidents with hopes to move MT to the AAC.

I don't see it happening (even if with the growth of the Nashville market). Attendance is down, support seems to be dwindling, and facilities are falling behind.
He built those relationships with hopes of the next job. If he had put as much effort into building our program, facilities and support we may have been in a better position for a move up. Right now our only options are Sunbelt or FCS. Sad.

What frustrates me is that nothing new is being done. Honestly, what they are doing is not keeping a retention on graduates.

These jackasses are just collecting a paycheck. It is so obvious. They don't know what memes are. They don't know what hashtags are. They don't know how to use a platform to generate interest. The beer garden is the first thing I have seen different since 1998. Sad, lazy, mediocre. I was so pissed off I sent every 898-#### call recently to voicemail. Don't call me - I'll call you.

If there's a top 10 list we don't even make that list. See exhibit A...

https://www.dnj.com/story/sports/co...dance-floyd-stadium-chris-massaro/3134227002/

What frustrates me is that nothing new is being done. Honestly, what they are doing is not keeping a retention on graduates.

These jackasses are just collecting a paycheck. It is so obvious. They don't know what memes are. They don't know what hashtags are. They don't know how to use a platform to generate interest. The beer garden is the first thing I have seen different since 1998. Sad, lazy, mediocre. I was so pissed off I sent every 898-#### call recently to voicemail. Don't call me - I'll call you.
Season tickets for Young Alumni discounted to $50 is another recent thing they are doing. Also discounted membership to the BRAA for Young Alumni for first 4 years after graduation. Also $50/year. That has been going on for around 4 years now.

The problem is not getting them to games and invested in the teams while they are on campus. Admission is already free and they do some giveaways for students that attend games. The Blue Zoo coming back hopefully helps, but if they do not care about the teams while they are here then they won't when the graduate. Money should not be an issue. Can be a BRAA member and get football season tickets for $100 total for 4 years after you graduate.

This. They're just a bunch of old folks out of touch with reality but I doubt you can convince them of that. Ignorance is bliss, they say.

I started school at MT in 2003 where I became a rabid fan of the football program circa 2004.

Besides some new turf and jumbotron, what exactly has changed in 16 years? NOTHING.

I cannot even put into words how much this administration has failed our football program. We should honestly be grateful that Stockstill has been able to keep us as competitive as we are because we are outclassed by 3/4th's of our conference members when it comes to weight rooms, meeting rooms, coaches offices, etc. And you better F'ing believe recruits notice this. Schools like WKU consistently wreck us on the recruiting trail, even in their down years, because of this. It's harder to recruit quality coaches when they see a lack of commitment by the administration. It's noticed by everybody.

Massaro is asleep at the wheel at this point. We all know he's been plotting his next move for quite some time, while we remain stuck in the Middle with no progress whatsoever. Could we at least try something different? What's it gonna hurt at this point? I've heard nothing but good things about Blackburn, and he wants the job. Let him have it. What's the worse that could happen? Nobody show up at the games? Nobody will donate? That's already happening.

The entire football program is on life support, and nobody appears interested in trying any heroic life saving measures.

Last edited:
This. They're just a bunch of old folks out of touch with reality but I doubt you can convince them of that. Ignorance is bliss, they say.

I started school at MT in 2003 where I became a rabid fan of the football program circa 2004.

Besides some new turf and jumbotron, what exactly has changed in 16 years? NOTHING.

I cannot even put into words how much this administration has failed our football program. We should honestly be grateful that Stockstill has been able to keep us as competitive as we are because we are outclassed by 3/4th's of our conference members when it comes to weight rooms, meeting rooms, coaches offices, etc. And you better F'ing believe recruits notice this. Schools like WKU consistently wreck us on the recruiting trail, even in their down years, because of this. It's harder to recruit quality coaches when they see a lack of commitment by the administration. It's noticed by everybody.

Massaro is asleep at the wheel at this point. We all know he's been plotting his next move for quite some time, while we remain stuck in the Middle with no progress whatsoever. Could we at least try something different? What's it gonna hurt at this point? I've heard nothing but good things about Blackburn, and he wants the job. Let him have it. What's the worse that could happen? Nobody show up at the games? Nobody will donate? That's already happening.

The entire football program is on life support, and nobody appears interested in trying any heroic life saving measures.
I like how you gave Stockstill some credit here. Yes he could do more, but he does not have as much to sell as many of his peers. If we would have built what they are planning to with new locker room, weight room, etc. for football 5 years ago I think we would see a difference. Sure Stock could do some things better and did not deserve the contract he got, but he has done pretty well with the hand he was dealt.

Reactions: Hop45
If Stockstill doesn’t like his environment or is not getting what he needs here to succeed then he can go get another gig. Problem is. No one would hire him. He has a sweet deal here.

I have no sympathy for a coaches plight in this arena. Do like the rest of us do and go get another job if you can’t be successful without amenities.

He has been successful. Just not as successful as we (or probably he) would like. Not sure where I mentioned anything about sympathy or anything like that. I also never said Stockstill was not happy here. You read a lot of things into that comment. I just simply pointed out he has outperformed most of his peers with in many cases worse facilities. I think he would have zero problem finding another job if he wanted to.

The proof is in the pudding and our pudding has no flavor nor is the product exciting enough for anyone to care about which they don't. All of our shiny aluminum each game proves that. It's a combination of mediocre coaching, terrible marketing and bad leadership with no vision or ambition. Put it all in a pot and let it simmer for 15 years and what do you get? Bad pudding.

The fact is you give Stock credit for keeping it afloat but exactly what has that produced? What would be the difference between going 4-8 vs. 7-6 every year? I really don't see any excitement either way. At least with bad seasons change comes with mediocrity you post more mediocrity.

If Stockstill doesn’t like his environment or is not getting what he needs here to succeed then he can go get another gig. Problem is. No one would hire him. He has a sweet deal here.

I have no sympathy for a coaches plight in this arena. Do like the rest of us do and go get another job if you can’t be successful without amenities.
No way in hell he gives up this deal unless he’s ready to retire. I blame the two folks who made him fireproof.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Winning 7-8 games per year for this long does suck, but if we did not have to schedule 3 money games every year it might turn into 9-10 wins a year. We go into this year with 3 games against good P5 opponents. That leaves 9 games against teams with similar resources. Winning 7-8 of those is not that bad. Sure we can beat Duke, but they win 7-8 times out of 10. Last year we were 8-3 against non-P5 opponents and two of those losses were to conference champions. To take the next step we need to win more games against P5 opponents and G5 championship caliber teams.

Reactions: coachchia
We had plenty of seasons where we didn't schedule body bag games and still performed mediocre. Granted, the last few years we have. I just think they have to raise the bar on the field to justify people wanting to show up.

Every year since 2006 with the exception of two we have played 2-3 games against power conference opponents. Those two years we played a P5 opponent and BYU.

USM-centric article from four years ago, but still an interesting article:

Eagle Rocked: Southern Miss, Conference USA, and the Dark Side of College Football Realignment
Years ago in our 1-AA days I was so envious of USM - thought they were equal to MSU and Ole Miss except an independent (at the time they were a hell of a lot closer than today) - I remember being upset when their BkB team had a home and home BkB series with the other Golden Eagles who reside in the "armpit of the upper Cumberland". I would have considered a BkB series with anyone who played D-1 FB great for MT BkB at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT