ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING transfer

http://goutrgv.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5038

2016-17 (Sophomore): Finished the season with a WAC-leading 111 three-pointers, the 12th highest total in the NCAA, the second-highest total in program history and the fifth-highest total in WAC history … Also led the WAC in three-pointers per game (3.47, sixth NCAA) and three-point attempts (298, seventh NCAA) … Ranked second in the WAC in three-point shooting (.372, 69th NCAA), third in field goal attempts (448, 80th NCAA), fourth in field goals made (177, 238th NCAA), and fifth in scoring (116.7, 173rd NCAA) and total points (534,182nd NCAA) … Led team in scoring 14 times, rebounding six times and assists four times … Reached double-figures in scoring 26 times, including 12 games of 20+ points … Reached double-figures in rebounding once en route to one double-double … Scored 19 points with eight rebounds in WAC Tournament Quarterfinals vs. UMKC (3/9) … Scored 19 points vs. Utah Valley (2/25) … Scored 13 points vs. Seattle U (2/23) … Dropped 21 points on New Mexico State (2/18) … Scored 22 points at Seattle U (1/28) … Scored 18 points at Utah Valley (1/26) … Earned Madness WAC Player of the Week honors (1/23) … Recorded single-season program record fifth game of at least seven three-pointers with seven en route to a game-high 26 points vs. Chicago State (1/21) … Hit five three-pointers for game-high 23 points with career-high tying three steals vs. Grand Canyon (1/14) … Hit a trio of three-pointers en route to 14 points vs. CSU Bakersfield (1/12) … Nominated for USBWA Most Courageous Award (1/4) … Scored game-high 21 points while hitting five three-pointers vs. Texas A&M-Kingsville (12/31) … Went 9-for-17 from behind the arc for game-high 29 points vs. Our Lady of the Lake (12/29) … Posted second-career double-double with 16 points and career-high 11 rebounds vs. Lamar (12/16) … Hit eight three-pointers while scoring 24 points vs. North Florida (12/12) … Hit five three-pointers en route to 20 points and team-high six rebounds vs. Texas State (12/7) … Scored game-high 28 points on career-high tying 10-of-26 shooting with season-high seven rebounds at Portland (12/5) … Earned All-Tournament Team honors at Destiny Realty Emerald Coast Classic (11/26) … Hit program record 10 three-pointers while scoring career-high 30 points vs. Grambling State (11/25) … Scored 17 points with five rebounds and four assists at Iowa (11/20) … Scored career-high 26 points on career-best 7-of-9 shooting from behind the arc vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (11/16) … Scored 20 points on 7-of-14 shooting, including 4-of-9 from behind the arc, with career-high three steals at UT Martin (11/13) … Scored 36 points while going 10-for-14 from behind the arc in exhibition vs. UT Tyler (11/4) … Earned Preseason Coaches, Media & Madness All-WAC Second Team honors.

2015-16 (Freshman): Earned WAC Freshman of the Year honors (3/8) after scoring in double figures in eight of the 12 WAC games in which he played, with 20 or more points twice. In conference games only, he led the WAC in minutes per game (35.17), ranked fifth in three-pointers per game (2.17), seventh in assist-turnover ratio (1.61), ninth in assists (3.08), 10th in defensive rebounds (4.08) and 16th in scoring (11.3) … Ranked seventh in the NCAA in three-point shooting by a freshman at .381 (59-for-155). Overall, Green ranked 83rd in the NCAA and fifth in the WAC … Led team in scoring seven times, rebounding four times and assists five times … Reached double-figures in scoring 16 times … Scored career-high 22 points on 7-of-17 shooting, including 4-of-10 from behind the arc, plus career-best 4-of-4 from the line, with team-high tying seven rebounds and four assists at Chicago State (2/28) … Hit four three-pointers and converted a three-point play during 16-point effort vs. Missouri-Kansas City (1/16) … Led team in points (17), rebounds (6) and assists (6) at Utah Valley (1/9) … Posted first double-double with 10 points, career-high 10 assists and no turnovers vs. Our Lady of the Lake (1/2) … Named to Global Sports Hoops Showcase All-Tournament Team after scoring 15 points against Idaho State (12/23) … Tied career-high with 20 points after making career-high six three-pointers and dishing out career-high five assists at Utah State (12/21) … Scored 15 points while hitting three three-pointers at Houston (11/30) … Hit four three-pointers while scoring 16 points vs. Southeast Missouri State (11/24) … Scored 20 points on 8-of-13 shooting, including 4-of-7 from behind the arc, with eight rebounds, four assists and one steal vs. Texas A&M-Kingsville (11/20) … Made first start, scoring 12 points while hitting a trio of threes at North Florida (11/16) … Scored nine points on 4-of-6 shooting with four rebounds and one steal in debut at Miami (11/13).

2011-15 (Tupelo High School): Averaged 17.5 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.4 steals in 27 games while shooting .587 (172-for-293) from the field, .553 (68-for-123) from behind the arc and .772 (61-for-79) from the line as a senior … Earned All-State Honorable Mention and a spot on Mississippi’s 12-man roster in the Mississippi-Alabama All-Star game … As a junior, averaged 13.4 points, 2.9 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 2.4 steals in 20 games en route to All-State Honorable Mention.

Jan. 24, 2017 – EDINBURG, Texas – Three weeks ago, Antonio Green learned he was one of the final 10 for the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) Most Courageous Award.

His story starts at the age of two when he moved with his mother and brother from Memphis, Tenn. to Tupelo, Miss. Green’s mother told The Monitor that she wanted her children to avoid the “street life.”

Green says his mother was effectively both his mother and his father, although he has a good relationship with his father.

It was his mother’s support that has helped Green over the last two years since he became a father.

Green’s mother is taking care of his daughter while he pursues an education and plays basketball at UTRGV.

I see where TRGV has signed or has committed 3 guards for next year including a 3 star JUCO and a 2.5 freshman. I have to wonder is this figured into Green's decision to transfer.

And need I remind readers that with this transfer, if he holds and receives a ship, we are at 2 over. I know Davis says "it always works out" but he also says he wants MT to be a "national program". I don't know of any "national program" that consistently oversigns.

I see where TRGV has signed or has committed 3 guards for next year including a 3 star JUCO and a 2.5 freshman. I have to wonder is this figured into Green's decision to transfer.

Antonio has a young daughter who resides in Memphis with his mom. His brother was also murdered in Memphis last year. He transferred to get closer to his family.

And need I remind readers that with this transfer, if he holds and receives a ship, we are at 2 over. I know Davis says "it always works out" but he also says he wants MT to be a "national program". I don't know of any "national program" that consistently oversigns.

I don't know the numbers but I'd be willing to bet it happens more frequently than you might think. I also imagine that when CKD says things like "it always works out", he probably already has at least a preliminary indication or thought in his mind of how it will work out. I'm not concerned about roster management.

I looked at some of the videos posted above (thanks for including those Space!) and Green looks like one of the best shot-making guards we will have had during CKD's tenure. Really athletic looking player. I'm sorry Green has had serious family turmoil, but I'm glad he found his way to MT. I'm sure the staff was at least aware of him out of high school, given that he is from Tupelo, so there may have already been a little bit of familiarity there between Green and MT (even assuming MT didn't offer a scholarship out of high school).

Reactions: SpaceRaider
" Head Coach Kermit Davis filled his final scholarship slot . . ."

WTF - That's total BS and the writer should know better. Our final slot was filled when we signed JUCOs Hawthorn and Simmons and incoming freshmen Shelton-Smizdt, Massenburg, and Sims. I hate to keep beating a dead horse but we're 2 over the NCAA limit of 13 with those 5 along with Copeland, Potts, Simpson, Walters, Johnson, Gamble, Dixon, Thomas and now King and Green (both of whom seem to be really good gets). Which two of those do you not want in the program next year?

I realize that some agree with Davis when he says it always works out as it has in previous years. A few years back three players left under unusual circumstances before school even started even after a couple had played well on a summer trip and/or the previous year. I was looking forward to seeing those players in a Blue Raider uniform that season.

To some fans this oversigning seems to be as common across the board as it was for Troy FB a few years back. I checked the 14 C-USA schools, the 4 mid-state OVC schools, and the two in-state $EC squads. Of the twenty schools only four teams were above the scholarship limit at this time. Two were 1 over (UNT and Marshall), as noted MT is 2 over, and (wouldn't you know it?) WKU is 3 over (not too surprising with their coach's reputation, the fact that this is his first full year's class, and it's obvious that several of the numerous commits/signees in this year's class are academic risks.

Regardless, I wish we could get to the point where we go after the players we want, sign up to the limit (or leave an open ship - 8 of the 20 teams I checked still have scholarships to give), and then start recruiting for the next year. As a long time fan I hate sitting around all summer wondering just who will be on the squad the next year. My greatest fear is that oversigning and having to come up with a solution (finding a place to which a player can transfer, asking parents to pay for a player who thought when he signed his LOI it meant a free ride, or just kicking a player off scholarship at the last minute) will hurt the reputation of the program, especially among JUCO and high school coaches along with potential player's parents. I have no doubt Davis has an idea how this will work out but IMHO it would have been much better it the players who will not be on the team were known before the newer players were announced.

" Head Coach Kermit Davis filled his final scholarship slot . . ."

WTF - That's total BS and the writer should know better. Our final slot was filled when we signed JUCOs Hawthorn and Simmons and incoming freshmen Shelton-Smizdt, Massenburg, and Sims. I hate to keep beating a dead horse but we're 2 over the NCAA limit of 13 with those 5 along with Copeland, Potts, Simpson, Walters, Johnson, Gamble, Dixon, Thomas and now King and Green (both of whom seem to be really good gets). Which two of those do you not want in the program next year?

I realize that some agree with Davis when he says it always works out as it has in previous years. A few years back three players left under unusual circumstances before school even started even after a couple had played well on a summer trip and/or the previous year. I was looking forward to seeing those players in a Blue Raider uniform that season.

To some fans this oversigning seems to be as common across the board as it was for Troy FB a few years back. I checked the 14 C-USA schools, the 4 mid-state OVC schools, and the two in-state $EC squads. Of the twenty schools only four teams were above the scholarship limit at this time. Two were 1 over (UNT and Marshall), as noted MT is 2 over, and (wouldn't you know it?) WKU is 3 over (not too surprising with their coach's reputation, the fact that this is his first full year's class, and it's obvious that several of the numerous commits/signees in this year's class are academic risks.

Regardless, I wish we could get to the point where we go after the players we want, sign up to the limit (or leave an open ship - 8 of the 20 teams I checked still have scholarships to give), and then start recruiting for the next year. As a long time fan I hate sitting around all summer wondering just who will be on the squad the next year. My greatest fear is that oversigning and having to come up with a solution (finding a place to which a player can transfer, asking parents to pay for a player who thought when he signed his LOI it meant a free ride, or just kicking a player off scholarship at the last minute) will hurt the reputation of the program, especially among JUCO and high school coaches along with potential player's parents. I have no doubt Davis has an idea how this will work out but IMHO it would have been much better it the players who will not be on the team were known before the newer players were announced.
I don't have a problem with over signing. You have to hedge your bet knowing that young millennials are fickle at best. Some kids will leave a program in a heart beat. We have to maintain our momentum!

I am not too concerned about the numbers, do any of us know the details of who's on scholarship or other arrangements? I know in one interview CKD said of what's the difference between his first years and the last five or six years, is that he says he concentrates on the now, what is going to make his team great now, or something to that extent. He doesn't really make the primary focus of his roster what his needs are next year or two years from now. If a player can make the team better now is the question. Whatever. The details don't matter to me except, it be within NCAA rules. And you can't argue with the results.

Reactions: MTLynn
Well it was just announced that Qua Copeland is transferring out, so there you go.

And I'd venture to say that the local kid Sims will be taking full advantage of the HOPE Scholarship, so things could very well be even at the moment.

It was reasonable to expect that if any returning player left it would be Copeland. He seemed to do well when he "had" to play and was given time to get into the game but when called on for spot duty he tended to make mistakes (mostly mental) and was yanked quickly. Thank him for his contributions and hope he lands somewhere where he can get extensive minutes and show his skills. He could have a very good Sr. year at some D-II or NAIA school where he will be eligible immediately [Graduate from MT and he's eligible anywhere (if they have a graduate program we don't have ???) but I have no idea how close to graduation he is].

C-Bow, you may be more aware of how hope scholarships are counted toward an athletic scholarship than I am (as are other scholarships and grants) but IIRC they are used by the school to reduce the amount the athletic department has to pay the school for enrollment, room and board, etc. and the player is still counted as being on a scholarship by the NCAA. The only way Sims could not be counted would be for his parents to pay for his schooling and take him off of the athletic scholarship effectively making him a walkon, again IIRC.

If Sims doesn't walkon or go JUCO I suspect the remaining player to wind up elsewhere would be the JUCO Hawthorne but I don't have any inside info. It's just that Davis didn't seem to be too high on his progress during his soph year when interviewed during the season about the signees. Additionally, with the addition of King we now have him along with Walters, Thomas, Gamble, and Massenburg to man the 4 & 5. Hawthorne would seem to be the "odd man out".

C-Bow, you may be more aware of how hope scholarships are counted toward an athletic scholarship than I am (as are other scholarships and grants) but IIRC they are used by the school to reduce the amount the athletic department has to pay the school for enrollment, room and board, etc. and the player is still counted as being on a scholarship by the NCAA. The only way Sims could not be counted would be for his parents to pay for his schooling and take him off of the athletic scholarship effectively making him a walkon, again IIRC..

You are correct, but I want to say that the NCAA will provide a year exemption on the headcount for freshman receiving academic aid if the students are either in the top 10% of their high school graduating class, achieves a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.50, OR scores 1200 or higher on the SAT or ACT sum score of at least 105 ----- or something along those lines.

So as long as Sims has done his part in the classroom, KD would have a year before having to report him in the headcount. That's how I understand it, anyways. Admittedly, I may be way off base.

It's all...it's all very confusing LOL

Well it was just announced that Qua Copeland is transferring out, so there you go.

And I'd venture to say that the local kid Sims will be taking full advantage of the HOPE Scholarship, so things could very well be even at the moment.

I will always remember Qua for this play against Michigan State. Good Luck to him.

MTFNBY5,

I generally get the concern about the roster being in good shape. I know I usually have some pet peeves when it comes to bball and football rosters. Mainly, I sometimes focus too much on size at certain positions. I really like to see a legit 6-11+ center on the bball roster with some quality frontcourt depth. In football, I like to see DTs and OL weigh in the 300s of course with the assumption that at this level they are a strong and athletic 300lbs+ The height doesn't bother me as much with lineman as most to all 300lb+ lineman are over 6 ft tall.

Needless to say, Kermit's rosters have drove my obsessiveness into overdrive over the years with his preference for stretch 4 players that tend to skew the frontcourt size downward. Over time though, Kermit has certainly proven the success of smaller athletic scoring frontcourt players. Although, I still think an argument could be made for necessity of legit centers when it comes to NCAA sweet 16 - Final 4 etc. That's another topic for another day. Bottomline, Kermit has proven success with his preferred types of players.

It seems you are openly concerned about Kermit's management of overall roster numbers. It's just my opinion, but I don't think it has ever really turned into a problem for Kermit in overloading the roster. One of the big recent trends of player transfers certainly factors heavily into managing the roster. Also with Kermit having good success, MT is bound to have a player or two every so often who may want to leave due to lack of playing time. That said, it seems Kermit takes care of the roster when the season starts. Additionally, Kermit seems to keep his players in good academic standing with a good APR. All of that to say that I think Kermit is managing the roster just fine. I don't really see much of any cause for concern.

C-Bow - You are clearly more on top of recruiting rules than I am. A few questions regarding the freshman high-academic achiever headcount exemption. Must the player redshirt or can he be on the active roster therefore allowing a team with such a player to have more available scholarship players than the usual limit? Does this rule apply to all sports or just BkB? And, can a team have more than one player with this exemption during a given academic year? Thanks

And mtfblue: No doubt this is an expected outcome for Sims. To some of you posters with better knowledge of M'Boro high school BkB: IIRC Sims was offered and accepted the offer during his Jr. year at Blackman. Did he make the expected progress during his Sr. year to justify a D-1 scholarship? (as an aside: having local players on your roster is a double-edged sword. More local interest along with more local scrutiny. I hope that Sims parents, friends, hangers-on, etc. were aware of this possibility when he was recruited.)

And dukewayne: You make many valid points but in considering: ". . . I don't think it has ever really turned into a problem for Kermit in overloading the roster." Agreed, it had always worked out but we have no idea of how it is "playing in Peoria". There have to be a few coaches, parents, etc. who are just a touch miffed at the program, not that we know this has hurt on the recruiting trail. Additionally, would oversigning have become an issue if we had more media coverage? I have to think if we had just one observant beat reporter from a major metropolitan newspaper this recruiting philosophy would have come under critical examination. One of the few advantages I can think of not having extensive media coverage.

And lastly Space: So many memories from the last few years and that's one this old-timer had forgotten. A huge play at a crucial juncture in our most memorable game ever. That win was truly a team effort. Thanks for bringing the play to our attention and I join you in wishing good luck to Qua.

Last edited:
I will always remember Qua for this play against Michigan State. Good Luck to him.

One of my favorite plays of that game. I love the body language of Forbes. He hits a 3, MSU fans are pumped and Forbes celebrates as he turns back down the court. You can see it in his eyes that he thinks he has hit the shot that has turned the tide for Sparty, and then by the time he turns his focus back to the game his look changed to, "oh crap", as he realized Copeland was on the attack and almost all the way to the basket.

C-Bow - You are clearly more on top of recruiting rules than I am. A few questions regarding the freshman high-academic achiever headcount exemption. Must the player redshirt or can he be on the active roster therefore allowing a team with such a player to have more available scholarship players than the usual limit? Does this rule apply to all sports or just BkB? And, can a team have more than one player with this exemption during a given academic year? Thanks

And mtfblue: No doubt this is an expected outcome for Sims. To some of you posters with better knowledge of M'Boro high school BkB: IIRC Sims was offered and accepted the offer during his Jr. year at Blackman. Did he make the expected progress during his Sr. year to justify a D-1 scholarship? (as an aside: having local players on your roster is a double-edged sword. More local interest along with more local scrutiny. I hope that Sims parents, friends, hangers-on, etc. were aware of this possibility when he was recruited.)

And dukewayne: You make many valid points but in considering: ". . . I don't think it has ever really turned into a problem for Kermit in overloading the roster." Agreed, it had always worked out but we have no idea of how it is "playing in Peoria". There have to be a few coaches, parents, etc. who are just a touch miffed at the program, not that we know this has hurt on the recruiting trail. Additionally, would oversigning have become an issue if we had more media coverage? I have to think if we had just one observant beat reporter from a major metropolitan newspaper this recruiting philosophy would have come under critical examination. One of the few advantages I can think of not having extensive media coverage.

And lastly Space: So many memories from the last few years and that's one this old-timer had forgotten. A huge play at a crucial juncture in our most memorial game ever. That win was truly a team effort. Thanks for bringing the play to our attention and I join you in wishing good luck to Qua.

Well if there is one benefit for MT and programs like MT is that massive media scrutiny is not a big concern. If one were to call that a benefit.

Anymore these days, it seems that it is almost expected in D1 bball for young players with minimal playing time to transfer.

The only roster management problems for Kermit that I remember is back about 10 years ago. That was when Kermit was still having difficulty in finding players who were a good match for his style of program. A couple weeks of the intense hard work and it seemed like 2 or 3 young players were up and leaving the program before the first exhibition game.

Crucial defections have certainly diminished over the last few years. I'm still hurting over the loss of Bryan Smithson, Alex Weeks and Brian Lake along with others I can't remember who I was expecting to applaud on Sr. night. And that's not to mention the numerous highly-touted signees who never made it to campus. No one can fault dismissing a player who steals from his teammates or slashes a coach's tires nor can fans be upset when a player leaves for personal reasons.

Whether Davis has adapted his coaching to today's athletes, the staff is better at identifying players who will fit our culture, or players are making the effort to adapt because of the recent success I'm glad the roster turnover has improved. Regardless, it's obvious I'm not a fan of oversigning and I would be happy if the staff found a way to eliminate it from the recruiting philosophy.

Those days of all that turnover seems to be a long way back in the rearview mirror. Sure one or two might leave due to minimal playing time or even personal reasons. Sometimes, stuff just happens.

Whatever the case, along with all of the success came substantial stabilization of the roster. The mass defections gradually faded away. I imagine the HC and assts finding better fits for Kermit's style has been a huge factor. Success breeding success is likely a big factor. Players wanting to be successful are more willing to meet the intense demands of Kermit's system now that they see that they can and will have tremendous success working hard in that system. I imagine some other factors contribute as well. With Kermit's longtime tenure, I imagine he has established a network of HS and JUCO coaches knowing what Kermit expects and what players of theirs' would be a good match for referring to Kermit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT