ADVERTISEMENT

This Week in MT History (8/28-9/3)

MT Glenn

True Blue
Sep 19, 2005
10 Years Ago This Week
8-29-06:
FIU is forced to arrive in Nashville a day early due to the projected landfall of Hurricane Ernesto. The previous October, Hurricane Wilma had forced the MT-FIU game to be postponed until December 3, when MT won 35-31 in Andy McCollum's last game as MT head coach.

8-31-06:
The Rick Stockstill era begins with a 7-6 win over FIU in front of 20,058 in Murfreesboro. MT's only touchdown was a 33 yard run by Eugene Gross. On their first possession of the game, FIU scored on a 12 yard run by Julian Reams but the extra point was missed.

Taron Henry had an 18 yard TD reception overturned by replay. It was the first ever replay review by the Sun Belt Conference.

Colby Smith would be named Sun Belt Player of the Week. His 79 yard punt was longest in SBC history.

20 Years Ago This Week
8-31-96:
In Ruston, LA, MT (0-1) opened the season with a 20-0 loss to Louisiana Tech. The Raider defense had 5 interceptions but the offense only managed 12 first downs and 206 yards.

30 Years Ago This Week
8-30-86:
In Murfreesboro, MT opens season with a 47-0 win over Miles College. Marvin Collier passed for one TD and ran for 2 more. Other offensive touchdowns were scored by Robert Alford, Van Dingler and Floyd Walker. Jack Pittman recovered a blocked punt in the end zone for a score. The Raider defense had 5 interceptions.

I plan on doing this every week. I've tried this before but haven't been able to keep it going because of the time it takes to do it. This time, I've worked ahead about a year before posting, so hopefully, I can keep it going.

Thanks for this, Glenn! Great stuff!

10 Years Ago This Week
8-29-06:
FIU is forced to arrive in Nashville a day early due to the projected landfall of Hurricane Ernesto. The previous October, Hurricane Wilma had forced the MT-FIU game to be postponed until December 3, when MT won 35-31 in Andy McCollum's last game as MT head coach.

xzBdtfp.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT