ADVERTISEMENT

There are 4 teams with 6 wins in CUSA....who gets snubbed?

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
The four teams are MT, WKU, UTSA, and La. Tech.

Hypothetically speaking, let's say two teams get to go and two team's don't (I think this is the most likely scenario). Which 2 go and which 2 stay home, and why?

The four teams are MT, WKU, UTSA, and La. Tech.

Hypothetically speaking, let's say two teams get to go and two team's don't (I think this is the most likely scenario). Which 2 go and which 2 stay home, and why?

Very hard question. I have no idea how to answer it. If it butts in the seats then I would think a TX bowl game with UTSA is good, or Independence for Ltech. Middle has the biggest win and has played the best the last 4 weeks. If its name, I think WKU with a star QB and signature bowl wins gets he nod.

I hope we get it, we could use the practice time and I feel like we are in position to win.

Actually, we're tied with LaTech and are above UTSA in standings. Also, consider Buffalo, who has worse attendance than we do. La Tech is going and probably to Shreveport, 30 miles down the road. They can bring a lot of folks to that area.

UTSA isn't all that attractive but a Texas bowl could pick em. WKU is in our boat as well to be honest. FIU spanked them hard in front of about 600 people down in Miami.

I think we could get left out but if we do, a Mac team sits too.

If ULL loses next week, they're done, New Mex st. has a shot but South Bama could clock em. If they do, then the Belt will have a spot open.

Reactions: MT Glenn
I would have to think that if MT doesn't go bowling, the above picture is prima facie evidence as to why MT is left out. Bowls want teams that can put some fans in the seats. Again, home attendance is the glaring problem for the football program and the athletic dept. It's not something that can be hidden or reasoned away.

Rooting for the Tigers to win the AAC.

I'm sure none of this will come into play but I thought it was interesting that of the 12 potential 6 win G5 teams, only 4 of them have 6 actual FBS wins. The other 8 have one FCS win. So for quality of opponent, MT has 6 FBS wins with 1 P5 win.

The reality is that none of these teams (other than Navy) are bringing a huge number of fans with them unless it's a proximity bowl. (i.e. Indy Bowl with LaTech) Still, out of all of these G5 teams, only 1-2 would bring some people like Navy. I mean, how many Buffalo, New Mex st. or WMU fans are traveling far in December? So maybe the records or strength of opponents matter a bit more here. Maybe not. We'll see.

UTSA is in an interesting spot because they have a P5 win but they also have a FCS win.

Here's a breakdown of the G5 teams...

6 WIN TEAMS w/ ALL FBS WINS
--------------------------------------------------
Navy
MTSU (also has a P5 win)
Georgia State (they do have a loss to a FCS team)
New Mexico State (if they win this week)

6 WIN TEAMS w/ 1 FCS WIN
Louisiana (if they win this week)
Utah State
Western Michigan
Buffalo
UTSA
La Tech
WKU
Temple

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Here's a breakdown of the G5 teams...

6 WIN TEAMS w/ ALL FBS WINS
Navy
MTSU (also has a P5 win)
Georgia State (they do have a loss to a FCS team)
New Mexico State (if they win this week)

6 WIN TEAMS w/ 1 FCS WIN
Louisiana (if they win this week)
Utah State
Western Michigan
Buffalo
UTSA
La Tech
WKU
Temple

No team that lost to tn state should be allowed to go bowling over any other 6 win fbs program

Man, if we played Army, that would be awesome! We probably get left at home. The staff is trying to work a deal out in Orlando from what I hear but we'll see.

I wouldn't want us to play Army, unless our players can handle the role of being the villain, competing against our nation's heroes.

Rooting for the Tigers to win the AAC.

Speaking of MT fans rooting for Memphis.... Franklin, I have 2 Peach Bowl tickets with 2 fan fest tickets the 50 year commemorative coin & box that I am going to sell. If your Tigers win, you want them for face value?

From what I am hearing CM/staff are pretty confident we will get a bowl bid. I didn't know that many teams had 6 wins with 1 being a FCS win, and I think that has to factor into it. Looking at 3 places (rumor), Birmingham, one in Florida and one in Texas, but not Detroit.

Speaking of MT fans rooting for Memphis.... Franklin, I have 2 Peach Bowl tickets with 2 fan fest tickets the 50 year commemorative coin & box that I am going to sell. If your Tigers win, you want them for face value?
Thanks. You are very kind. If we are selected for the Peach Bowl I have ticket priority through the M-Club for former players. I have already booked my hotel room as well.

From what I am hearing CM/staff are pretty confident we will get a bowl bid. I didn't know that many teams had 6 wins with 1 being a FCS win, and I think that has to factor into it. Looking at 3 places (rumor), Birmingham, one in Florida and one in Texas, but not Detroit.

While I don't think 6-6 in general is deserving of a bowl game, of the 6-6 teams in our conference I do believe we are the most deserving. All 6 wins against FBS competition, with 1 win against P5 and 1 against a MAC school. I don't think there's another 6-6 team in CUSA that has a better argument, except maybe WKU since they beat us head-to-head. Such a shame we didn't win that game. This would all be a moot point.

As angry as I am about this season, and even though I view it as a failure, a bowl game would be good preparation for next year. The extra practices are crucial, and it'd be a nice shot in the arm for recruiting as well. With December being an early signing period now, I think playing in bowl games will provide even more of an edge now than before. Kids will probably want to play for programs that are still playing in December, and all bowls are nationally televised so that extra attention around signing day (especially if we play well) is great. I believe signing day is December 20th-22nd. Hopefully our bowl is before then or even better, on December 20th (if there's one that day).

Does anyone know what CM and crew are waiting on in regards to bowl game? All the teams in CUSA at this point are 100% determined. The outcomes of the NMSU and Florida State games shouldn't have much bearing unless we are getting screwed by CUSA and hoping to steal another conferences bid.

I think the bowls are waiting more than we are right now but the Cure bowl in Orlando is an option because Stock is good friends with the guy that heads up that bowl and I've also heard that Stock has even offered to buy a large portion of tickets to get the bid. I'm talking like 10 thousand. Stock is doing all he can and has offered to come out the pocket to go so we'll see.

I think the bowls are waiting more than we are right now but the Cure bowl in Orlando is an option because Stock is good friends with the guy that heads up that bowl and I've also heard that Stock has even offered to buy a large portion of tickets to get the bid. I'm talking like 10 thousand. Stock is doing all he can and has offered to come out the pocket to go so we'll see.

Whoa, without a discount, that’s a cold $250,000 for empty seats.

It's a gamble. If he spends 250k now, he has a potential to hit all cherries...get to 7 and get another year which is an additional 850k a year. duh...

It's a gamble. If he spends 250k now, he has a potential to hit all cherries...get to 7 and get another year which is an additional 850k a year. duh...

It's a good gamble if he knows who the opponent will be and/or can influence who the opponent may be. A few of the 6 win MAC and SBC teams are really, really bad this year. Bad enough that we would probably beat them.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315

c'mon, this is the guy who has for years punted on 4th and a half yard on the opponent's side of the field...y'all are talking like crs is a riverboat gambler...

He wants it for the players from what my friend told me. Stock puts his own cash into the program. A lot more than other coaches do. I respect the heck out of that.

We'll see if it works or not. It probably won't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT