ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL CUSA surprises for week 4

blueraiderJT

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2006
While our game was no surprise, it's safe to say the UTSA is the best team we will have faced all season. I don't see any other team beating them this season.

No. 1 surprise: WKU losing to Troy. - WKU has been throwing up yards at a Tecmo bowl rate all season. Troy was able to put pressure on Austin and make WKU pay for their defensive press covereage. WKU is very good but they are human and make mistakes, Our D has the ability to do the same thing to WKU that Troy did.

No. 2: UAB losing to Rice - UAB clearly had more talent but Rice's D line just shut down the run and forced UAB to beat them in the air which they just could not do. Rice is much improved and UAB has weaknesses that MT can expose. We could bounce back. We shall see which team shows up. UTSA gave out a nice blueprint on how to beat our D.

No. 3 - UNT beating FAU: FAU is simmply a Jeckyll and Hyde team. Dearmon's tendencies are showing and UNT read his book apparently. Dearmon and the offense was not prepared. FAU still has problems on defense and UNT simply took what was given to them.

No. 4 - FIU got another win! NMSU is the worst team in CFB. They have to be. They get to join our powerful conference next year. YAY!

Things are way different this year with no divisions. The UTSA loss hurt us more than in the past.

WKU and UTSA are both 1-0 and play next week. So one of them will get that loss.

UNT (already 2-0) still has Rice, UAB, WKU, and UTSA.

I really don't think any team is going to be able to afford more than 2 losses. Gonna be a very interesting race.

UAB might be winnable as they can't beat you through the air. Western is not. They will do exactly what UTSA did to us - probably only worse. Our run defense is good. But the secondary is atrocious. wkcc QB and receivers will have a field day.

Reactions: MTFAN61
UAB might be winnable as they can't beat you through the air. Western is not. They will do exactly what UTSA did to us - probably only worse. Our run defense is good. But the secondary is atrocious. wkcc QB and receivers will have a field day.
WKU does not have thesame OL protection and Austin makes mistakes more than Harris. Troy exposed them too.

This. Our run defense is great but geez, secondary is atrocious is right. Shafer is over safties too. Maybe move that away so he can focus on the overall defensive schemes, idk. Gilstrap is CBs (and special teams...which FG/punt blocking is great but runback coverage is awful) and West is of course D line. Royston LBs. I know Stock moved some people in the off season. Other changes may need to happen too if there isn't improvement.

We left the mid field wide open all night long and UTSA burnt us on it.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
This. Our run defense is great but geez, secondary is atrocious is right. Shafer is over safties too. Maybe move that away so he can focus on the overall defensive schemes, idk. Gilstrap is CBs (and special teams...which FG/punt blocking is great but runback coverage is awful) and West is of course D line. Royston LBs. I know Stock moved some people in the off season. Other changes may need to happen too if there isn't improvement.

We left the mid field wide open all night long and UTSA burnt us on it.
UTSA did burn us but no one will run with them. They have 3 NFL WR's and probably a NFL QB. Traylor is a great offensive mind as well. Our defense did adjust and get 3 picks including a pick 6. We were just out manned and out gunned. No other CUSA team has that size at WR. They used 2-3 TE's as well. They are laoded.

Reactions: Hop45
UTSA did burn us but no one will run with them. They have 3 NFL WR's and probably a NFL QB. Traylor is a great offensive mind as well. Our defense did adjust and get 3 picks including a pick 6. We were just out manned and out gunned. No other CUSA team has that size at WR. They used 2-3 TE's as well. They are laoded.

I've heard that a bunch over the weekend. Many said the "we got beat by a better team, on to the next one" I hate that.

Sure it's true, but isn't it a coaching staff's job to come up with creative ways to beat a team? Every team has a weakness. Even Georigia and Bama. A good coach can find that weakness and exploit it. We literally have the same game plan every time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I dont accept the better team won philosophy.

We lost by the exact same margin as we did last year. We adjusted to them in the second half but it was already too late. They have better players and way better coaches. They are the best team in the conference and it's not close. It is what it is. I hate it too and am not a fan of this regime at all but there it is.

The "better team" philosophy would go down easier if there weren't so many better teams.
We are 2-15 in the Stock era in games against the eventual 1st (or T-1st) place team either in the SBC, in C-USA East, or the C-USA c'ship game. Those 2 wins were against FIU (who tied with Troy, who we lost to) in 2010, and we ended up 3rd, and against Marshall in 2013, when we tied for 2nd with ECU (who we lost to).

We are 2-15 in the Stock era in games against the eventual 1st (or T-1st) place team either in the SBC, in C-USA East, or the C-USA c'ship game. Those 2 wins were against FIU (who tied with Troy, who we lost to) in 2010, and we ended up 3rd, and against Marshall in 2013, when we tied for 2nd with ECU (who we lost to).

Geez o'mighty. That's a stat even I hadn't fathomed with my spreadsheet. Wow that is awful.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
All these numbers matter to the fans but no one in charge cares. I do not understand how these clowns can do their jobs in good conscience.

BTW, we are approaching the series which I place the most importance and believe should hold the most importance. Most of us would agree wku is our conference rival. Well we have lost SIX out of the last 7 games, that's a number which should never, ever be reached by a single head coach. Yet, here we are. I've asked this question before. Name me another 'rivalry' where this nonsense is permitted to continue? To me, this is a firing offense. This offense is compounded by the 0-4 record against vanderbilt. Another .500 season and a bowl invitation. doesn't change my mind. A win over a 'ranked' team doesn't change my mind. Stockstill being fired is years and seasons over due. The people who took part in this extension deserve to be fired as well.

All these numbers matter to the fans but no one in charge cares. I do not understand how these clowns can do their jobs in good conscience.

BTW, we are approaching the series which I place the most importance and believe should hold the most importance. Most of us would agree wku is our conference rival. Well we have lost SIX out of the last 7 games, that's a number which should never, ever be reached by a single head coach. Yet, here we are. I've asked this question before. Name me another 'rivalry' where this nonsense is permitted to continue? To me, this is a firing offense. This offense is compounded by the 0-4 record against vanderbilt. Another .500 season and a bowl invitation. doesn't change my mind. A win over a 'ranked' team doesn't change my mind. Stockstill being fired is years and seasons over due. The people who took part in this extension deserve to be fired as well.
Unfortunately, the only way to make a change of political appointees is at the ballot box. Seriously.

This is a perfect example of how to defeat the Peter Principal. Instead of rising to the level of your own incompetence, just make sure everyone else around you is incompetent as well

I will say Dabo was 0-5 against South Carolina to start. That’s the only one close that I can think of. Obviously we know how that turned out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT