ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL The last season opening win vs 1A was 2006

Walt is not calling plays, Taggert is calling all the plays. He is the OC in title only.

We think alike!!
Would interject some energy into the program for sure. He slayed it in recruiting at UTC and turned Peay around fast. Someone we could definitely afford but no way massaro would hire a young gun much less with no connection to the good ole South Carolina days.

Will Healy

excerpt:

After spending the first season as the quarterbacks coach for record setting quarterback B.J. Coleman, Healy moved to the wide receivers coaching position. Healy spent 6 more years at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, with titles of recruiting coordinator and passing game coordinator added to his resume. As the recruiting coordinator, Healy manufactured back to back top recruiting classes in FCS football.

Healy was announced as the 19th head coach at Austin Peay State University[2] on December 20, 2015.[3] His 2016 recruiting class was ranked top 5 in FCS football, followed by the #1 ranked class in 2017 according to 247sports.

During the 2017 season, a cbssports.com article asserted that "Will Healy is doing a miraculous job at Austin Peay.".[4] Healy's Governors finished the season 8–1 in the FCS with its only FCS loss to Jacksonville State. The 7–1 mark in the OVC set a school record for Austin Peay and ties the most wins ever in a season. These accomplishments garnered Healy with the OVC Coach of the Year Award and the Eddie Robinson Award by STATS for the FCS National Coach of the year."[5]

I just don't see why Stock would walk away from what he has here.

There is no pressure. None. It might be the only FBS job in America where you don't have to meet any real standard or produce any real results.

We have a great coaching tree, and I think we would have a lot of interest in the program as a place where not only can you win, but you can move up into the P5 ranks. There's a lot of guys I think would be exciting to hire.

But I don't see any scenario where Stock walks away from this gig, and we apparently don't have a way to remove the albatross from around our necks, so we sail on......

I just don't see why Stock would walk away from what he has here.

There is no pressure. None. It might be the only FBS job in America where you don't have to meet any real standard or produce any real results.

We have a great coaching tree, and I think we would have a lot of interest in the program as a place where not only can you win, but you can move up into the P5 ranks. There's a lot of guys I think would be exciting to hire.

But I don't see any scenario where Stock walks away from this gig, and we apparently don't have a way to remove the albatross from around our necks, so we sail on......

I agree. Why leave a job when your boss tells you that you’re doing exactly what he wants.

Last edited:
From an X's and O's standpoint, generally speaking, our staff is OK (except when facing Vanderbilt). Where we've had some serious issues lately is recruiting. Our recruiting just hasn't been very good.

The saying "it's not about X's and O's, it's about Jimmy and Joe's" come to mind.

With that said while facilities aren't everything I would say MTSU's are in the most need of work based on every SBC and C-USA school that I've seen. Concrete and Steel don't make a program but realisitically it's hard to recruit kids when the place looks like "The Fall of the House of Usher". There are FCS schools that have nicer facilities, the proposed Football Facilities can't come soon enough.

The saying "it's not about X's and O's, it's about Jimmy and Joe's" come to mind.

With that said while facilities aren't everything I would say MTSU's are in the most need of work based on every SBC and C-USA school that I've seen. Concrete and Steel don't make a program but realisitically it's hard to recruit kids when the place looks like "The Fall of the House of Usher". There are FCS schools that have nicer facilities, the proposed Football Facilities can't come soon enough.

It would be easier if we had some excitement around the program.

That said, are our facilities really that bad? I know we're no Alabama or Tennessee or Clemson.

But it's hard to believe much smaller budgeted peer type schools (i'm thinking MAC, CUSA, SBC) have much better facilities than we do. I don't know, i'm just disbelieving I guess.

I know we can use an indoor facility. Floyd looks ok to me though - certainly comparable to at least the G5 average. .

It's kind of hard to raise money for facilities when your program has suffered through years of mediocrity with know hope in ending. Other programs have down years but they cut their losses and move on. We keep people around forever here. What other D1 school has had a president, AD, football coach, and until recently basketball coach all as long as we have?

That said, are our facilities really that bad? I know we're no Alabama or Tennessee or Clemson.

But it's hard to believe much smaller budgeted peer type schools (i'm thinking MAC, CUSA, SBC) have much better facilities than we do. I don't know, i'm just disbelieving I guess.

UAB facilities blows the doors off of MTSU, covered turf field with camera's mounted in the ceiling, grass practice field right next door, new FB operations center with nutrition center and player meeting rooms and they are getting a new stadium in two years.

App State has an indoor facility already along with great facilities inside stadium (pretty much everything is in the bottom of the press box) and I think they are building a new addition in one of the end zones soon.

Georgia State was probably the lower end FBS that I've seen and it was still better then MTSU. They are trying to build out/renovate the old Braves Turner field, which isn't bad but still had a baseball feel to it.

Eastern Kentucky (FCS) has better facilities.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
It's kind of hard to raise money for facilities when your program has suffered through years of mediocrity with know hope in ending.

Well the good news is supposedly it's coming, I've heard it 4-5 years away and while it's possible that the X&O's could change some of the outcomes as some have pointed out there needs to be a bigger commitment to the program above and beyond the Jumbotron in order to get better recruits.

The facts are MTSU can't get a better coach without a commitment to spend big money on the program. Who would want to put their name on the program when they're going to have to wait 4 years for facilities upgrades before they can start competing for some of the better recruits...it's career suicide. Maybe the funding can come sooner for the new football facilities, but I will tell you MTSU is behind the 8 ball in this category.

It would be easier if we had some excitement around the program.

I know we can use an indoor facility. Floyd looks ok to me though - certainly comparable to at least the G5 average. .

When I went to Marshall last year my daughter and I got food on the way in from that truck that parks under. I forget the name. Good burrito. We sat on the steps overlooking Reese. There were weeds growing up through cracks in the concrete at the foot of those steps and the steel framing in the concrete had major surface rust and needed painting badly.

Forget major upgrades right now. We need to take care of what we have first. Maybe it looks better now. Idk. But I was quite surprised.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Kill the program on purpose. Restart ala UAB. Problem solved.

UAB has serious donors who stepped up to the plate when that fiasco went down. I recall something like $60 million being donated to help restart the program. We have nothing even close to that. Not even close. I don't think we could raise 10% of that if the world depended on it.

Just an observation not what I believe. Maybe we shouldn't be an FBS school. We don't have the donors, we sure don't have the fan base. We are playing 3 money games a year now instead of just 1. We have fallen behind in the arms race.

This is just one message forum but if this represents our core, we really have no way forward.

Maybe we shouldn't be an FBS school. We don't have the donors, we sure don't have the fan base. We are playing 3 money games a year now instead of just 1.

Possibly. I fundamentally think the issue is the program isn't building, it's maintaining. For example in Atlanta Kennesaw State (FCS) didn't play a single money game until this year (4rd year in) and took Georgia State to the wire, KSU losing 20-24 on a last minute GSU touchdown. I think KSU's goal was to build opitmisim and momentum around the program with high win counts (12-2 2017, 8-3 2016, and 6-5 2015). Instead we're taking 3 money games and pretty much conceding 3 wins making MTSU lucky to get do 9-3...and we're not even taking potential win money games.

The recruits will come with the improved facilities but that's a long way off, I wish we could take a step back and work toward a double digit win season and build some enthusiasm with the alumni and the potential recruits. Not sure if playing Michigan in 2019 is going to accomplish that.

That happens when you have a medical school and are in the state's largest city...

It goes beyond even that, Birmingham (or Jefferson County) is funding the new stadium. But fundamentally what school have learned is if you don't have football you don't get donors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT