ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL The last season opening win vs 1A was 2006

The stagnant football program has gotten so fetid due to the length of time the toxic mediocrity has been allowed to fester, it is reasonably conceivable in my opinion that it ends up costing Massaro his job as well. All one needs to do is look at football attendance to see evidence for just how serious this problem has become.

MT 7
FIU 6

Rick always struggles in season openers vs 1A teams

This is why fans disappear from Floyd and the difference between announced attendance and butts in seats gets wider and wider each year. It's a growing apathy and indifference that is like a cancer and this current staff and leadership is to blame.

If you don't win then people don't support the program. I've never understood hiring Rick. He spent his career primarily as a position coach and his short stint as a coordinator was unsuccessful.

Hiring a guy with no head coaching experience is a needless roll of the dice for 1A programs.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
If you don't win then people don't support the program. I've never understood hiring Rick. He spent his career primarily as a position coach and his short stint as a coordinator was unsuccessful.

Hiring a guy with no head coaching experience is a needless roll of the dice for 1A programs.

There is a reason Stock was a long-time assistant who hadn't sniffed at a HC job until he came to the Boro.
Seemingly a high-character guy but obviously without the skill-set needed for a head coach.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I don't think Stock was the wrong hire in 2006...he did good the first year with a solid season in 2009. However, we didn't capitalize on 2009 and haven't improved since then and that's the issue. Really the issue is the contract, none of us wanted him to leave in 2009 but we also didn't want a contract bury us for years.

I don't think Stock was the wrong hire in 2006...he did good the first year with a solid season in 2009. However, we didn't capitalize on 2009 and haven't improved since then and that's the issue. Really the issue is the contract, none of us wanted him to leave in 2009 but we also didn't want a contract bury us for years.

This. I would be okay with this contract-minus the auto renewal for his first 4 years. The fact it was not recalibrated though and continues to reward the minimum without truly incentivizing better is a failure on Massaro’s part.

I'm honestly starting to wonder if I will ever see another head coach at MT that doesn't have the last name Stockstill. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Rick hangs on as long as he can to try and hand it off to Brent eventually. That's probably the plan to be honest.

Fast forward to 2040, and we still havn't won a conference title and we still have a Stockstill as head coach.

Just dig my grave right now.

2006 ? Wow, that's a long time.

You have to fire Massaro first so he brings in his own coach. Don't let Massaro get close to hiring anyone. Just amazes me that MT hasn't done anything with him. Same underachieving program and it starts at the very top.

The potential is definitely there for this program to progress, but as someone else mentioned. Ten years later - same old stock you bought 10 years ago. No change.

MT 7
FIU 6

Rick always struggles in season openers vs 1A teams

And FIU had to miss an extra point and a bunch of FG's just for that win. FIU totally outplayed us that day.

Any HC hire is a roll of the dice...and I'm not against hiring a coordinator to be a HC. Should Stock every leave (on good terms or bad), I have a list of guys that I think COULD be good fits at MT.

Shafer couldn't win at Syracuse with more resources, stop the madness with this safer stuff.

Rick was hired at a time when stability was at least as important as performance. Andy Mac wasn't getting it done on the field at a time when the SBC was barely an FBS conference, plus the APR was a disaster, and I seem to remember some off the field stuff piling up as well.

Stockstill's steady hand was the guy to right the ship. But there's a difference between saving a sinking ship and actually moving it forward.

I think a young successful 1AA coach could be successful. The key is no more lifetime contracts, like the one we gave to Stock. If they suck we need to be able to fire them quickly. Their contract needs to be incentive based with more money not automatic contract extensions.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Andy Mac got us out of the gate and was a great face of the program. However, he proceeded to make mistakes and was dismissed.

Stock came in, stabalized the program and took us to heights never before seen. However, next year will be the ten year anniversary of the NO Bowl team.

Now, it is to me to bring in someone who can move the program another step forward just like Stock did in 2006.

Reactions: Hop45
I think Stock is tired. You can see it on his face everytime he speaks now. He's tired and gives the same answer to every question. I think he really considers retiring after this year. I really do. He's worn out. He hasn't been with his family all that much as a HC and it's a long grind that is taking it's toll on him. He has money saved and can do whatever he wants.

I think we get a new HC sooner than folks are thinking.

I think Stock is tired. You can see it on his face everytime he speaks now. He's tired and gives the same answer to every question. I think he really considers retiring after this year. I really do. He's worn out. He hasn't been with his family all that much as a HC and it's a long grind that is taking it's toll on him. He has money saved and can do whatever he wants.

I think we get a new HC sooner than folks are thinking.

I hope you are right. Stockstill is a good man, apparently very good to work for, and by the evidence in Brent, a good father. It's just not working here as it needs to and he and the university need to move on in different directions.

There is a reason Stock was a long-time assistant who hadn't sniffed at a HC job until he came to the Boro.
Seemingly a high-character guy but obviously without the skill-set needed for a head coach.
Stock was not very successful as an OC. He was demoted at Clemson and then in 2003 was run out of town with John Thompson at East Carolina after only one season as OC. He never forgot that experience and it played a big part in him turning them down for their HC opening after Memphis made a run at him too in 2009. That was 15 years ago. When Massaro hired him he was back to a position coach again at South Carolina.

Blue Raider Football ain’t gonna improve if we continue down this road. The truth hurts.

Stock was not very successful as an OC. He was demoted at Clemson and then in 2003 was run out of town with John Thompson at East Carolina after only one season as OC. He never forgot that experience and it played a big part in him turning them down for their HC opening after Memphis made a run at him too in 2009. That was 15 years ago. When Massaro hired him he was back to a position coach again at South Carolina.

Blue Raider Football ain’t gonna improve if we continue down this road. The truth hurts.

I agree with this.

Never hire a position coach as a HC. We should only consider HCs and current, successful FBS coordinators. Someone like Joe Craddock is an obvious candidate.

So expect Massaro to pluck a South Carolina graduate assistant he has a feeling about when CRS retires.

No love for Walt Bell???

Not sure he'd come. He knows he has a very bright future. FSU OC position is more desirable than MT head coach. Maybe if we offered him a million dollars, but I'd rather get someone around 500-600k and make them earn their pay raises based on merit.

I've always been of the opinion that the head coach is one of the least important coaches on staff in terms of week-to-week preparations, but you've gotta hire the right one.

Good head coaches for schools like MT are those who have great connections and can continue to bring in good assistants despite them getting poached. Head coaches are not typically very involved with game planning and week-to-week coaching which is where games are won and lost. Hiring the right assistants and hiring the right coordinators is what makes or breaks a program.

From an X's and O's standpoint, generally speaking, our staff is OK (except when facing Vanderbilt). Where we've had some serious issues lately is recruiting. Our recruiting just hasn't been very good. Yes we have signed some very good players at certain positions, but we've totally failed at others. We've got FCS talent on our OL and at WR right now and it's going to end up costing us a chance at a championship when we've got great talent at QB and on defense. Very unfortunate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT