ADVERTISEMENT

The bigger picture with Buster leaving.....

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
Buster leaving after 5 years in what's at best a lateral move is troubling me. Though I'm not unhappy with his departure, the trend of OC departure's since Stockstill arrived has been a reoccurring theme. Tony Franklin, G.A. Mangus, and Buster Faulkner all left for more or less a lateral job (Franklin was a slight step up going to L.A. Tech, but remember we had just won 10 games and had Dasher coming back, so it was a very surprising move at the time all things considered).

A comment made by Buster in his recent interview with an Arkansas State paper really triggered me to write this post and talk about this concern...

"
Q. How do you feel about being a coordinator when the head coach's background is on the same side of the ball as you? (This was in regard to his new boss Blake Anderson being a long-time offensive coordinator)

A. [Middle Tennessee Coach Rick Stockstill] was an offensive-minded guy and he was around a lot. "

"He was around a lot" aka he was meddling in Buster's game plans. After five years on the job you would think Buster wouldn't need (or want) to be micromanaged? We all know Tony Franklin and Stock didn't get along and I'd say it's pretty likely due to the fact that Stock wanted to meddle with his play calling and game plans and Tony Franklin obviously didn't need or want any of his help. Maybe if he had stayed out of Franklin's business and let him do his job (that he was so very good at) he would have stayed longer....

I find these things very troubling because we all know Stockstill (who earned the name Stuckstill while OC at ECU) doesn't have the mind of a Tom Herman or Jimbo Fisher. At this point, I have no doubt that he has a reputation amongst the coaching circles for being a micro-manager and meddling in offensive game plans. Hell, I've heard two former coaches explicitly say that "He's very difficult to work for" (They're coincidentally no longer here either....Watts & Danny Lewis). These things are going to make it difficult, in my opinion, to make a home-run hire.

And even if we were to make a home-run hire, who's to say he wouldn't be meddling with the new OC too?

Please, stop with the micro-managing Rick.

We are all just speculating, but the bottom line is the next few years will tell us all we need to know about the Stockstill era. He has the chance with our young nucleus to grow our program. This is a very important hire.

Reactions: TeKEraider
I put this in another thread but I think it's fitting to put here as well.

Buster called the plays. All of em.
Buster put together the game plan each week. Every week.
It was on Buster to make adjustments in game. Every game.

Stockstill sat in on every meeting. All of em.
Stockstill signed off on every game plan. Every week.

What HC doesn't have input? You think Saban doesn't have input with Kiffin? Please. That's a normal thing.

Stock didn't drive Buster away. The man was here for 5 years. It was time and I'm excited for the future. If we get these 2 WR's that are slated to sign, we will be absolutely loaded on O.

If we can teach them how to hold onto the ball and punch it in from the 1, we will be dominant on offense.

Most on this board were upset with Faulkner before this past season started. Quite frankly I am lukewarm on this. Any OC is going to look great with what we have coming back. The focus should be on the moves Stock makes on the defensive side of the ball. I am not happy with our cornerback play and have not been happy for years. I am not happy with what happened at the wku game. I cannot get over what I saw. Defense wins championships. The pressure is on defense. Big time pressure!

What HC doesn't have input? You think Saban doesn't have input with Kiffin? Please. That's a normal thing.

I'd bet a million dollars he isnt sitting in every meeting and signing off on every game plan. Saban might be talking with Kiffin about who is gonna start at QB and giving him pointers as to where he thinks the coming weeks defense is weak, but no, I don't think he is very involved on the offensive side of the ball.

You guys might be willing to give a free pass here for whatever reasons but I'm not because of the history at the OC position.

Last edited:
I'd bet a million dollars you are wrong. Have you seen Saban and Kiffin on the sideline? Saban is very present. Holy crap. Stock never talks to Buster like that during the game. Saban is involved in everything. You have to be.

Buster stayed longer than anyone we've had in our FBS history. This isn't a case where he was ran off. Besides, I think he's underperformed considering what he had this year.

Franklin was a talented loon and the guy after him was horrible.

G.A. left for an SEC team and a pay raise. His play calls weren't that awesome but their was a talent issue too. Him coming back wouldn't be a bad thing. He does need a gig.

I would say 5 years for an OC at any school is remarkable. In the end Buster might have thought he was just ready to move on. Not exactly shocking to me, nor that big of a deal. I wasn't overly impressed by his play calling. I could call out many of his plays just watching the game. With that said, I do think we have the opportunity to bring in someone really good that can have success and bolt within 1-2 years for something bigger. I would think this would be a great opportunity for someone given the roster they have to work with.

Who hasn't worked at their current job for 5 years and said - ehhhh, maybe it's time for a change? I don't think this is really much different. The only odd thing is it's the coach's son you are now coaching, so Stock's nose might be in things a little more than usual.

Regardless - who replaces him?

Every time I heard Buster, I couldn't help but think of Arrested Development. I hope we can get a good one. What does an offensive coordinator go for anyway?

giphy.gif

Reactions: C-Bow
I think we will spend between 200 and 275. For reference I think ASU is paying buster 225 and we were paying him around 190. Casey may have more accurate numbers.

I think we will spend between 200 and 275. For reference I think ASU is paying buster 225 and we were paying him around 190. Casey may have more accurate numbers.

Buster's maxout deal this year with incentives and bonuses topped off at $205K I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT