ADVERTISEMENT

Just Remember

I drove down to Troy in 09 too. Met some friends that were vacationing at the gulf during fall break. I was cussing the entire drive home.

I drove down to Troy in 09 too. Met some friends that were vacationing at the gulf during fall break. I was cussing the entire drive home.
We stated overnight, turned out to be in a motel right next to Chip, Adam Sparks and Greg Pogue. And they were all pretty flustered as well.

Part of the issue is that looking from the outside, we are good. We are consistently picked to be the top half of the conference. People look at Stock being here 18yrs as good. Having a +.500 record as good. We aren't UTEP or UMass.

I don't see it that way, but that is why there is no major pressure from the outside media. They don't expect more than our admin does.

Not once has there been any pressure on Stock to perform from the general public (ie media) or the admin. Coasting in my book.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
This is tail wagging the dog stuff. You don't grow a program by building facilities and hoping it all works out. Good coaches implement a culture for winning. It is then incumbent upon the administration to hire in a way that fosters and maintains that winning culture when the previous coach moves on and as the program grows you consistently begin to build into that mindset and that culture with facility enhancements to reward said success. And to facilitate a growing program.

Facilities don't come before the program's progress. Facilities improve as a result of the program's progress. That is the only way. There is no other way, because the resources don't exist otherwise if people aren't coming, aren't buying hotdogs, and aren't giving philanthropically to what's transpiring. That's what every single person involved in this program has failed to recognize and implement. If CRS wanted to win at a level to bring about enhancements, he wouldn't hire and retain buddies who fail to perform at an effective level at their jobs. And we wouldn't have an administration that offers $1M bonus every year for reaching six wins.

And somewhere in the process there would be some accountability. I've never seen anything like this.
All great points.

I actually looked at peer programs and new facilities and ALMOST every one built new facilities after success OR built new facilites in the jump from FCS to FBS

McPhee hamstrung the AD by his unwillingness to strategically invest in athletics. And that made life extremely difficult for Stock…especially in recruiting. MT’s on campus facilities (FB) were dated. They don’t have the space to expand staff to have the off-field staffers that peer schools have.

These aren’t unreasonable expectations, but McPhee’s decisions have affected football.

That said, Stock has had 18 seasons to win a championship. He hasn’t. He’s had several seasons to fix obvious issues (OL, S&C, etc). He hasn’t.

ALL that said, Stock has been HC here long enough. I don’t think the SAPC is suddenly going to turn a 6-6 Stock to a 9-3 HC. He is who he is. As a leader, Stock doesn’t have the leadership quotient to make the jump to a 9-3 coach every 2-3 years.

We're not even good. Aside from 2018 when was the last time we weren't already eliminated from our own weak conference's championship in early or mid Oct? 2018 was the last time. And 2012? That's about it. We can't beat our rival. We can't compete for conference titles. Our only wins come against bad teams. And it's been consistently the same for 18 years.
When was the last game where you felt like our staff out coached the opposition? I can’t think of even one game in the last 15 years.

When was the last game where you felt like our staff out coached the opposition? I can’t think of even one game in the last 15 years.
In 09, we out coached 10 teams. In 2012, we outcoached GT. There were games where we did but not lthis year. Last year, we outcoached FAU.

Reactions: ewglenn
I think option 1 grows a fan base. Option two decimates it. One thing I fear is the absolute annihilation of young new fans to the program.

It’s already happening.

I think option 1 grows a fan base. Option two decimates it. One thing I fear is the absolute annihilation of young new fans to the program.

It’s already happening.
Decimating the fan base could be the plan, given the sustained mediocrity.

• Angry
Reactions: RaiderDeez
Sure feels intentional.
If this is true and could be proven, I would sue this place so hard. That would be fraud. Not in the figurative sense of fraud, but in the literal. Illicit, illegal activity designed to fleece its constituents.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
If this is true and could be proven, I would sue this place so hard. That would be fraud. Not in the figurative sense of fraud, but in the literal. Illicit, illegal activity designed to fleece its constituents.

I don't think it's intentional, as much as they don't feel the potential return is worth the effort and risk.

They could go all out, run this AD like a normal college AD - have demands, and expectations. They could strive to win at the highest level. But that also comes with risk - people will lose jobs. People will fail, people will have to be uncomfortable. It takes work and effort.

Much easier just to go along, just coast. You'll never win AD of the year, or coach of the year, but the paychecks will keep coming in. You'll get the minimum return from having a football team, but there's really no risk to your job, or any real effort you have to put in - hey, you haven't had to conduct a coaching search in 20 years - plenty of golf in the offseason.

Facilities bare minimum? Eh, no one will notice. Coach certainly isn't demanding any more. And you don't have to spend time to meet with those pesky fundraiser types and do any sort of approval or planning.

If you don't care, then you never have to worry about a thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueAlpha
Doug. I agree. I don't think it is either, but you would almost have to be trying to be this inept, incompetent, and/or slothful at running a Univ, athletics, etc. It's otherwise just sad.

Reactions: Hop45
All three guys, Stockstill, Massaro, and McPhee have been coasting since MT got admitted to CUSA. It's been quite evident since that time, and perhaps even before. Coasting or not being pro-active to the extent needed at a middle of the road G5 school. They all are too far comfortable getting by, getting paid, and maximizing their state pensions. That's not 'Leadership' and this university needs leaders intent on success and changing this 'hey we compete' nonsense to a playing for chsmpionships or else mentality. It's not just football, a whole host of other sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT