ADVERTISEMENT

Just Remember

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
I turned it off a while ago because I already knew what was going to happen.

But just remember that this University rewards this. So long as Rick gets to six wins he’s gets a one million dollar bonus.

As said earlier everywhere else this coach wouldn’t have an office tomorrow losing a decades worth of games to your biggest rival and peer. At MT we reward this with millions of dollars.

This is why I quit giving and why I quit going. Y’all have a good rest of the season.

I turned it off a while ago because I already knew what was going to happen.

But just remember that this University rewards this. So long as Rick gets to six wins he’s gets a one million dollar bonus.

As said earlier everywhere else this coach wouldn’t have an office tomorrow losing a decades worth of games to your biggest rival and peer. At MT we reward this with millions of dollars.

This is why I quit giving and why I quit going. Y’all have a good rest of the season.

I quit giving and going over a decade ago. It hasn't mattered.

There are still a bunch of moronic fools who still support this administration and donate and go to games. As far as I'm concerned, they're a part of the problem at this point. They are enablers. They might as well be sitting in McPhee's and Massaro's offices rubberstamping all of their work.

If you are one of those people who continue to donate to the BRAA, who continue to buy season tickets, who continue to write them checks, who continue to go to games....you are a part of the problem. You are an enabler. You are voting, quite literally, with your money and your feet and you are telling these administrators and coaches that these results are acceptable.

There's never going to be significant change if people continue to support this dumpster fire.

I spent my last money on MT football. No more season tickets. Forty four years of buying season tickets, and it's down to this. Not setting foot in Floyd Stadium again until something is done to end this sh*t show that is stockstill football.

I gave up season Tix and BRAA a few years ago. Just bought 2 for 1 Tix for weeknight home games next 2 weeks. Seriously regretting that decision after watching the awful display tonight.

I could be offered tickets for free For the rest of my life and I would not take even one. It's MBB and WBB only here on out.

We need to get a fund going that we can all donate to instead of giving to MT. For example, instead of buying $80 worth of tickets or donating $500 to the BRAA, you give it to this fund.

This fund is then saved up until Stockstill is fired. Once Stockstill is fired, then we give the money to the BRAA. Think of it as a positive pressure to try and force his firing/retirement.

It might sound silly but it could grow to a big number if people put their money there instead of buying tickets and BRAA donations.

I would be willing to set this up on a website if others are interested.

Unless he turns things around with a champ win, I'm done till he is gone. I renewed this year mainly due to Lee and Build Blue. I guarantee I'll get a call as I'm the only BRAA member in WV.

Well unless things change, there won't be any.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Unless he turns things around with a champ win, I'm done till he is gone. I renewed this year mainly due to Lee and Build Blue. I guarantee I'll get a call as I'm the only BRAA member in WV.

Well unless things change, there won't be any.

Please stop giving them money until Stockstill is fired.

Would you be interested in donating to a fund instead where the money is held until Stockstill is gone ? Then all funds are given to athletic department.

If the fund grew large enough it might put a little pressure on the university to do something so they can get the $$$$

They need to add a part 1B to Build back Blue or whatever it is. 1B would be a contract buyout and a refund of any money from Stockstill. That would be the best use of money possible.

Please stop giving them money until Stockstill is fired.

Would you be interested in donating to a fund instead where the money is held until Stockstill is gone ? Then all funds are given to athletic department.

If the fund grew large enough it might put a little pressure on the university to do something so they can get the $$$$
Oh, I'm not. If Stock is still here next spring when renewals happen, I won't renew.

I'm fine with a fund. The only issue for some may be the tax breaks for donations. I personally am only TrueBlue level so my small amount doesn't really affect anything. I also donate now and then to BuildBlue but I'm done with that too if those facilities are being built for a Stockstill led team.

Last edited:
Reactions: ewglenn
We shouldn't be too concerned with large crowds at Floyd Stadium going forward this year. The 1st game is always the highest attended because people miss getting out. However after the recent beat downs coach Stock has assured the university there will only be minimal crowd support the rest of the way. Well under 10k in the stands each remaining game & certainly less $ investment now. All thanks to coach Stock & company.
For those worried about $ investments to the football department, well there's always that pesky Lee De Leon to worry about.

As a grown man, I don't get bent out of shape after a single loss anymore like I did in my youth. Not even to western. But this isn't just a single game. We had a decade head start on western at I-A. Yet, just 15 years later from western's move up, they have better players, better coaches, and a better a program. Let me say that again even though it's hard to admit. They have a better program. And they're a flippin basketball school. That right there is all the evidence that is needed that this administration has failed, epically. How this university and its cronies operates unimpugned without any accountability cracks my cortex.

While a single game isn't going to make or break my year or even my day, I truly want what's best for the alma mater that I invested in, spent so much time at, and actually worked for. What's happening now and has been happening for a long time is not good for the University and certainly not what's best. We're usually already out of the conference race by early to mid-October and this year it's probably already happened in Sept.

Something needs to change and nothing we do as an alumni base seems to matter or make a difference. How do we have so little influence that when we stop giving and there are only 1500 people at a football game still isn't enough to change the direction, mindset, and culture? What's happening here makes me sick to my stomach. Not because we lost one game. It's so much bigger than that. I've never seen anything or heard of anything like this happening anywhere else. What a travesty it is to see what's happening here. And unfortunately it's only get worse from here. Well, 1,763 days and counting for me. With no end in sight. It's truly sad where this U is right now.

Where we stood at the end of Sept was going to tell me how I would spend the rest of my fall. I think I have a resounding answer. No ambiguity in this equation this year. Take care everyone.

It is just par for the course, but I agree. I don't care if we go 1-11 (well I do, but...) but that 1 win better be western. It is unacceptable losing to them.

This also irritates me and makes me mad... Western is having a free pre-game concert before their next game. with Jordan Davis. No, he's not taylor swift, but this is what gets people to games/campus. Look at NSC, TItans, Preds. Murfreesboro is outside of Music City USA, use it to our advantage. The gameday atmosphere has gotten better, but its not those other teams, professional or not. Figure out what people want and use it to your advantage.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
It is just par for the course, but I agree. I don't care if we go 1-11 (well I do, but...) but that 1 win better be western. It is unacceptable losing to them.

This also irritates me and makes me mad... Western is having a free pre-game concert before their next game. with Jordan Davis. No, he's not taylor swift, but this is what gets people to games/campus. Look at NSC, TItans, Preds. Murfreesboro is outside of Music City USA, use it to our advantage. The gameday atmosphere has gotten better, but its not those other teams, professional or not. Figure out what people want and use it to your advantage.

Agree. And he went to LSU.

Heck. Chris Young and Mitchell Tenpenny went here and graduated from here! Along with HunterGirl! I mean come on.

Agree. And he went to LSU.

Heck. Chris Young and Mitchell Tenpenny went here and graduated from here! Along with HunterGirl! I mean come on.
Don’t forget Russell Dickerson and Hillary Scott from Lady A. We could have a concert every week with our alumni pool.

Doesn't mean we can't work with them and find people.
I think once Massaro retires, Lee and Hans Will dramatically improve things like this. They already are the best they can.

Our limitations are M&M and finances. Finances improve once CRS is fired/leaves. A new HC should bring energy and donations. Heaven forbid he beats WKU. Then get rid of Massaro and Seven wood, and we already have the people to generate more revenue and improve the fan experience, on the field and off.

We are just waiting out the 3-headed albatross around the program’s neck.

I think once Massaro retires, Lee and Hans Will dramatically improve things like this. They already are the best they can.

Our limitations are M&M and finances. Finances improve once CRS is fired/leaves. A new HC should bring energy and donations. Heaven forbid he beats WKU. Then get rid of Massaro and Seven wood, and we already have the people to generate more revenue and improve the fan experience, on the field and off.

We are just waiting out the 3-headed albatross around the program’s neck.
Agreed. Feel like we are Rose on the Titanic. It sank and we are on the door waiting to be rescued.

Reactions: Brew_Raider
I posted that question and everyone who responded said A. They would sacrifice and allow a few losing seasons and less bowls just to win a few champs and be ranked.

But what led me to that question was a discussion @ewglenn and I were having with Jeff Murphy on Twitter. We all can discuss how we sometimes feel about him but that isn't the point right now. He made me think about something.

He equated Stock's situation to owning a business, say a store, and renting a building. The store does ok but to get more customers you need internet to take credit cards and build an online presence. But the landlord won't put it in. So your hands are tied on growing the business. A simple analogy that in real life can be solved wirelessly etc but his point was made.

He feels Stock is limited in the talent he can get due to the administration's lack of support for years regarding facilities, marketing, now NIL, etc. That if Stock had those things he would succeed as he feels Stock wants to win.

Now he's been to other schools playing and for Go5G to see their facilities. I admit I haven't. I can't compare locker rooms or weight rooms. I'm sure it does hamper things a bit. But, big but, I also feel Stock limits himself. He may be super personable and talkative around players but the general public doesn't see that. We see someone who looks miserable in public and would prefer to never talk to anyone. Someone who doesn't perform community engagement very well.

I really believe if we had a coach who had the personality of Lee, who never meets a deranged, screams at presser, laughs and jumps and is always out in the community, we would have bigger support. Bigger support means more in stands. More in stands helps recruit, regardless of facilities. And you see where this is going.

I just don't see that Stock is hogtied so much that he has become a symptom of the admin's issues rather than a cause. I feel that if we had a coach like the above, then over the years the admin would have invested more and had the support and $ to do so. Stock may have a true desire to win. And we all know all players love him. He runs a clean program. But a school like ours, G5 in SEC territory, needs more than that. And I honestly don't understand how everyone can't see that.

For another analogy, if I ran a store and had a manager. He was amazing with employees, loved, store was always immaculate, stocked, perfect. But customers hated the manager and felt he had no personality and didn't want to be there to help them at all. As a business owner, I'd never grow my business with that manager.

Good points.
If I had a business where I was being limited by my landlord, such as your first analogy, I would simply find another place for my business so I could use my skills and increase my business.
Another thing is Stocks business is not suffering because he's making a million a year for life.

Result "B" is only acceptable in the world of NCAA Division III if the university wasn't giving out scholarships. If we had student athletes and coaches who loved the "purity of the game" and competed well with all levels of NCAA athletics, then just maybe resume "B" might be okay. For everything else, resume "A" has to be the answer. Doctor James E. Walker said it best when he said (to closely paraphrase) intercollegiate athletics is the front porch of the university. A whole generation of MT students have seen our university "compete" (to use one of Coach Stocksill's favorite words) but have very little to show for it and that has created the apathy and lackluster culture we have today. Thus, Body of work is important. Perception is important. Community engagement is important. Stability has value but must be carefully weighed by performance and long-term institutional goals; obviously we've seen its liabilities. And, of course money is the lubricating oil that keeps the engine running and that precious resource is drying up as years go by. At some point everything wears out or rots away, that's just how life works. Choice "A" resume is about maximizing resources, expertise, facilities, and promoting excitement. Deion "Prime" recognizes that 100% plus! If we had someone with half of the energy, charisma, and skill sets our football team (and probably other sports) would bringing home more hardware year after year.

I posted that question and everyone who responded said A. They would sacrifice and allow a few losing seasons and less bowls just to win a few champs and be ranked.

But what led me to that question was a discussion @ewglenn and I were having with Jeff Murphy on Twitter. We all can discuss how we sometimes feel about him but that isn't the point right now. He made me think about something.

He equated Stock's situation to owning a business, say a store, and renting a building. The store does ok but to get more customers you need internet to take credit cards and build an online presence. But the landlord won't put it in. So your hands are tied on growing the business. A simple analogy that in real life can be solved wirelessly etc but his point was made.

He feels Stock is limited in the talent he can get due to the administration's lack of support for years regarding facilities, marketing, now NIL, etc. That if Stock had those things he would succeed as he feels Stock wants to win.

Now he's been to other schools playing and for Go5G to see their facilities. I admit I haven't. I can't compare locker rooms or weight rooms. I'm sure it does hamper things a bit. But, big but, I also feel Stock limits himself. He may be super personable and talkative around players but the general public doesn't see that. We see someone who looks miserable in public and would prefer to never talk to anyone. Someone who doesn't perform community engagement very well.

I really believe if we had a coach who had the personality of Lee, who never meets a deranged, screams at presser, laughs and jumps and is always out in the community, we would have bigger support. Bigger support means more in stands. More in stands helps recruit, regardless of facilities. And you see where this is going.

I just don't see that Stock is hogtied so much that he has become a symptom of the admin's issues rather than a cause. I feel that if we had a coach like the above, then over the years the admin would have invested more and had the support and $ to do so. Stock may have a true desire to win. And we all know all players love him. He runs a clean program. But a school like ours, G5 in SEC territory, needs more than that. And I honestly don't understand how everyone can't see that.

For another analogy, if I ran a store and had a manager. He was amazing with employees, loved, store was always immaculate, stocked, perfect. But customers hated the manager and felt he had no personality and didn't want to be there to help them at all. As a business owner, I'd never grow my business with that manager.

That's a deflection and excuse.

Regardless of our systemic issues that exist in 2023, they did not exist in 2008-12, Stock's first years. This program was near the top of our conference in attendance, budget and many other factors.

If other programs are ahead of us, it's because they passed us, primarily due to the fact that we have driven away our fans and traditional funding sources with poor performance.

Stock did not deliver on his promise when he was supported and given the keys to the top program in the conference. What makes anyone think he will flip a switch and all of a sudden become an excellent coach as soon as a new weight room is finished?

I'm also calling BS, because Stock keeps signing the contracts. If you worked anywhere and you were consistenly hamstrung (especially in a competitive situation), how long would you stick around? He's not holding the Admin hostage for the things he needs to succeed, he's not been flirting with other programs (they don't even want him - they know he's a poor coach).

Your twitter apologists are full of shit.

Option A easy. This isn't even a question outside of our delusional department.

If you try and lose, no one cares. No one even remembers. The trip to the mountaintop makes the dips tolerable. Heck, even exciting (everyone loves drafting high in the pros, everyone loves a new coach bump in college)

But if you never win? If you barely even try? That's unforgivable.

Jeff’s argument is a logical fallacy. I think he would benefit going back to take Dr. Magada-Ward’s elementary logic and critical thinking class.

Resources had nothing to do with the 2006 Troy choke, 12 men on the field vs UAB, or the embarrassments against Arkansas St, Troy and UNT in 2009, 2012 and 2013.

Resources have nothing to do with Mallory being our OL coach for so long.

Resources have nothing to do with CRS’s inability to prepare a team for the first game of the year, every year.

There’s more evidence RS would be like Jimbo at A&M with resources than a championship coach.

But homers are blind.

I’m sorry but that’s such bullshit. It’s escapism and redirection of failure at its finest.

Stockstill lacks talent because a) he employs coaches who should already be retired who either don’t recruit at all or if they do recruit the effort to actually put the type of really hard work in to recruit isn’t there; and b) these same coaches for the same reasons aren’t developing the players they do have. How many kids have we seen truly develop from the time they go here until the time they left. Moreover, compare that to how many players whose abilities regressed during their time here or basically just flatlined! Please do so and get back to me. I’m convinced that for every Reed Blankenship that the only reason they went from a two star to the NFL was because of their own personal intestinal fortitude to be great and had very little to do with the development and coaching they got here.

Just think about Reed - how many times he over ran a play and had a bad angle missing a tackle. You don’t see him do that anymore in the league. He didn’t get the type of coaching to truly make him an elite talent until he got to the NFL.

Murphy is an apologist and wants to place the blame at the hands of someone else. But. The truth is they’re all to blame. The president, AD, and coach for allowing everything from low goals to nepotism.

Jeff’s argument is a logical fallacy. I think he would benefit going back to take Dr. Magada-Ward’s elementary logic and critical thinking class.

Resources had nothing to do with the 2006 Troy choke, 12 men on the field vs UAB, or the embarrassments against Arkansas St, Troy and UNT in 2009, 2012 and 2013.

Resources have nothing to do with Mallory being our OL coach for so long.

Resources have nothing to do with CRS’s inability to prepare a team for the first game of the year, every year.

There’s more evidence RS would be like Jimbo at A&M with resources than a championship coach.

But homers are blind.
Well said. I should’ve read this before I posted mine and just let this ride. Perfect.

Here is the discussion, when he told me the internet thing I stopped responding. I run a business and fully understand that it’s my job to ensure we’re successful. Revenue is directly tied to me even though I’m not the sales reps. Rick runs the business. Sure he has a boss but if he wanted better WIFI that should be blasted for everyone to hear and he should be a major component of driving the donations. Looking dead in a press conference and hanging out with players isn’t going to get it done. I like Rick and have personally talked with him a few times. He is great for an admin role that isn’t related to revenue. Student athlete development would be perfect for him.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer

As much as I believe it's time for Stock to retire and enjoy Florida, there is some truth to Jeff Murphy's argument. The MT administration (not athletic) didn't realize the importance of facilities until it was too late (just read McPhee's comments after the last round of realignment).

And, having worked at another CUSA school in their football office, MT's facilities are BEHIND. WAY behind. BuildBlueNow will change that.

And facilities have kept MT from hiring more staff which in turns hurts recruiting (just compare WKU / Liberty's off-field staff to MT's. It's night and day. New facility will help there.

BUT...

Stock has had several years to address obvious staffing issues (S&C, OL, etc) and hasn't. Stockstill deserves blame for failing to fix these issues.

As much as I believe it's time for Stock to retire and enjoy Florida, there is some truth to Jeff Murphy's argument. The MT administration (not athletic) didn't realize the importance of facilities until it was too late (just read McPhee's comments after the last round of realignment).

And, having worked at another CUSA school in their football office, MT's facilities are BEHIND. WAY behind. BuildBlueNow will change that.

And facilities have kept MT from hiring more staff which in turns hurts recruiting (just compare WKU / Liberty's off-field staff to MT's. It's night and day. New facility will help there.

BUT...

Stock has had several years to address obvious staffing issues (S&C, OL, etc) and hasn't. Stockstill deserves blame for failing to fix these issues.
I think our current situation goes back to 2011. Stock was 35-40 as a coach after 6 years and was coming off 2-10. Most FBS schools would have fired him.

M&M did not capitalize on 2009. They didn’t fire CRS like most schools would have or give him additional support. CRS didn’t make good hires out of 2011. M&M didn’t rework CRS’s contract beyond what we had initially trying to recover from Andy Mac & the low APR, which most schools would have. We hit 8-4, which is our new high water mark in CUSA and we are stuck in perpetual mediocrity.

That’s where the failure was. If we wanted to keep up with our peers, we should have made moves then. With the terrible contract, the complacency that a .500 coach brings over 18 years, but particularly over the last 12 & CRS’s lack of pride & awareness, we are where we are.

A lot of coaches step down after 2019 or 2020 given the circumstances, but not Stock.

Most ADs fire the coach after 2011 & 100% after 2019/2020, but not ours. Most AD’s don’t set up a contract we can’t handle.

So to Jeff’s point, yes our facilities are behind. We missed the window over 10 years ago & it won’t get better with CRS here. He stayed too long without results and now we are stuck until he walks away. My god how I wish he would be like Spurrier and step down. But in reality, CRS has accepted the best he will do is 8 wins and then he gets rich. So just like Massaro, Stock may want to win. But they are not driven or committed to winning.

100% on all. I certainly don't see it the way Jeff, or other Twitter folk, does at all. We all know there are issues beyond Stock. But it all very simply, to use retail analogy again, comes down to this.

Could we do worse, absolutely. But could we do better, absolutely.

Just because you are good but could do worse and be bad, doesn't mean you shouldn't try for great.

We're not even good. Aside from 2018 when was the last time we weren't already eliminated from our own weak conference's championship in early or mid Oct? 2018 was the last time. And 2012? That's about it. We can't beat our rival. We can't compete for conference titles. Our only wins come against bad teams. And it's been consistently the same for 18 years.

Last edited:

BUT...

This is tail wagging the dog stuff. You don't grow a program by building facilities and hoping it all works out. Good coaches implement a culture for winning. It is then incumbent upon the administration to hire in a way that fosters and maintains that winning culture when the previous coach moves on and as the program grows you consistently begin to build into that mindset and that culture with facility enhancements to reward said success. And to facilitate a growing program.

Facilities don't come before the program's progress. Facilities improve as a result of the program's progress. That is the only way. There is no other way, because the resources don't exist otherwise if people aren't coming, aren't buying hotdogs, and aren't giving philanthropically to what's transpiring. That's what every single person involved in this program has failed to recognize and implement. If CRS wanted to win at a level to bring about enhancements, he wouldn't hire and retain buddies who fail to perform at an effective level at their jobs. And we wouldn't have an administration that offers $1M bonus every year for reaching six wins.

And somewhere in the process there would be some accountability. I've never seen anything like this.

Last edited:
We're not even good. Aside from 2018 when was the last time we weren't already eliminated from our own weak conference's championship? 2018 was the last time. And 2012? That's about it. We can't beat our rival. We can't compete for conference titles. Our only wins come against bad teams. And it's been consistently the same for 18 years.
Yes. This.

A lot of us consider 2009 to be our best season in program history, for obvious reasons, and I tend to agree. But we were basically eliminated from title contention on 10/6 that season in a BEATDOWN in Troy, that for some stupid reason one of my boys and me decided to make that trek to on a weeknight game 🙄

We only got the NOB invite because a) we hadn’t been before, and b) ESPN gave Troy the opportunity to play the MAC champ CMU in Mobile in early Jan.

But last week of the season, actual championship contender seasons were 2006, 2012 and 2018. And we blew each one of those. And that’s only 3 out of 18 seasons. Which to me is unforgivable and program-killing.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
I can’t stand excuses from well paid men.

If you don’t have what you need then be a c level exec and make it happen. You make enough money to be influential.

Go5 - no way I could take that crew serious.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT