ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Stuckstill chest thumping media tour screeches to a halt

amber heard GIF

Glad he ran his mouth like that and then came out and laid an egg. Showing the rest of the country what we all know about Stockstill as a coach. Occasional flashes of possibility and then a total reversal and collapse. But hey at least the infrequent exciting win makes it a little entertaining

The problem with the chest thumping is it’s never, and I mean NEVER, backed up by anything when it actually matters for the program. When the chips are down, Stocks teams fold. It’s why there are no outright conference championship banners. It’s why there are no conference title game banners. It’s why the stands get covered up.

I had people I know who have been so disinterested in Blue Raider athletics telling me this week that last night was one of those pivotal moments for the program. They were into it. I didn’t have the heart to tell em.

It’s a tale as old as time.

I liked the swagger. If he's lifeless, we dog him. If he's chest thumping, we dog him. I prefer a coach who has some life while promoting the team. I didn't have an issue with it. UTSA is one of the best G5 teams out there. We weren't humbled, we just lost to a better team.

Who cares? He is who he is. He’s a nice guy- great. A four point underdog. Not another 20 pointer. Win a game. Go out and beat the conf favorite and win the conference. Same story 15-16 years…nobody cares about his “excuses.”

I like how the only people who defends him are players. Never seen a fan who actually carries water for him.

Look at the athletic budgets guys.

Football Spending

Who cares? He is who he is. He’s a nice guy- great. A four point underdog. Not another 20 pointer. Win a game. Go out and beat the conf favorite and win the conference. Same story 15-16 years…nobody cares about his “excuses.”

I like how the only people who defends him are players. Never seen a fan who actually carries water for him.

Football Spending

So three teams below our spending have won 5 of the last 7 conference championships.

WKU in 15 and 16
UAB 18 and 20
UTSA 21

Geez.

And it's not that we lost. There were major play calling issues, bad penalties etc. But it's that UTSA owns us and didn't even start football till Rick's 6th season. And they've already surpassed us. It's crap like that, that sets me off.
Traylor is 22-9
Stock is 13-14 in the same span.

So three teams below our spending have won 5 of the last 7 conference championships.

WKU in 15 and 16
UAB 18 and 20
UTSA 21

Geez.

And it's not that we lost. There were major play calling issues, bad penalties etc. But it's that UTSA owns us and didn't even start football till Rick's 6th season. And they've already surpassed us. It's crap like that, that sets me off.
Traylor is 22-9
Stock is 13-14 in the same span.
Thank you. This is year 1636373 of this crap not year 2-3. Its like most issues, people that like him won’t change their mind.

But it’s funny that the “BuT ThA FaCiLiTies“ argument can only be used so many times. The budgets are right there.

I attended the first game since 2016 last night.

Campus looks amazing. The folks who put on the gameday stuff are top notch. Family fun zone was great. Beer sales were good. The students turned out well. The band is fantastic. Concessions folks were great, and concessions themselves were fine. The music and atmosphere and everything that goes on in the stadium - not a complaint I could think of.

Right up until kickoff, I thought - I'm really enjoying this. I could totally support this. I even thought about kicking in for a season ticket. Everything outside of the sidelines looks good. We have every ingredient that goes into a top notch G5 program. I want to support this.

Then, they kicked off and I realized why I stayed away.

The whole football team just isn't good. I hate to say it, but we don't have a roster of FBS football players. The ones we do have aren't developed. They looked physically small, slow, weak compared to UTSA's players. It starts with recruiting kids who are just not good enough to play at this level. I hate to bash the players, they seem like good, high effort kids. Good for them for getting a free ride at the FBS level. But they do not look like the guys on the other sideline, not to much anywhere near a higher end FBS team.

I certianly could critique the gameplan, but all plays work when you have superior players. When you have average players, you can coach them to the difference. When you have inferior players, basically, you're relying on the other team essentially beating themselves (hello hungover sleepy Miami).

I said it before, and I broke my promise last night, but I will not be back in Floyd until Stock is no longer there.

Guys if you could help I would appreciate it. Really enjoy reading comments from certain fans. Trying to track latest post game comments from Tanner & company, but haven't seen their inputs yet. Must be looking on wrong page. Appreciate any assistance.

I liked the swagger. If he's lifeless, we dog him. If he's chest thumping, we dog him. I prefer a coach who has some life while promoting the team. I didn't have an issue with it. UTSA is one of the best G5 teams out there. We weren't humbled, we just lost to a better team.
Fans begged Stock to show some life & now he's criticized for showing some life.

But, as Casey pointed out :
The problem with the chest thumping is it’s never, and I mean NEVER, backed up by anything when it actually matters for the program. When the chips are down, Stocks teams fold. It’s why there are no outright conference championship banners. It’s why there are no conference title game banners. It’s why the stands get covered up.

I had people I know who have been so disinterested in Blue Raider athletics telling me this week that last night was one of those pivotal moments for the program. They were into it. I didn’t have the heart to tell em.

It’s a tale as old as time.
MT fans have endured a cycle of hope followed by heartache followed by hopelessness (rinse, repeat) for 15+ years now.

I get the frustration. I get why so many have "tuned out."

Football Spending
I'm more curious WHY football spending decreased for most of C-USA. Budget constraints due to COVID? Budget cuts at the university? More "in-state" recruiting so less money spent on tuition?

IMO, former players deserve a seat at the table, just like fans. Former players have valid opinions & input to the discussion, even if there is disagreement.

Reactions: RaiderDeez

Why do these formers players act like our dwindled hardcore fanbase is angry and projecting at the current players? Do they not want to see their former team win big conference games, rival games, bowl games, and conference championships? Cause lately their former team hasn’t done any of that and never won an FBS conference championship. Matter of fact, like now, MT is behind in the conference race. They are usually behind every season before Oct 1st. They are StockstiLLLLL apologists, that will use that ultra rare P5 win to justify how they are right and the fanbase is wrong for wanting something that UTSA can claim after only 10 years in FBS… a championship AND a top 25 ranking. What has this program done in FBS?

Anyone who thinks the program is okay when getting 15k announced attendance followed by a poor performance after the “biggest win in program history” needs to re-examine things. This includes the former players who keep talking on Twitter. We all want the program, coach, players and all to be successful but this happens every time. I had a good time at the game outside of the result. But it’s a losing battle when you’re hemorrhaging fans

Why do these formers players act like our dwindled hardcore fanbase is angry and projecting at the current players? Do they not want to see their former team win big conference games, rival games, bowl games, and conference championships? Cause lately their former team hasn’t done any of that and never won an FBS conference championship. Matter of fact, like now, MT is behind in the conference race. They are usually behind every season before Oct 1st. They are StockstiLLLLL apologists, that will use that ultra rare P5 win to justify how they are right and the fanbase is wrong for wanting something that UTSA can claim after only 10 years in FBS… a championship AND a top 25 ranking. What has this program done in FBS?

This kind of stuff irritates me to no end. It’s like they are oblivious to reality. Smith was around when people showed up when we actually could produce more than 20K somewhat more consistently.

Ironically enough his senior year is when the crap started. Coming off NOB win we get the mishandling off the Dasher fiasco, open with a rare first game of the season AT HOME against a P5 in Minnesota and lose it- to a terrible Minnesota team - (that didn’t win another game all season until their last two), you lose to an even worse Memphis team whose ONLY win the entire season was against us, get boat raced in the home conference opener against Troy, get boat raced again by Georgia Tech a week later, and then get smoked by Ark St.

That’s how we followed up the 2009 season and every other micro and macro event we’ve experienced since then for over a decade has gone just like that. But Mr. Smith can’t figure out why the community, alumni, etc aren’t going to be fooled yet again?? Really? Mr. Smith, the fan base has been destroyed because we do exactly what we did last night. Every single time - pretty much removing any chance of a conference championship before Columbus Day. These former players have some nerve. Like you said arg you would think they would actually want the program to experience some success more than just a 500ish season with a appearance to the weed wackier bowl.

One thing these guys have forgotten about American football be it high school, college, or pro fans who care. They do 2 things. Fans congratulate you when your winning & fans criticise when your losing. Why should MT be any different than any other program in America?? Bottom line you're right, they shouldn't

It’s funny it’s like Groundhog Day or the Twilight Zone. Same convo every few years. Bottom line is if admin cared something would be done. They don’t.

I simply feel like nobody cares why should we? Stock sure as hell don’t care as long as the gravy train doesn’t stop.

I just don’t get why he is owed so much. Nobody in America has this much leash at this point it’s not a leash it’s a damn bungee cord.

I've thought overnight and re-read some of the past players' tweets etc. Their main thought is that we (being unhappy fans) should be grateful. We have a coach who isn't an overall losing coach (slightly anyway), runs a clean program with great grad rates and APR (I will always give him kudos for that), and is respected in circles and by players. True.

Their mindset is that they would rather have that than a new coach every 4 years, which could result in losing rebuild seasons, a few scandals here and there, etc. That it could be worse.

What that really means is this....and @ldeleon5, you want the pulse of the fanbase, here it is.

They (former players, supporters of Stock etc) are essentially saying MT is only worth a .500 coach. That we aren't worth the risk of someone new. The risk of our coach getting hired away. That it isn't worth a losing season with the new coach to have back to back conf champs after that. We are better off having an ok season every year instead of a few bad to create multiple good.

Bull 💩.

We are 100% worth, AND capable of ALL and more. And until the admin realizes this, those "on the inside" like former players will believe we aren't. If that isn't how they feel, then say it. Criticize construcively, not just rah rah upset fans are wrong. No we just want our school to be great, not just good.

That makes me furious as it does everyone on this board. So there is your pulse Lee. We KNOW MT is capable and then some of being a championship football school. It is time for the admin to realize it too.

I , shoot we, would absolutely rather have a new coach, (with qualities we've all talked about) have a losing season or two, then win a couple Champs, have him hired away and have to do it all over again, than stay .500 like we are now. Make MT THE place for rising coaches to come, succeed, and use the buyout $ to make our facilities beyond top notch.

I'll step off my high horse now.

Guys if you could help I would appreciate it. Really enjoy reading comments from certain fans. Trying to track latest post game comments from Tanner & company, but haven't seen their inputs yet. Must be looking on wrong page. Appreciate any assistance.
Tanner didn’t want to respond this time…

Do these former players think our diplomas say “Rick Stockstill State University” on them? Honestly, I’ve really learned over time that players don’t care about MT as an institution. Transfer portal proves that alone. Who was the NFL starter that would announce his high school instead of MT during primetime broadcasts? Erik Walden?

My point is, that’s who I think we are dealing with when these guys attack the few of us that are left that care and are vocal. They are loyal to Coach 500, and that’s all

I talking with someone about next week's opponent and said they probably MT as their Homecoming opponent. I checked and yep, the Raiders are UAB's homecoming opponent. After that MT comes home for Homecoming against WKU and the Raiders under Stockstill will be battling against going 7 losses for 8 games against the toppers, not sure what Stock's record is in MT homecoming games.

I think most of y’all know my thoughts on Stock as HC so it’s useless to beat a dead horse, revive it, and kill it again.

But there are some things that will affect MT’s ability to attract the next HC (facilities and fan support). Those will need to improve if you want to attract a Kendall Briles and not another Andy MAC

I think most of y’all know my thoughts on Stock as HC so it’s useless to beat a dead horse, revive it, and kill it again.

But there are some things that will affect MT’s ability to attract the next HC (facilities and fan support). Those will need to improve if you want to attract a Kendall Briles and not another Andy MAC

I almost asked this on the Twitter thread.

How soon do you all think facilities improvements will make an impact in recruiting? When will we see it on the field? Will just having ground broken and construction happening help or will the finished product need to exist?

How soon do you all think facilities improvements will make an impact in recruiting? When will we see it on the field? Will just having ground broken and construction happening help or will the finished product need to exist?
I think finished product will be when we start seeing improvement. I’m hoping since these players love Stock that he will be able to improve when the facilities are built. Honestly, we will see if these old players really care about MT when Stock retires. It doesn’t seem like they do. It seems like they are just loyal to their coach (understandable but fans are loyal to the school).

Reactions: MidTennMtneer

4 years if any, all our peers are recruiting portal kids while we are still trying to develop high school kids. it won't work in today's game. So we will have shiny new facilities and the same recruits. There is nothing wrong with the weight room as it sits now

It is very frustrating to see the players say that fans "hope" the team lays an egg a week after a huge win. No, we don't "hope" for that, we know it will happen because that is what ALWAYS happens. Might be a good reason to see a game and just enjoy the atmosphere but it is no secret that .500 Stockstill is going to continue exactly how he has performed for the last 17 years

It is very frustrating to see the players say that fans "hope" the team lays an egg a week after a huge win. No, we don't "hope" for that, we know it will happen because that is what ALWAYS happens. Might be a good reason to see a game and just enjoy the atmosphere but it is no secret that .500 Stockstill is going to continue exactly how he has performed for the last 17 years

Exactly. It's not like we are pulling ideas out of thin air. There kind of is a baseline record here....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT