ADVERTISEMENT

Stock's Win Percentages

JohnDavidBlue

All American
Sep 10, 2005
As much as people like to evaluate 'butts in seats', I'm going to shift attention to 'wins in season'. Since 2006, Stock has a 51% win percentage against both FBS and FCS. Take out FCS wins and you have 48%. 10 year tenure coming up...

W L W (FBS Only) L
2006 7 6 6 6
2007 5 7 5 7
2008 5 7 5 7
2009 10 3 10 3
2010 6 7 5 7
2011 2 10 2 10
2012 8 4 8 4
2013 8 5 7 5
2014 6 6 5 6
2015 2 2 1 2
59 57 54 57
FCS and FBS Win 51.00% FBS Win 48.00%

What was Andy McCollum's?

Would you mind figuring records in conference play as well?

I think critical facts would be fair and reasonable to factor in evaluatng his overall record. I was pretty sick about yesterday's loss. I, too, am tired of blown opportunities. The losses to 1AAs were real lows IMO. With all those qualifiers stated supporting my desire to see better and more success, the last decade has demonstrated that MTSU is not the only 1A program to lose to some 1AA teams. Ranked Michigan. Ranked K-State come to mind. VaTech. USF was decimated by McNeese St on opening day the year following our loss to McNeese St. Leading up to that season, USF had been riding a pretty successful wave. Those losses for MTSU stung badly, but MTSU is not the lone disgraced loser with the scarlet A in that regard.

On to the main point that I think most people overlook or forget when considering Coach Stock's overall record at MTSU. The first 3 or 4 seasons into coach stock's tenure at least were marred by coach mac's utter neglect of academics. Remember the embarrassment, disgrace, and humiliation when the first APR was released that revealed MTSU dead last in the nation? MTSU football was getting that negative sports coverage locally, regionally, and nationally for a good number of weeks following that first APR release. With it came severe penalties. The penalties were more harsh than if the program had been caught cheating. At least if MT had cheated then gotten busted, there would likely have been several years of really high success for the football program with less severe sanctions. As it went, no associated success with cheating on recruiting or however those programs rise to rapid national success for a few years.

The loss of scholarships and limits on number of recruits MT could sign over the next few years left coach stock and MT trying to compete in 1A and the SunBelt with barely 60 scholarship players and a few walkons. IIRC, coach stock did such a good job of rehabbing the program academically that the NCAA allowed MT to add a few more recruits to those restricted signing classes after a few years. As about as fast as possible, I think coach stock improved APR to acceptable levels that increased the number of signees allowed with a recruiting class. He did such a good job that the APR did not drag on unnecessarily. Nevertheless, coach stock and MT football were severely limited in recruiting and overall scholarship players for those first 4 years or so under his tenure. Heck, I remember those first couple of years when MTSU was already going to be low in overall scholarship players around the low 60s IIRC, coach stock could only sign 12 or 13 recruits per year in those first couple of seasons. I remember it sucked real bad knowing MT was going to struggle for years to come due to coach mac's mistakes or oversights.

I really think is fair and reasonable to take into account the disaster coach stock inherited. Again, his first 3 or 4 years easily was trying to run the program with an arm tied behind his back. I'd hope people would consider those significant factors when evaluating coach stock's performance with his overall 10 year record and/or average.

Anyone else remember that time of trying to replace coach mac? All kinds of talk and rumors would surface of a coach MT might be hiring only to see nothing come of it. Then the process kept drawing out a fairly lengthy time even for MT's overall slow hiring policies. Then Coach Stock's name surfaced when his name was not really much on anyone's wishlist or expected list. I think time has pretty much revealed that no one wanted the MTSU HC job at the time. Smart HC candidates knew what a mess they would be walking into. Hardly none of the high quality coaches out there most fans wanted for the job wanted anything to do with taking over the MT mess. Given a number of factors, coach stock was willing to take the job. IMO, given his age and circumstances, I suspect coach stock appreciated even a difficult opportunity to become a 1A HC. His connection to AD Massaro likely also helped in that he knew Massaro understood MT's dire situation and would accordingly give coach stock a fair amount of time to get the program back on track. I also think coach stock has returned that loyalty in significant ways over the years.

Disclaimer, I have no personal knowledge or connections to any of the relevant people. This is my opinion and observations based upon publicly reported information over the years.

Ultimately though, I do think coach stock is a good and honorable coach. IMHO, coach stock deserves to have all the facts considered when evaluating his overall record and average since he has been here.

So do you think we shouldn't care about win percentages at all?

There's more to it than just the win %. Let's face it, he had to clean up Andy Mac's Dumpster fire which feature 'ship reductions. Then, the 2011 season, which really looks like an anomaly. Then, you add in the fact that we play body bag games about once a season, and that's win % probably doesn't reflect the coaching job Stock's done.

There's been some disappointments, definately. Some bad losses, a few big wins. They've probably even-ed out, IMHO.

Since moving to CUSA, we're 12-5, or 71% in conference. We won at a 60% clip in the Sunbelt. We're actually playing better now than we did back then. 71% is pretty good, IMHO.

We've got an incredible young QB, finally some stability on the coaching staff, our recruiting is getting better each year. I think we've got a bright future.

I think its fair after 10 years to look beyond the first 3 years and look at his total record. A couple of key points to make, Stock was given resources to improve the APR. He also is paid decently. While I give him credit for putting in the structure academically, it makes you wonder what the hell was going on before him - sounds like some other school leaders skated by and looked the other way.

I hope Stock is an anomaly, in that all of a sudden we start winning 9-10 games a year, it would be rare if it happens. We have some nice pieces, but just not sure how we turn it up to a new level. Regardless, I will be wearing Blue and be All In!

For Wiley,

I went off the top of my head, but AM was 26-31 in his 5 years. I think we played more P5 schools and our won our share of SB games.

Actually the difference from the two coaches isn't that different. Obviously Stock is more steady, not as many highs or lows. Stock has the program on sound footing, but he also was given many more resources.

We are in the "middle" - our record will not change till our name changes!

Outsider's take on Rick Stockstill:

He is a 9/10 as a person
He is a 7/10 as a coach

If you ever fired this guy, you will get exactly what you deserve. He is a very good fit for MTSU, enjoy his tenure.

Reactions: C-Bow
For Wiley,

I went off the top of my head, but AM was 26-31 in his 5 years. I think we played more P5 schools and our won our share of SB games.

Actually the difference from the two coaches isn't that different. Obviously Stock is more steady, not as many highs or lows. Stock has the program on sound footing, but he also was given many more resources.

We are in the "middle" - our record will not change till our name changes
!

Were that mcollum was the MT coach for just five years, unfortunately, it was seven. In 79 games he was 34-45.

Outsider's take on Rick Stockstill:

He is a 9/10 as a person
He is a 7/10 as a coach

If you ever fired this guy, you will get exactly what you deserve. He is a very good fit for MTSU, enjoy his tenure.

I have no idea who you are. Also, I've noted repeatedly on here that I have no personal connection or knowledge of coach stock or any other key people in the football program. From what I can see through his administration of the football program and general public information, it looks like coach stock is one heck of a stand up guy. He runs the program honorably from what I can tell. He seems like a good and decent man and coach from my distant view. Of course I say this knowing it's the ole "he was a great guy; never did anyone wrong" right after said person went on an ax murdering spree. So yes, age and experience has taught that so many people you just don't really know. All of those qualifiers aside. Coach Stock and his overall job at and for MTSU looks to me like he is one of the good guys that's doing an overall really good job. I'm also glad to say that I never heard of any unethical or questionable behavior from the coaching staff during coach stock's tenure. Admittedly, I don't get out like I used to. All of that to say that overall I'm pretty doggone glad to have coach stock as HC of my favorite team.

While I do like and support coach stock, I do still dislikes losses. I might disagree with some play calling and approaches to some games, but I do not see that inconsistent with my overall support of coach stock as HC. I see a lot of my concerns or criticisms as things that the coaches are likely thinking or saying themselves. For example, I've been one of the people critical and harping on the running game/play calling at Illinois. I noticed on the coaches show last night, one of the first things coach stock said was how they have to fix and improve the running game right now. I'm glad that he's willing to address questionable or problem areas.

Lastly, coach stock's apparent change and improvements in some areas this offseason really bolstered my confidence in what he's doing and the overall direction of the program. No coach is going to be perfect. I respect a coach who is willing to learn from mistakes, experiences, and adversity. I'm hopeful that his willingness to adapt and adjust will lead to some added success over the long haul. Admittedly, I want to see some incredible special seasons with big bowl wins. I'm hoping for and expecting at some point for MTSU football to crack the top 25 every once in awhile. Sooner rather than later, I'd like to see some conference championships and a buzz about football that packs the stadium. I hope Coach Stock can accomplish that at MTSU.

W L W (FBS Only) L
2006 7 6 6 6
2007 5 7 5 7
2008 5 7 5 7
2009 10 3 10 3
2010 6 7 5 7
2011 2 10 2 10
2012 8 4 8 4
2013 8 5 7 5
2014 6 6 5 6
2015 2 3 1 3
59 58 54 58
FCS and FBS Win 50.4% FBS Win 48.00%

Reactions: gooootigers3
50% W/L.....Middle of the road @ Middle Tennessee State University. Hey he's the perfect fit yall lets give him tenure here($hit he's already got it!!)... Literally the definition of mediocre right there....He sure is a stand up guy though! (Remind me, next time I suck @$$ at my job....like kill a patient or something.... just be as nice as possible to the family and lawyers and everything will be fine!) And I make about 10% of what he does......

And the saddest part of it all, we are perfectly satisfied with 50% and many will jump to his defense often citing the poor record of McCollum (they actually have strikingly similar conference play records) as a reason to keep Stock. My question would be though, who ISN'T an upgrade from McCollum? (LOL).......Some expectations here at MT would be nice, but that'll never happen. This university has never had any accountability to winning going back to when Boots was the AD and apparently never will. It literally took an act of god (had to fire and hire a new AD and he still got another year) to fire the drunken alcoholic piss poor sub-par previous coaching staff we had in place here. Stock will probably still be the head coach here at MT when he's laying in his casket.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
2006 7 6 6 6
2007 5 7 5 7
2008 5 7 5 7
2009 10 3 10 3
2010 6 7 5 7
2011 2 10 2 10
2012 8 4 8 4
2013 8 5 7 5
2014 6 6 5 6
2015 7 5 6 5

64 60 59 60

Rounding up.
52.00% FBS and FCS win percentage
50.00% FBS win percentage

Would be nice to get one more on the win column.

I personally only care about the last 4 years and what he's done there is a bit different. He's +9 which is enough wins to look good for 5 years let alone 4. We are trending better than most in the G5 realm.

I don't really know what the point of this is.

jt you get pretty roughed up over a post with win losses. Here is to one more win in the Bahamas.

I think we should give this topic a bit or rest until after the season is over. Let cheer them on in the bowl game and see what happens. After that and recruiting, lets bat this around...JMHO

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT