ADVERTISEMENT

Stockstill's Buyout...a Tale of Misery

rcodeman

True Blue
Feb 4, 2005
USA Today posted the Coaching Salary Database. While Stockstill's salary is only 85th overall, his buyout is $6.6 million. To put that in perspective...Kansas State just hired Chris Klieman, who has won 4 FCS national titles...that's right four!!! His buyout is $6 million. Josh Heupel's is less, Lane Kiffin's is less. Mark D'Antonio the 24th highest paid coach in college football is only $400k more.

His buyout is in the top 50 of the entire database.

If I am a football coach I hire his agent.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Once it was clear this shit was going nowhere Massaro should have started cancelling home games vs 1AAs and scheduling games at Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Michigan, Penn State, Florida ect and used that money to get rid of him. 3 of those money games two seasons in a row should do the trick. Road games at Ole Miss and Virginia Tech are not going to cut it.

Once it was clear this shit was going nowhere Massaro should have started cancelling home games vs 1AAs and scheduling games at Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Michigan, Penn State, Florida ect and used that money to get rid of him. 3 of those money games two seasons in a row should do the trick. Road games at Ole Miss and Virginia Tech are not going to cut it.

In theory, yes. Problem is those body bag games are paying the bills and balancing the books. They need those just to break even, never mind saving millions for a buyout.

I raised Holy hell about this the minute after Massaro and Stock announced it in June over four years ago. They pitched it like we were idiots and some folks on BRZ who bought into the bullsh*t banned me from the place.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...ootball-coach-rick-stockstill-raise/28513707/

I don’t blame Stock one bit. He pulled the windfall of a lifetime and Tommy West was his mentor. Memphis eventually learned from their mistake with Tommy after he shut down and waited for them to fire him then pay him almost $3 million to sit at home or play golf. He didn’t even have an offset provision when he was at UAB. Memphis had a former Head coach they were still paying on the UAB sideline in 2011 coaching UAB’s defense to a victory against Larry Porter.

Unfortunately, MT doesn’t have a Memphis-like booster base that Massaro can run up to now and ask for $6+ million dollars.

It still makes me really angry that we have people this inept in high places making these decisions but I’ve seen it before with RC Johnson. I just never thought about Massaro at that level. Pitiful.

That is some damn job security. Hurry up 2028 lol. Thats if the MandM team does not extend him yet even more.

Ridiculous coaching salaries .... Academics being the focus of every program...my a$$.

This place wont ever get another dime from me outside of a ticket / concessions.

But if they would price the pretzels at $20....I'd probably still buy it.

Reactions: subkyle
I raised Holy hell about this the minute after Massaro and Stock announced it in June over four years ago. They pitched it like we were idiots and some folks on BRZ who bought into the bullsh*t banned me from the place.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...ootball-coach-rick-stockstill-raise/28513707/

I don’t blame Stock one bit. He pulled the windfall of a lifetime and Tommy West was his mentor. Memphis eventually learned from their mistake with Tommy after he shut down and waited for them to fire him then pay him almost $3 million to sit at home or play golf. He didn’t even have an offset provision when he was at UAB. Memphis had a former Head coach they were still paying on the UAB sideline in 2011 coaching UAB’s defense to a victory against Larry Porter.

Unfortunately, MT doesn’t have a Memphis-like booster base that Massaro can run up to now and ask for $6+ million dollars.

It still makes me really angry that we have people this inept in high places making these decisions but I’ve seen it before with RC Johnson. I just never thought about Massaro at that level. Pitiful.
At least RC could raise money. CM can only raise money through buy games.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I guess or only hope is for him to get burnt out and retire. Let's be honest, most of the time he looks like he'd rather be getting a colonoscopy than coaching.

Why? He’s got it made. The media doesn’t even show up for his pressers. , therefore no tough questions or accountability. His AD is clueless to the current state of affairs and his coaching staff aren’t gonna bail on him unless he fires them. Nobody else wants them. No mandatory personal appearances or marketing duties required. Just show up and hand out a few t-shirts to some students.

For almost a million a year. He ain’t leaving until he wants to leave.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I would like to think there is an element to personal integrity. Aside from that, I don't know about y'all but I hate losing. I hate losing more than anything in life.

If you are in coaching for life I would imagine you hate losing too. I don't know... Just seems like he shouldn't need the threat of being fired or bought out to want to win. Or to work hard to be good.

I honestly don't think motivation is the issue. I don't even think it's his knowledge or ability as a coach. I think it boils down to two things that I will elaborate on...

1. Staff: Stock hires people he is uber comfortable with. He mostly hires buddies. Sometimes hires a young buck who is a go getter. Probably makes those do most of the recruiting leg work. A lot of these buddies are older guys who know they are never going to be head coaches again (or ever) so they just ride the gravy train. Those are the ones I fear don't have the fire in their belly or much integrity left.

2. The second here is symptom of #1. We don't recruit worth a shit. We aren't recruiting to be the best we can be. We are recruiting kids who are decent enough to keep us competitive against terrible conference competition.

I actually believe CRS is a good coach. He's got good command of Xs and Os. And his game managed is serviceable (aside from never challenging bad calls). He needs a staff that has a passion for winning and moving up in their career. He most certainly does not have a staff who can say that.

So, my thoughts to CRS if he would listen. If you are just going to mail it in along with your buddies who are in the golden parachute job then retire. Otherwise, make some changes to your staff and make MT relevant in football instead of a team that's perpetually in the err middle. That alone would likely be enough to flip the talent level.

IMO, if Franklin and Shafer have talent that's a damn good duo to be coordinating your offense and defense. But there is a dearth of talent. We shouldn't be this bad with those guys as our coordinators.

IMO, if Franklin and Shafer have talent that's a damn good duo to be coordinating your offense and defense. But there is a dearth of talent. We shouldn't be this bad with those guys as our coordinators.
I think Stockstill hinders his coordinators and the result is losing out of conference games, winning/losing close conference games, and getting blown out in bowl games.

Reactions: coachchia
Well, there is perhaps a small glimmer of hope. CRS is out of automatic contract extensions. There wasn't much good about the way that contract was written for the university, but if there is one caveat that is a silver lining they placed a cap on the number of times the automatic extension and raise can be earned.

That cap has been met. But there is also a huge downside to that. One is CRS was just successful enough to trigger the extension four times in the five year period. The second and perhaps worse aspect is now there is no financial or contractual incentive to even meet the bare minimum .500 season. In other words, CRS has already successfully sucked every penny out of the university he could possibly muster.

But at least the buyout will start going down after this season. Next summer his buyout will be $5.6 million and will go down approximately one million every year until it's down to zero.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Well, there is perhaps a small glimmer of hope. CRS is out of automatic contract extensions. There wasn't much good about the way that contract was written for the university, but if there is one caveat that is a silver lining they placed a cap on the number of times the automatic extension and raise can be earned.

That cap has been met. But there is also a huge downside to that. One is CRS was just successful enough to trigger the extension four times in the five year period. The second and perhaps worse aspect is now there is no financial or contractual incentive to even meet the bare minimum .500 season. In other words, CRS has already successfully sucked every penny out of the university he could possibly muster.

But at least the buyout will start going down after this season. Next summer his buyout will be $5.6 million and will go down approximately one million every year until it's down to zero.

The last public contract (on the internet from the newspaper FOIA requests) had his last extension in 2024. Now its all of a sudden 2027?

The last public contract (on the internet from the newspaper FOIA requests) had his last extension in 2024. Now its all of a sudden 2027?

Right, I don't believe that's accurate what was reported above. I'm pretty sure it's through the 2024 season (i.e. ending June 30, 2025).

I think Casey may be right though about an extension, because if I am not mistaken the buyout is the entirety of the contract. If USA today is correct and it is $6+ million as of 12/1/19, then that would be longer than 2024.

He's at $1.1 million right now.

Next summer will be $5.5M
21 = $4.4M
22= $3.3M
23=$2.2M
24=$1.1M
25=Expires

excerpt from dnj article:

Why MT football coach Rick Stockstill has a $6.6 million buyout

... "It's a very high number but it's one of those numbers that I don't think we'll ever have to pay because he's been so successful," MTSU Athletic Director Chris Massaro said. "He's winning 67% of his conference games and he's 22-5 against C-USA opponents at home. All of those kind of things that I try to measure and go by, he's done.

"Part of the thing is that we knew we'd be in position to play Power Five teams and you don't want to penalize the guy because his record's going to suffer a bit. Coach Stockstill's done a great job during his time here so that buyout number doesn't bother me." ....

... "It's a very high number but it's one of those numbers that I don't think we'll ever have to pay because he's been so successful," MTSU Athletic Director Chris Massaro said. "He's winning 67% of his conference games and he's 22-5 against C-USA opponents at home. All of those kind of things that I try to measure and go by, he's done.

"Part of the thing is that we knew we'd be in position to play Power Five teams and you don't want to penalize the guy because his record's going to suffer a bit. Coach Stockstill's done a great job during his time here so that buyout number doesn't bother me." ....

So brain dead and out of touch. Records and statistics don't matter when your program is on life support and/or basically dead. He's a middle of the road coach delivering middle of the road results going on 2 decades without a single outright championship. In his 15ish years here he has never fielded the best team in his conference and likely never will. I don't understand how we can continue to employ him.

This program won't survive their careers at MT, if it's not dead already.

puff, puff, pass.

Reactions: MT Glenn

It’s glaringly apparent that an empty stadium doesn’t bother Massaro either. He must camp out at McPhee’s door every month to get his student activity fee check so he can make payroll.

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
Question really is not if we will ever pay it, we won’t, cause we can’t afford it . But why he has this large a buy out to begin with. Answer is an inexperienced small time AD signed off on a very bad contract. Massaro's contract can not be near as large and for him giving a mediocre coach that large of a contract he should be fired.

Question really is not if we will ever pay it, we won’t, cause we can’t afford it . But why he has this large a buy out to begin with. Answer is an inexperienced small time AD signed off on a very bad contract. Massaro's contract can not be near as large and for him giving a mediocre coach that large of a contract he should be fired.

Been a proponent of firing Massaro for a good 3-4 years now. If it hasn't happened by now, I don't think it'll ever happen. McPhee, Massaro, and Stockstill all appear to be in it together, a package deal. McPhee appears to have zero interest in firing Massaro, Massaro appears to have zero interest in firing Stockstill (because he can't), and Stockstill obviously isn't going anywhere. He's eating for free for at least the next 5 years regardless of results.....must be nice.

If this universities athletics had any accountability, for example was a private company with share holders, these 3 clowns would have been fired long ago. But of course it is a government entity and thus shielded from any type of expectations or accountability.

As fans I have no idea what we are supposed to do. It is unbelievably unfair to saddle us with expectations of supporting the football program with these pathetic results. How can we possibly support such an incompetent group of second-rate coaches? 12 men on the field anybody?? Never forget.

It's impossible to get excited about this program when after 13 seasons we have never fielded the best team in our conference and there's nothing to indicate that will change any time soon.

Like many others, I just don't even watch or care anymore. I watched the second quarter and start of the 3rd. That was all I needed to see. In that brief time I saw a team that was uninspired, overwhelmed, underprepared, and flat out not as good as Charlotte. They had better players, better play calls, better effort, and better results. They controlled the LOS, they dictated the terms of the game, we didn't have a single player step up and do anything meaningful......just out there going through the motions and getting our ass kicked. Same ole predictable TF offense that crumbles any time the OL is pressured and same ole predictable shafer play calling zero and man free blitzing. Healy read it all like a book and had his players ready to play. We are lucky the score was as close as it was. We were thoroughly dominated in what should have been a must-win game.

Ill say it again. This is a bad team. Garbage, infact. I'm sure they will come out and blast Rice to try and prove us all wrong but all that does, at least for me personally, is make me even more angry because one week we come to play like we did against FIU and the next week we look like a jr. high team in a must-win game on the road. Classic, typical, schizophrenic bad college football team.

Seasons over. Really no point in even playing the rest of the games to be honest. Redshirt who you can and get ready for next year.

Once again, there will be no championship in Murfreesboro this season. And once again, Rick Stockstill has failed to field the best team in his conference going on 13 or 14 seasons now......

Does anyone think there is a chance of Stockstill leaving or retiring voluntarily?

Instead of whining about it here, we should start sending letters to the Board...find out a way to make our feelings known, from writing letters to the DNJ. At least get a moment going.

Back at the end of 2009, Stock deserved more money, but the idea of so many years with low hanging goals gave us no out. The irony his yearly pay isn't that crazy for CUSA now.

It would not surprise me if we win out and sneak into a bowl. But its all getting old.

Reactions: MarJac23
We lost miserably yesterday to a school that voted to create a football program 11 years ago backed by mega booster and former Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson. They began playing Div. 1 football only 7 years ago.
Our staff was taken to the woodshed by a young HC and staff that is one year removed from leading Austin Peay to a new level of success.

I’m gonna call Coach Donnelly tomorrow and ask for his take on this latest beat down although I have a pretty good idea already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Predarat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT