ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Stockstill FIRED

Go Away Do Not Want GIF

Good Lord Almighty. Obviously like any decent fan. I am thrilled for the news. I do hate knowing we’re going to have to pay that dude quite a bit of money. That being said, my tailgating equipment will be back on campus next season along with anybody that I can drag the games! Go blue.

I suppose I need to start donating again too. This is great news, but gotta make the right hire. Gotta wonder of Shafer will apply and what the odds are he would get it.

This is a good first step but I still don’t believe Stockstill was even the biggest problem.

We still have Steve smith and McPhee who will likely hire the wrong guy on the cheap just like they did with basketball.

I would have rather see McPhee, smith, and Massaro fired first. But I guess we will have to take what we can get

Not surprised to see players' comments because of course they're gonna love their coach, but good lord are some of these guys blinded by him.

Handcuffed? More like dried up BECAUSE of Stockstill. Jesus, guys. Take off the blue glasses for a second. Massaro is a separate issue, but Stockstill being a class act - which he is - doesn't mean he is the right man to salvage the program from the low point we're at right now.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
This is a good first step but I still don’t believe Stockstill was even the biggest problem.

We still have Steve smith and McPhee who will likely hire the wrong guy on the cheap just like they did with basketball.

I would have rather see McPhee, smith, and Massaro fired first. But I guess we will have to take what we can get
100% agree with this.

The contract payoff is no small chump change for MT. Wonder if a coalition of donors went to Massaro with a tender offer for the firing followed by an additional tender donation for the new hire.
Before the day is out there will be a posting:
WHO DO YOU WANT AS NEW COACH?
That should be fun to see the choices everyone comes up with.

I think Manny Diaz will probably be at the forefront of most peoples' lists, but realistically, I think APSU's Scotty Walden would be a decent hire as well.

Reactions: tyler90wm
THEY FINALLY DID IT!

I'm following through with my pledge - i'm joining the BRAA and i'm buying season tix next year.

Might wanna wait for t

Actually he was overpaid.

That said, to the point about being a good step. It absolutely is. Granted I have zero confidence in who they end up hiring, but this was a significant step in the direction of this program. You said it yourself, the program is dead. This decision is like spraying the roundup on the weeds. Soon it will be time to sow the seeds to regrow. Though I have no confidence maybe we get lucky.

But the bottom line is that this signifies a) that they acknowledged their mistakes in the first place and b) they heard from us that what was being achieved wasn't enough. That's a good starting place. A good place to begin earning back our trust.

Last edited:

Good point. Maybe even the big boys finally decided it's finally time to employ a little "CYA" philosophy for their own good.

But the bottom line is that this signifies a) that they acknowledged their mistakes in the first place and b) they heard from us that what was being achieved wasn't enough. That's a good starting place. A good place to being earning back our trust.
Regardless of who we end up with or how that turns out - this is good enough for me to take a leap of faith and put my money down.

Maybe 3/4 years from now we're back in the same place.

At least they're trying. And as long as they keep trying, i'll support them.

Regardless of who we end up with or how that turns out - this is good enough for me to take a leap of faith and put my money down.

THIS. That's why I don't want someone who wants to retire here. If it doesn't work out, ok. Try again. Just keep trying. Keep hope alive. Show you care and demand more than making a bowl.

Reactions: tyler90wm
THEY FINALLY DID IT!

I'm following through with my pledge - i'm joining the BRAA and i'm buying season tix next year.

Welp, in typical MTSU fashion - the link to join BRAA is not working.

I'm sure they've got bigger fish to fry today.

But I'm back all-in!
I appreciate they currently have the website listing benefits for 2019-2020.

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I would like to see Manny come back. He's on to bigger things now and might be too far up the ladder to want to come here, but I still contend MT has tremendous potential if they can get leadership sorted out. So many things going for it that I could list, but we just need a new vision.

I would like to see Manny come back. He's on to bigger things now and might be too far up the ladder to want to come here, but I still contend MT has tremendous potential if they can get leadership sorted out. So many things going for it that I could list, but we just need a new vision.
Agree. Make him say no.

Reactions: RaiderDeez

Trying isn’t good enough! You make this move you gotta pay the $ to get a Jamie Chadwell type coach or the university just makes money from all your butts being back in the seats & continued mediocre football or worse. Just removing Stock to please people to hire a new guy will be the coffin nailed shut for some time & wasted money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT