ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Stockstill FIRED

Right now, I’m looking at BRAA levels and the corresponding bennies. That and season tickets again. Not gonna jump in with both feet just yet. Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me. I’m hoping and thinking there’s more to come.
That's fair. I thought I read somewhere on the this thread that folks were asking about NIL. But maybe my eyes deceived me.

Guess I understand where those players are coming from. If I had a boss who never pushed me, held me accountable, & pretty much allowed me a free ride as long as I showed up for work (in his case, meaning go to class) I would be pretty loyal too. Wish I could have had a boss who wanted to be more of a friend than a boss.
Best post on this forum in a while.

No retreads please. We could fall into the same tap we had with Stockstill. when you get to be 60+, you are just riding it out until retirement. Those guys aren't burning the late night oil or traveling around to meet recruits/transfers. I would rather take a chance on a younger guy trying to make himself a name and get him for only 2 years. Then you try to rinse and repeat.

MT is not a destination job, so we need to understand it's a place to build or rebuild (if the person is younger) and move on if they want to.

The thing that stuck out to me is how the money is coming from us staying in C-USA. I don't think this decision happens today had we joined the MAC.

The second thing is Chris also hit the nail on the head on the type of coach we need. An over the top personality.

But he also needs to be able to win games not just the press conferences and meet and greets.

The outright hostility towards fans from so many former players is just stunning to me. Really emphasizes their ego and total sense of entitlement… clearly showing a change was needed. They don’t seem to get that the fans and donors who fund the BRAA are literally funding their scholarships to play for the school but hey all of those people are worthless losers according to these guys. Wow.

Where's McPhee in all of this?
Hopefully far away from it. Someone said they don't want Chris making the hire, but I would rather have him than McPhee. Food for thought. He's not hit all homeruns, but he's made some good hires on the olympic sports. And remember it was McPhee that screwed up the basketball hire getting in the way of what CM was trying to do.

The outright hostility towards fans from so many former players is just stunning to me. Really emphasizes their ego and total sense of entitlement… clearly showing a change was needed. They don’t seem to get that the fans and donors who fund the BRAA are literally funding their scholarships to play for the school but hey all of those people are worthless losers according to these guys. Wow.
Probably same ones that played in Military Bowl and embarrassed themselves vs Navy.

Case in point… this entire thread. Yikes. And they wonder why people look at them as a joke. This attitude towards the few fans we do have doesn’t do any favors!

There's been several times over the years, "ignore the noise" was the coach's refrain when things were bad and fans were expressing their unhappiness. Disrespecting fans and ticket buying public was set from the top.

There's been several times over the years, "ignore the noise" was the coach's refrain when things were bad and fans were expressing their unhappiness. Disrespecting fans and ticket buying public was set from the top.
Absolutely. Part of why things got so bad. The lack of understanding how the college athletics world works is really alarming coming from folks who were a part of it as student athletes...

Reactions: RaiderDeez
I always thought, when the time came, there would be a joint press conference with M & M, along with Stock. From a distance assumed there was a good degree of mutual respect and admiration among the three of them.
In essence saying Rick has decided to step aside, and will work as a special adviser/assistant to the Office of the President. Allows him to go out with his head held high, while still drawing a negotiated salary & benefits. A win/win for everyone.
The fact Massaro had to fire him tells me at least 3 things:
1. Rick thought things were going pretty well on the field.
2. He didn’t really grasp that the lack of fan support, as measured by in- game attendance and financial support, was tied at all to him as the face & leader of the football program.
3. There was obviously no way he was going to leave $5 million dollars on the table by resigning and taking another job with MT.
I did think, however, he would negotiate a buyout and stay connected to the University.
I certainly misread how this would unfold, when it finally happened.
Guess I don’t blame him for grabbing the $$$, but his lack of perceived self-awareness around items 1 & 2 is disappointing for someone with his scope of responsibility.

Somebody tell P McNeil that he also lack the opportunity to win a conference championship. Winning breeds excitement an support.

I always thought, when the time came, there would be a joint press conference with M & M, along with Stock. From a distance assumed there was a good degree of mutual respect and admiration among the three of them.
In essence saying Rick has decided to step aside, and will work as a special adviser/assistant to the Office of the President. Allows him to go out with his head held high, while still drawing a negotiated salary & benefits. A win/win for everyone.
The fact Massaro had to fire him tells me at least 3 things:
1. Rick thought things were going pretty well on the field.
2. He didn’t really grasp that the lack of fan support, as measured by in- game attendance and financial support, was tied at all to him as the face & leader of the football program.
3. There was obviously no way he was going to leave $5 million dollars on the table by resigning and taking another job with MT.
I did think, however, he would negotiate a buyout and stay connected to the University.
I certainly misread how this would unfold, when it finally happened.
Guess I don’t blame him for grabbing the $$$, but his lack of perceived self-awareness around items 1 & 2 is disappointing for someone with his scope of responsibility.

In spite of my thanks to him, I'm pretty sure he was in it more for the money than the legacy. Otherwise, this would have went differently beginning many years prior.

Not surprised to see players' comments because of course they're gonna love their coach, but good lord are some of these guys blinded by him.

Handcuffed? More like dried up BECAUSE of Stockstill. Jesus, guys. Take off the blue glasses for a second. Massaro is a separate issue, but Stockstill being a class act - which he is - doesn't mean he is the right man to salvage the program from the low point we're at right now.

Massaro said all the right things in that video. Especially the discussion about NIL and transfer portal.

We HAVE to get a collective going and get money into the pockets of these kids. It is a huge part of how you win these days. I would also happily contribute to something that puts money in these kids pockets. I am much less likely to donate to these big projects or funds. Just a personal preference. I want to put the money in the kids pockets.

Going to cut the players some slack. Y’all maybe should too. Call it Stockholm Syndrome if you want ;-) but it’s day 1 for them. Emotions are raw. Real world has just slapped some of these guys so I’ll allow some time to process even if that means spouting off.

Going to cut the players some slack. Y’all maybe should too. Call it Stockholm Syndrome if you want ;-) but it’s day 1 for them. Emotions are raw. Real world has just slapped some of these guys so I’ll allow some time to process even if that means spouting off.
Stockholm Syndrome is a very good way to put it! Not good that they're attacking fans, but definitely understandable that they're feeling frustrated.

Probably same ones that played in Military Bowl and embarrassed themselves vs Navy.
The eye gouging bowl. 😂😂
The gentleman I sat with during that bowl game was absolutely livid and visibly upset when all that played out in front of a National TV audience. I won’t say who it was because he reads this forum. 😂😂

What is it with these people. Sad day? No loyalty? Comments on this one befuddle me.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/D9QT5fZg8ez8CKws/?mibextid=WC7FNe

Seems like a lot of the fans have been Stockholmed too.

If someone needs this explained to them they either a) are oblivious to how college athletics works, b) clueless to what’s actually transpired to the “program” or c) and probably most likely simply represent the majority of this base which is the little middle mindset and culture. Still alive and well. Probably the most mind numbing thing I’ve had to experience since becoming a Blue Raider. Sigh

Seems like a lot of the fans have been Stockholmed too.

If someone needs this explained to them they either a) are oblivious to how college athletics works, b) clueless to what’s actually transpired to the “program” or c) and probably most likely simply represent the majority of this base which is the little middle mindset and culture. Still alive and well. Probably the most mind numbing thing I’ve had to experience since becoming a Blue Raider. Sigh
I suspect all the ass kissers bemoaning the firing haven't bought a MT football ticket in years.

These former players are not men yet. They have a blind following with no concept of what MT could be.

I think 01 nailed it. Stockholm syndrome.

It’s a new day.

Alex Dale is nearly 30, the first class he recruited would be 35/36 now and he had seniors in 2006 who are 40. I haven't seen any of those guys attacking fans(I'm not on twitter), but have seem some lamenting the decision on Facebook.

I'm not sure the average person, even the college football super fan, can fully understand the player/coach relationship.

Alex Dale is nearly 30, the first class he recruited would be 35/36 now and he had seniors in 2006 who are 40. I haven't seen any of those guys attacking fans(I'm not on twitter), but have seem some lamenting the decision on Facebook.

I'm not sure the average person, even the college football super fan, can fully understand the player/coach relationship.
great point.

I worked in college athletics for 18 months or so in various capacities (10 years ago) and I am still impacted by the coaches I worked with. And I didn’t play

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT