ADVERTISEMENT

Sorting out the Bowl Situation

blueraiderJT

Hall of Famer
Oct 15, 2006
Since I was bored, I went and did an assessment of how many teams were bowl eligible and the count is at 75.

There are a couple of possibles still. That count is 4 but they are all heavy underdogs. If none of them qualify, we will need 7 teams to fill the 82 spots I believe. Maybe more. I'm tired. :)

It's obvious that they are gonna pick the P5 teams first and here they are...

Kansas State
Nebraska
Illinois
Minnesota
Kentucky
Missouri

That is 6 right there. We would need at least one more. Maybe another. If Texas doesn't win, then I would think ECU would get the nod. They have a win over Va Tech.

I'd love to hear some thoughts here.

I believe there are only 80 spots with the extra two you included being the two winners from the "playoff" games.

I'm counting 75 teams currently bowl eligible also. 3 more play next weekend with a chance to get there (Georgia St vs Georgia So, South Alabama vs App St, Kansas St vs WVU), I don't think any of those 3 will be favored.

I haven't found anything officially confirming this but I've seen several reports that APR will be taken into account when picking the 5 or so 5-7 teams.

My personal opinion is that if they aren't going to use APR to determine who gets them then each conference should just fill their open slots if they have a 5-7 team. Why should a big $$$ school get to play in one of our contracted bowls when we have 4 5-7 teams available? Of course I know in reality if they don't use APR the teams you mentioned will get the spots.

While there may be too many bowls this year, that wasn't the case last year. We had a lot more B.E. teams last year. We had 8 in our own conference. i have mixed feelings.

At first I wasn't thrilled about the Bahamas bowl but when I saw the faces of those kids when Stock told them after the game, I was excited for them. A lot of those kids have never been anywhere and haven't gotten the opportunities a lot of us have to experience things. They deserve a nice trip and i hope they have fun while winning of course.

Beside the top 4, do any of the bowl games really matter? No, so I don't care if there are 40 bowl games and some 5-7 teams involved. It is not like watching a couple of 9-3 power 5 conference teams is better than watching a 6-6 team play a 7-5 team. And some of those low level bowl games provide entertainment to a lot of people - myself included - over the holidays and it gives players a chance to get extra reps for the next season or seniors a chance for one more game.

I vote the more bowls the better.

I saw something on the cusa board that no one seemed to refute. "One thing to keep on mind regarding bowl selections...payouts to individual teams don't matter in CUSA. Those funds are put into a pot and distributed."

Since of these deals, IIRC, are more from the schools' sale of allotted bowl tickets, just wonder how accurate that post on cusa board was...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT