ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Some Decent Progress

dukewayne

All American
Jul 11, 2008
Good to see a couple of wins back at home after those close wins down in Miami.

While it appears the team has yet to reach their full potential, they do appear to continue to make progress. If they can continue to improve and perform to their potential, they could be scary good.

Although Giddy did not have stellar stats at home for these two games, it appears that he is making some really good improvements in his overall game. Last week, I posted my complaint about that spinning fall away shot Giddy started to do this season. The good news is that I do not recall Giddy going to that spin and fall away shot thing once during the 2 game home stand. Giddy started to finally get back to shooting while moving towards the basket. As such, he made it to the free throw line more than he typically has this season. Of note, Giddy went 8 out of 11 at the FT line combined for the two home games. That turns out to be roughly 20% of both his FT attempts and FTs made for the entire season of 17 games! To put another way, Giddy stopped that fade away shot and ended up getting 20% of his total FT attempts in the same two games as compared to his 17 games of the entire season. That is the kind of success that will yield good results for Giddy and the team. It's good to see Giddy getting back to his strengths.

The inside game. Wow! Walters is developing into a beast! Good for him, and good for the team. He can be dominate in conference. Both King and Walters seem to be a force in the frontcourt in conf play.

Particularly vs Southern Miss, it looks like the team made some progress in the important assist game. A good sign indeed.

It seems Simmons, Johnson, and Dixon all seem to be improving and helping make the team better.

Up next, rivalry games with 1st place on the line. The team must bring the A game.

Reactions: MTsumner92
All we need is our guards to shoot with confidence. We should have won by 30+ last night. Big road trip next week.

I expect our basketball team to take rivalry games with more seriousness than football.

Guys just got stuff done yesterday. Nothing flashy except for Brandon Walters. Simpson making the 2 threes at the end was great.... Someone needs to adjust Giddy's reticule....get him back on point. Nick King was out for the last couple of minutes in the first...glad to see him back.

So on to Marshall and WKU. Speaking of WKU, I still think inviting them to CUSA was a terrible move. They should have been left in the Belt...but we need to beat them cause its gonna be a while to do it in football.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Yep, it is a huge road trip. Quite possibly the biggest road trip of the conference season.

As the standings are starting to sort out, it appears that MT, WKU, Marshall, UAB, and ODU are all conference title contenders. If that holds true for the rest of the season, it would appear that C-USA just might have a few teams making some improvements for the conference.

Also noticed the other day that ESPN's Lunardi has WKU in The Dance as a 12 seed with MT in The First Four Out. Hopefully it won't come to this, but MT has been making a pretty good case for an at-large. Of course that would presuppose MT having a dominant conference regular season. 1 loss, maybe 2 at the most if on the road vs one of the other top conf teams with a good RPI. Sadly in recent years, it seems the committee seems to continue the favor the P5 trend.

Who saw the wheels coming off for LaTech? I know I didn't expect to see them at the bottom of the conf standings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT