ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL So much for Kermit retiring in Mississippi

Think he will find recruiting top talent to Ole Miss more difficult than either Texas Tech or Texas. He knows that 1-2 decent years in Oxford & people will forget about his domestic past. Difference between Kermit & Beard. Kermit wanted Ole Miss as his destination point, Beard wants it as a quick stop & go if possible.

Searched Kermit on Twitter and saw his name mentioned at some mid-majors. Him being mentioned to fill Western’s open position was met with mixed reviews. Also saw McDevitt on a list for Georgia Southern. I don’t think that is a real possibility and the list probably has no real info backing it. I just found it interesting as Georgia Southern would be a step down imo.

They should target CNM's replacement at UNCA instead. One could argue that Nick left Asheville in a much bigger heap of dung than what Kermit left for CNM.

Yet Morrell gets UNCA a conference title and NCAA Tournament appearance faster than CNM. And did so producing the best season probably in Asheville's history. Four more wins than CNM's best season and the only coach to go an entire season without without double digit losses.

Guess maybe we should have hired Morrell instead too.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Last time I checked the contract ended in June 2024.

I'm not a huge McD fan, but I'm fine extending McD until 2025 with the existing buyout, but I'm not ready to tie the program to him. That said, I'd be ok with McD moving on to a place like Georgia Southern if he felt like it.
That's my thought as well.

Don't mind 1 more year to help with recruiting. Some transfers have a couple years left. But no increase in buyout and no auto extension of another year unless he wins the conference tournament. Everything else (reg season champ, winning first round of NCAA, winning NIT etc) should just be $$ bonuses.

He's 69-87 (39-51) now. If he isn't extended one more year now and CM leaves the contract alone, I 1000% believe that if he doesn't win at least 20 games in the regular season and bring both those records over .500 as well as win the tournament, let him go. With the way the portal is now if he can't do it in the 6 years he's been given, he can't do it at all.

Why would a school like Georgia Southern want another mid-major coach earning basically $750,000 annually & has a losing record after 5 years? Their has to be coaches out there earning less with stronger resumes. I wouldn't be surprised to see the administration give him another 2-3 year extension. But if Georgia Southern, Northern, or Eastern can come up with enough money to lure him away I say go for it boys!

Reactions: C-Bow
I don't think there is actually anything behind his name being on the list by someone on Twitter, but it was just interesting to me. I don't think he would go as MTSU has a lot more to offer in basketball and I don't see Ga Southern being able to pay him as much as he is getting paid now. He also has what is arguably the most talented team in the conference coming back next year. I think Kermit to WKU is more like, but I don't see that happening either.

Hell, Nick will get a lifetime contract if he hits .500 next year...
Sad but probably true.

In today's athletics world, no coach needs more than a 3 or 4 year contract tops. It could be argued even 4 isn't needed. The days of needing a full recruiting cycle are over. What needs tamed down are the buyouts though. We should never handcuff ourselves to a coach.

Reactions: MTFAN61
They should target CNM's replacement at UNCA instead. One could argue that Nick left Asheville in a much bigger heap of dung than what Kermit left for CNM.

Yet Morrell gets UNCA a conference title and NCAA Tournament appearance faster than CNM. And did so producing the best season probably in Asheville's history. Four more wins than CNM's best season and the only coach to go an entire season without without double digit losses.

Guess maybe we should have hired Morrell instead too.
The Asheville roster when CNM left included:
Macio Teague
Jonathan Baehre
Taijon Jones
LJ Thorpe
Coty Jude

So despite the winningest group of seniors in school history graduating when CNM left 2 of those guys listed above were better than anyone on the MTSU roster at the same time.. perhaps try facts over fiction.

Morrell had a great year this year- and they finally won a post season game in the Big South tournament instead in of getting blown out/losing in the 1st round every year.. I will be more interested in seeing how his teams look once Pember graduates.. getting a guy to Asheville of that quality makes a huge difference in the Big South.. stop comparing apples to oranges it weakens your argument.. plus I like my coaches to not be involved in recruitment violations in federal trials, maybe that's just me...

Last edited:
Reactions: ewglenn
The only fact that matters. Morrell has two championships including one regular season and one post season. CNM has none.

The rest of your message was even more subjective than anything I said.

And those are all the facts.

Pretty substantial change in the coaching profession over the past 5 years.

You can’t be a wet blanket and just know your X’s and O’s. Gotta know how to play the portal game, which is kinda neat actually.

I do think Nick has the ability to assemble the right guys and I hope he can land them to pay dirt.

Anyways. Y’all see CUSA doing pretty well in NIT?

Reactions: ewglenn
The Asheville roster when CNM left included:
Macio Teague
Jonathan Baehre
Taijon Jones
LJ Thorpe
Coty Jude

So despite the winningest group of seniors in school history graduating when CNM left 2 of those guys listed above were better than anyone on the MTSU roster at the same time.. perhaps try facts over fiction.

Morrell had a great year this year- and they finally won a post season game in the Big South tournament instead in of getting blown out/losing in the 1st round every year.. I will be more interested in seeing how his teams look once Pember graduates.. getting a guy to Asheville of that quality makes a huge difference in the Big South.. stop comparing apples to oranges it weakens your argument.. plus I like my coaches to not be involved in recruitment violations in federal trials, maybe that's just me...
I would’ve loved for Teague and Baerhe to follow Nick here. Watched the game vs USC in Nick’s last year and I really liked Baehre’s game. I hated to see injuries impact his career at Clemson.

If you mean better than any players with eligibility left I would agree. If you compare the rosters of Kermit’s last team here vs Nick’s at Asheville, I would say Teague probably best then Nick King and Giddy Potts over Baerhe.

Turned on XM radio channel 84 for Full Ride with Chris Childers this morning. Kermit was a guest commentator. May be trying out sports commentating instead of coaching. 2nd or 3rd time I've heard him on XM recently. He's a fairly good speaker

Turned on XM radio channel 84 for Full Ride with Chris Childers this morning. Kermit was a guest commentator. May be trying out sports commentating instead of coaching. 2nd or 3rd time I've heard him on XM recently. He's a fairly good speaker
Kermit was the best post game interview I've ever heard. I could watch an entire game intently and walk away from his post game learning something about what happened in that game that I just watched but missed. He was always thorough and explained things in a direct manner in which he didn't over-simplify for the ignorant but still conveyed in a less complex way. In other words the exact opposite of Stockstill.

Kermit was the best post game interview I've ever heard. I could watch an entire game intently and walk away from his post game learning something about what happened in that game that I just watched but missed. He was always thorough and explained things in a direct manner in which he didn't over-simplify for the ignorant but still conveyed in a less complex way. In other words the exact opposite of Stockstill.
CKD and CRI are excellent with media.

Stock...is not.

IMO, Stock's personality is probably better suited to be a TE coach where he can just focus on recruiting, coaching, and the players.

I think Kermits contract runs through 2025, not sure what his buyout situation is but he may be in no hurry to get back into coaching.

I think Kermits contract runs through 2025, not sure what his buyout situation is but he may be in no hurry to get back into coaching.
What if with all the portal defections we have CNM wins only about 7-8 games next season. Do you replace with Kermit? Purely hypothetical proposition here.

What if with all the portal defections we have CNM wins only about 7-8 games next season. Do you replace with Kermit? Purely hypothetical proposition here.
I would think you’d at least have to think about it.

I would think you’d at least have to think about it.
Not a bad hypothetical though. Davis is still only in his early 60's. Doesn't look like any school is on his bandwagon right now, & with his Ole Miss contract thru 2025 he certainly is in good financial shape. He could easily wait to see what happens with MT basketball next year. If it was another disastrous year as in McDevitt's 1st 3, the AD & president would probably welcome him back with open arms. That is if they could afford his price tag.

Go get a winner from NAIA or D2 or young assistant that just needs a chance, not a damn retread

Go get a winner from NAIA or D2 or young assistant that just needs a chance, not a damn retread
This. Same for football. Find a up and comer that is hungry. If they do well and leave in a few years, so be it. Find another. If they don't work out, a new D1 coach should have a low buyout so no major expense to send them packing.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Kermit will not come back unless CM and SM are gone.
Would totally be fine with a young energetic up & comer from the lower ranks. Since CM & SM took Kermit's recommendation on Nick coming here didn't realize there was some bad blood between the 3.

Would totally be fine with a young energetic up & comer from the lower ranks. Since CM & SM took Kermit's recommendation on Nick coming here didn't realize there was some bad blood between the 3.
‘61, you’re smarter than that! Your posts are always well thought out and articulated. Anyone can hide behind a screen name and throw out drivel without any facts or proof to back it up. This person simply made a statement about KD and the current administration and left it there.

I think KD will have several good options going forward. I think the key one he has to come to grips with is does he want to leave Mississippi, again. He has elderly family in the area and an adult, special needs daughter. There’s a part of me that thinks he doesn’t want his coaching legacy to be partly defined by having been fired at his last gig. Especially in a state he grew up in.
He always impressed as a high energy person. As others have correctly alluded to, he would be ideal working in media. He could continue to live in MS and commute during basketball season to either call games or provide analysis in the studio.

I stand in the tiny minority of those on this board who didn’t then, and certainly don’t now, hold any ill will over KD leaving for a better job in the SEC. Given we may have the lowest energy AD at any level in the US, KD would be a quantum upgrade over CM. Even acknowledging KD has no administrative experience.

So, I think some time over the next 12 months or so I would not be surprised to see KD coaching somewhere in the Southeast. I wish him nothing but the best, regardless of what he decides to do.

Last edited:
Appreciate the kind words. And always enjoy all commentary from all Blue Raider fans. Not only does it help in learning about others, but based on feedback helps us learn to decipher some about ourselves as well. Whether we have agreements or disagreements the freedom to share our ideas in a forum like this is what makes a venue like Gomiddle.com a pleasure to click on daily.

This. Same for football. Find a up and comer that is hungry. If they do well and leave in a few years, so be it. Find another. If they don't work out, a new D1 coach should have a low buyout so no major expense to send them packing.

This +2! One can look to Murray State and their muted success this season in rehiring Steve Prohm and move up to MVC. It may very well work out in 2-3 years where the Racers are champions again, but it’s far from guaranteed to “retread” a former coach in their old spot and it’s happily ever after. MVC is tougher all the way around in BB and FB than the OVC. Nothing against Kermit, but believe the best future hire is a winner in D-2 or a low major school who is looking for a promotion. When we groom top quality assistants, it’s possible to promote from within and have a solid chain of continuity that many of us dream to have. Faces can change but culture and values should be solidly about consistent winning and contending for championships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT