ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs Western Carolina, 6:30PM, Monday, November 13, 2023

CNM made what otherwise would have been a great coaching decision. He just made it too late. Getting killed on dribble drive penetration he went to a 2-3 zone and if I counted correctly resulted in seven consecutive defensive stops.

If he would have come out and done that to start the second half MT would have won (in spite of their street ball on offense).

Reactions: elamlee
I think I’ve seen enough in the first few games to know we have no chance at winning a conference title. Good news. Like with football more time freed up.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
Only thing worse than the officiating was our free throw percentage. Just brutal.

Unfortunately I think we feel Weston’s presence missing already. Team just desperately needs more players that can simply create opportunities on offense.

I appreciate some of the older players trying shots they aren’t used to, King and Bufford most notably. I liked how Porter was aggressive as well, though I worry he’ll just never have the touch around the rim to be a big time scorer at this level.

Everyone is going to have to try to do more than they are used to fill Weston’s void. Their best hope to salvage the season is using this non-conference season to hopefully develop individual and collective offensive capabilities, even if it costs them games. Even if they found a way to win tonight, this does not look like C-USA title contender as currently constructed and internal growth will be very necessary. It’s a long season, so hopefully that is in the realm of possible.

Unfortunately I think we feel...

Even if they found a way to win tonight, this does not look like C-USA title contender as currently constructed and internal growth will be very necessary. It’s a long season, so hopefully that is in the realm of possible.

That right there (the word highlighted just above) is pretty much what major sports at MT has come to. Mt athletics has turned into the Cubs where all we can do is hope and say next year. Unfortunately, hope ain't a strategy.

Reactions: Hop45
Free throws are obvious evidence how this game should’ve been won regardless of Western Carolina beating Notre Dame or Weston being hurt.

I will say the one defense I will give them is they are at their best when they can play physical defense, which the officiating obviously forbid them to do tonight.

I am starting to worry about the center position. Just don’t know if a reliable option is on the roster. each of the 3 has shown a glaring weakness in these first three games. Again, you hope for some growth but we are starting to see how valuable Dishman was despite his physical limitations.

I am starting to worry about the center position. Just don’t know if a reliable option is on the roster. each of the 3 has shown a glaring weakness in these first three games. Again, you hope for some growth but we are starting to see how valuable Dishman was despite his physical limitations.

Reminds me too much of our football team. Good in some areas, but fatal weaknesses in others that never seem to get corrected.

McDevitt hasn't had a championship caliber squad since Jefferson and Sims graduated. That's 1 out of 5 years he's had the guns to do something, and the 1 year he had them they didn't even win it. Not a good batting average in my opinion.

I don't know what the answers are. We are clearly weak at the 5, but our guards have left a lot to be desired as well. Outside of King and Bufford, I don't really trust any of them to hit a jump shot. The Johnson kid is pretty good in the lane and going to the basket, and Porter flashes here and there, but that's it. Majorly lacking in the consistency department, and we havn't even played on the road yet. This has all been at home in a friendly environment....

Overall, in my opinion, we just don't have the guns. We will be good enough to be respectable, I could probably pull up the schedule right now and tell you our W/L record accurate to within 2 games (I predicted 19 regular season wins last year, we had 17)....but this isn't a CUSA Champion type of squad or a team that's gonna push for 25 W's.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Going down the schedule, I'm making the exact same prediction I made last year.

Regular season record of 19-12 (includes D2 wins)

It was not a great sight. There couldn't be more than 1500 in house and if there were 50 students, not counting the players or the band/cheer squads, you could fool me. It's not like everyone in town decided to select to attend the other two of the MT football game on Saturday, and the WBB game Sunday, and decided two MT events were enough. Total up the three event including tonight, if the actual total was 9,000 I'd imagine 6500 of that total were in attendance at the three, that's how bad the fanbase has deteriorated.

For more than a couple of years, I've brought up the previous inclination to start games at 6PM and how that was tough on people to get from work, to home, and to Murphy Center, but this season so far the games have been later and it hasn't helped. This season had the promise of being a very good season, but this won't help on the heels of Weston's season ending injury.

I can't help but believe the MT fan base, reduced after years of being dis-spirited and discouraged with disappointing football seasons to start the athletic calendar, has found better things to do.

I'd love to see our season ticket numbers for FB, MBB, and WBB, and throw in BsB. While I know they were never great under the current regime,I would be willing to bet there is a decline in all sports.

We're all very disappointed. Had such high hopes for this squad after watching the 1st 20 minutes against Northern Kentucky. Looked like we could play against some top 25 schools after watching that 1st half. Now feel like we would struggle against NAIA competition. The support is still there for these young men, but after watching the free throw shooting & offensive inefficiency my confidence level has taken a major hit for this team. What happened to that 1st 20 minutes a few nights ago??

If it wasn't for the poor free throw shooting, lack of rebounding, unable to make a layup and terrible outside shooting this team could be decent. Having Weston out didn't change a thing.
We need someone who can make a damn basket.

We're all very disappointed. Had such high hopes for this squad after watching the 1st 20 minutes against Northern Kentucky. Looked like we could play against some top 25 schools after watching that 1st half. Now feel like we would struggle against NAIA competition. The support is still there for these young men, but after watching the free throw shooting & offensive inefficiency my confidence level has taken a major hit for this team. What happened to that 1st 20 minutes a few nights ago??
WCU is no chump after beating Notre Dame, and it was a down to the wire game. Plenty of ball left.

I can't help but believe the MT fan base, reduced after years of being dis-spirited and discouraged with disappointing football seasons to start the athletic calendar, has found better things to do.

It's this. Gametimes are irrelevant if you really want to be there. Though dispirited and discouraged probably aren't the correct terms. That doesn't truly express or articulate the impact of apathy and lost "hope" for something more than just existing.

There is a term my old high basketball coach used to say to us all the time when we weren't giving our best effort in practice. "You're just going through the motions." That's what our athletic dept and this Univ does.

If it wasn't for the poor free throw shooting, lack of rebounding, unable to make a layup and terrible outside shooting this team could be decent. Having Weston out didn't change a thing.
We need someone who can make a damn basket.

About spit my coffee out when I read this one. I mean I think you are being serious, but it certainly reminded me of John McCay's,

"we didn't block very well but made up for it by not tackling."

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Were you there? Love attendance complaints by people who don’t attend?
You mistake my making a humored observation of the lack of attendance at our two major revenue sports as a complaint. I’ve been past the complaint stage with this Athletic Dept. years ago. I’m in the “I don’t care stage.” 😂😂
I only decided to watch last night on my ESPN+ subscription after I read that WCU had beaten Notre Dame in South Bend by 10.

Last edited:
You mistake my making a humored observation of the lack of attendance at our two major revenue sports as a complaint. I’ve been past the complaint stage with this Athletic Dept. years ago. I’m in the “I don’t care stage.” 😂😂
I only decided to watch last night on my ESPN+ subscription after I read that WCU had beaten Notre Dame in South Bend by 10.
Well, it comes across as similar to those who don’t vote yet complain about election results. Seems most on this site who complain about attendance don’t attend. It is fine to not come..,just don’t complain to those who do.

Well, it comes across as similar to those who don’t vote yet complain about election results. Seems most on this site who complain about attendance don’t attend. It is fine to not come..,just don’t complain to those who do.
I hope you and the remaining diehards aren’t outnumbered by Buffalo fans when East TN NAIA powerhouse Milligan comes to town on Saturday. Oughta be a doozie.

About spit my coffee out when I read this one. I mean I think you are being serious, but it certainly reminded me of John McCay's,

"we didn't block very well but made up for it by not tackling."
Lol. I was as serious as Coach McKay was when he made his quote. That still makes me laugh.

WCU is no chump after beating Notre Dame, and it was a down to the wire game. Plenty of ball left.

Notre Dame is really bad this year. Might be the worst "power" team in all of college basketball. They were hardly able to field a team this year.

I hope you and the remaining diehards aren’t outnumbered by Buffalo fans when East TN NAIA powerhouse Milligan comes to town on Saturday. Oughta be a doozie.

I will be there while you can stay home with your support blanket sucking your thumb complaining about something you supposedly don’t care about. Can’t wait for your astute observations😀

I'm not sure if the failing fan attendance in football has carried over into basketball, but it almost feels that way early on. The Raiders came into Monday's game with a nice 2-0 start. Being a weeknight I was hoping for a nice student body turnout along with a couple thousand regulars. However the crowd appeared only around 1500 at best to me with virtually no students. On top of that we not only lost that night, but the ladies faltered on Sunday as well.
Even though the men will be favored by double digits this next game another small crowd with little student turnout will be anticipated. I'm hoping the ladies can pick up a nice victory during their trip. A good victory or 2 could be important for them retaining their original fan base here in the Boro. Unfortunately it looks like the student body has not just checked out, but they've never even checked in as of yet.
Side note: Just realized the more I've posted lately the more I use the word "unfortunately", & as a MT fan that's pretty unfortunate.

I will be there while you can stay home with your support blanket sucking your thumb complaining about something you supposedly don’t care about. Can’t wait for your astute observations😀
Wiley is much better at in-game / post-game analysis than me. And he has a much more entertaining delivery.

Raiders preseason #1 competition Liberty U in semifinals of Myrtle Beach invitational tonight 8:00 pm against undefeated Wichita State on ESPN+. Liberty very sound fundamentally. Should be a good game

Raiders preseason #1 competition Liberty U in semifinals of Myrtle Beach invitational tonight 8:00 pm against undefeated Wichita State on ESPN+. Liberty very sound fundamentally. Should be a good game
Just watched Liberty disassemble previously undefeated Furman & Wichita State. Big Blue Raiders fan, but Liberty will run roughshod through CUSA. Wichita State is more athletic & a better team in all aspects than MT, & Liberty frustrated & embarrassed them all night. Liberty is more athletic than than they look, but that's not as important as their understanding of how to play the game. Very smart & strong mentally, & #1 thing very well coached.
Can not play street ball & rely on overall team athleticism to beat this team. Might win that way for a 3-4 minute stretch, but if that's the full strategy might as well not show up. Will lose by double digits.

Just watched Liberty disassemble previously undefeated Furman & Wichita State. Big Blue Raiders fan, but Liberty will run roughshod through CUSA. Wichita State is more athletic & a better team in all aspects than MT, & Liberty frustrated & embarrassed them all night. Liberty is more athletic than than they look, but that's not as important as their understanding of how to play the game. Very smart & strong mentally, & #1 thing very well coached.
Can not play street ball & rely on overall team athleticism to beat this team. Might win that way for a 3-4 minute stretch, but if that's the full strategy might as well not show up. Will lose by double digits.
Ritchie McKay is an extremely underrated coach. They’ve won 20+ games 7 years in a row (3x 27+). He worked with Tony Bennett at UVA for a while so their style of play is similar. They did lose Darius McGhee to the NBA this year so I expected a step back from them. They are looking good right now but I think we can hang with them because of our size. We just need to get better at scoring and make some free throws. I still think we’ve got a good team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT