ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING signee on last day of July

This is a Tony Franklin pickup. 6'2 220lb WR out of California with good upper body strength. I think half our team are WR's. :) Franklin brought him in for a reason. He's got good hands, route discipline and can block well too. He's a good spread WR made for our system. I think he has a shot of getting in the rotation. Franklin loves to use like 15 WR's a game when he can.

Oh yeah, he's also ready to play right now which is interesting.

Why in the world do we need another WR? My only thought is size to block on the edges. Figured if we signed anyone it would be a body in the trenches.

We got like 6 injured last year right before the start of the season so I get why they are doing it and TF has his own preferences about WR's. If he likes him, he's a good pickup and there's a reason to bring him in.

We got like 6 injured last year right before the start of the season so I get why they are doing it and TF has his own preferences about WR's. If he likes him, he's a good pickup and there's a reason to bring him in.

This. You can never have too many WRs in the TF system. Plus this late in the year, we are probably trying to land best available we can get at any position. Hopefully we see him quickly contributing.

If we are counting on late summer juco signees we are in BIG trouble. May I repeat.... BIG trouble.

If Franklin brought him in, it's for a reason and Franklin knows his stuff. Garret Andrews was a late signee JUCO and he helped make 09 a great season. We're just fine.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
If we are counting on late summer juco signees we are in BIG trouble. May I repeat.... BIG trouble.

It would seem the "If" would be the key term in that statement. With the large number of WRs with some high quality experienced WRs ready to play, it would not seem to be a counting on a late summer JUCO signee situation. While I really do not know much anything about this young man's football abilities, 6-2 210 or 220 is an excellent size for a WR. If coach Franklin sees some potential with his good size, he may be able to be a solid contributor. Over time, maybe even better.

The DL fits the bill this fall, way more than WRs. Then again, woeful defense is not a big surprise the last few seasons. I think they had to sign some DTs in the last few weeks. The DT situation seemed to be a matter of desperation where MT has been looking at big trouble.

There are no DT's worth taking, if there were we would have. MT is never going to sign a big prospect at DT, those guys go to Bama. But we can sign good players who can develop. I am looking for MT to do a better job, but on the defensive side we need a complete over haul of scheme, hoping Shaffer delivers.

There are no DT's worth taking, if there were we would have. MT is never going to sign a big prospect at DT, those guys go to Bama. But we can sign good players who can develop. I am looking for MT to do a better job, but on the defensive side we need a complete over haul of scheme, hoping Shaffer delivers.
Agreed!

That to which I was referring was in MT seeming to bring in some late summer JUCO types at DT. I don't recall the exact number of players or their names, but it seemed like MT brought onboard 2 or 3 DTs as late summer signees. If I'm not mistaken, they were the kind of guys that did not have standout names in recruiting. With woeful situation of only a few DTs on the roster that are undersized and inexperienced to boot, it seemed that MT was in a desperate situation. So my point related to this thread that it was the DTs late summer JUCO signees that suggested big trouble not one excellent sized WR late summer JUCO signee that only bolsters an already loaded position with incredible talent and good experience.

Point of clarification: Given the unfortunate difficult situation the new DC walked into this offseason, I don't blame them for taking what appears to be a desperate move in adding a few JUCO DTs just before camp started. At this point, MT would seem to need about any help they can get at DT even if it is some decent sized DL guys who have serviceable skills to hopefully add at least a little depth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT