ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Roll Call for UTSA Game (Blackout)

MTOleBlue

All American
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2015
Who all is heading to Floyd Stadium on Friday? For those who haven't been to a game in a while, how long has it been?

Meh. We know how this is going to go. Everyone is jumping back on the bandwagon without anything actually changing. Yes. Great win. Yes. I’m happy for the team.

However, we’ve been here before. Every few years we sneak up on a P5 but the broader underlying problems still exist.

Haven’t set foot on campus since Dec 1, 2018. And that won’t be changing in 2022. Because nothing else is.

I plan to be in my seats like I am for every home game. We've seen this all before, nothing changes. Why should year 17 be any different than the previous sixteen seasons??? I am hopeful, but until stockstill and staff get it done on the field, I am not believing hype. Miami had no business being ranked in the top 25 and won't return there this season.

This will be the only game I won’t be able to attend this year. We will be in Florida but I’ll be buying two tickets for the shirts.

Meh. We know how this is going to go. Everyone is jumping back on the bandwagon without anything actually changing. Yes. Great win. Yes. I’m happy for the team.

However, we’ve been here before. Every few years we sneak up on a P5 but the broader underlying problems still exist.

Haven’t set foot on campus since Dec 1, 2018. And that won’t be changing in 2022. Because nothing else is.
I firmly intend to have my figurative cup on for the very possible kick in the balls that usually follows any sort of positive moments with this program.

But, as a reward for a great effort and focus and execution, these coaches and players deserve the benefit of one game ticket. Maybe, just maybe, they can keep it going.

Attended one game in 17. Attended away game at Marshall in 18. Attended one game in 19-last game I was there.

I don’t remember the home games I attended. I know I left early both games.

We will be there this Friday with my family fully expecting to be letdown. 😆

Just bought my plane ticket. I'll be there this Friday with family! I think the last game we attended was the away game at Vandy in 2018.

Dumb question as I haven't flown in, but those of you that do, do you Uber to the 'Boro and around town? Then back to BNA? Rent a car?

My work schedule now allows me to just up and decide to go to a game, but the 6 hour drive kind of kills a back and forth or even just one overnight stay.

Dumb question as I haven't flown in, but those of you that do, do you Uber to the 'Boro and around town? Then back to BNA? Rent a car?

My work schedule now allows me to just up and decide to go to a game, but the 6 hour drive kind of kills a back and forth or even just one overnight stay.
I've got family in Murfreesboro so I'm set in terms of cars. Can't help in that regard. However, family have Uber'ed to/from airport vs parking/renting car. I think $50ish each way from BNA to Murfreesboro plus tips; seems to work well.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
You could take the wego to the boro and then Uber from there to cut costs. But the downtown Nashville terminal can be a bit shady.

Your post got me curious so I did a little quick research. Prior to last night, Stock had 5 victories over P5 schools, 4 of them on the road. The week following those P5 wins he is 2-3.

2008 - Maryland W 24-14
following weeks Kentucky - L , Ark St - L

2009 - @ Maryland W again 32-31
following week UNT - W

2012 - @ GaTech W 49-28
following week ULM - L 31-17

2016 - @ Mizzou W 51-45
following week FIU W 42-35

2017 - @ Syracuse W 30-23
following week Minnesota - L 34-3

Maybe he can pull off a good CUSA win this week?

Last edited:
Your post got me curious so I did a little quick research. Prior to last night, Stock had 5 victories over P5 schools, 4 of them on the road. The week following those P5 wins he is 2-3.

2008 - Maryland W 24-14
following weeks Kentucky - L , Ark St - L

2009 - @ Maryland W again 32-31
following week UNT - W

2012 - @ GaTech W 49-28
following week ULM - L 31-17

2016 - @ Mizzou W 51-45
following week FIU W 42-35

2017 - @ Syracuse W 30-23
following week Minnesota - L 34-3

Maybe he can pull off a good CUSA win this week?
Maybe he can get to 3-3 or .500 ball after a P5 win.

The comparable to me is the GT game. Because we were huge underdogs and throat punched them just like we did Miami. It feels eerily similar.

Only difference is that we play the defending champs this week and not cupcake U (which we still lost to that year).

If CRS figures out how to manage a hang rover and beats USTA these last four weeks will be his best coaching job since over the first half of the season since he’s been here. This stretch taking us through the wkcc game will tell us whether or not we should pull back on our criticisms and the contract.

UTSA is going to be tough. If our defense has 1 weakness, it is our DB's and UTSA has 3 superstar receivers. Cephus and Franklin will both play on Sundays, 100%. Clark might too. They are easily the best trio of receivers in the G5 and possibly the country. They are that good. You will see on Friday. Our defense will have to be more honest in this game in my opinion because we will get burned and burned bad if we sit in cover 0 and cover 1 all game. I have to believe Scott knows this and will find a way to still pressure but also have adequate coverage down field. Would love to see a mixture of man and zone concepts to keep UTSA off balance.

Last year we could not get anything going offensively because our OL was just completely overmatched. We will have to do much better up front if we are to have any chance. The game at Miami was encouraging but I think UTSA is a better team than the Canes' are so we will need another solid performance from the big guys up front.

The line is only 5.5 but it just stinks to me. Blue Raiders have a good record against the spread at home under Stockstill and we just donkey punched Miami. Shouldn't this be closer to a pick'em or a FG game? Vegas appears awfully confident in UTSA making them a -5.5 road favorite IMO. I think a lot of money will come in on MT + the points due to our home record against the spread and the recent win over Miami....Vegas knows it too and baiting the hell out of this game trying to get people to take MT.

Team's gonna have to come out and prove everybody wrong again. All the signs point to a UTSA victory in my opinion.

Anyone have MT's record in blackout games?

Not sure but I do not believe I have ever seen us play well in a black out game. Maybe one time against Marshall but that's it. I believe the FAU hail mary was a black out game but we didn't play well.

Never really been a huge fan of these gimmicky black out or white out games. I understand it drives people to the game and hypes it up a little more, but I also feel like it's a small distraction for the home team that's not needed.

Team needs to be 100% focused on UTSA, nothing else.

Last edited:
The comparable to me is the GT game. Because we were huge underdogs and throat punched them just like we did Miami. It feels eerily similar.

Only difference is that we play the defending champs this week and not cupcake U (which we still lost to that year).

If CRS figures out how to manage a hang rover and beats USTA these last four weeks will be his best coaching job since over the first half of the season since he’s been here. This stretch taking us through the wkcc game will tell us whether or not we should pull back on our criticisms and the contract.

Agreed. Perspective is important when it comes to "body of work" especially after 17 years with the same head coach with just above a .500 record. A Georgia Tech win or a Miami win is definitely a boost in the school pride, and certainly is worth commending the head coach, coaching staff, and players. No doubt it makes us pleased with that weeks' effort and skill and become more engaged to watch in person. However, it reflects only ONE GAME and does not cure long-term or medium-term ills that our football program currently has and needs to fix to reach championship expectations and possible AP and coaches poll rankings.

Great example is look no further than Marshall Thundering Herd: they have the Notre Dame "signature win" on the hallowed ground of South Bend, but next week Marshall lost to BGSU in overtime and this week lost to Troy in Troy, Alabama. Somewhat similar is Appalachian State's loss to James Madison right after the Texas A&M upset. Blue Raiders have a golden opportunity to propel themselves into a championship this year or at least 8-4 with a bowl win with this game. Anything less than a championship contender, this win becomes a nice memory analogous to "winning on any given day" to "Jack and Dianne Fan". Our program needs these types of games and wins more consistently than about once a decade.

Good video. Ole Howard Schnellenberger was STILL coaching FAU in 08'....what a dude. May he rest in peace.
His FAU guys destroyed Tommy West’s Memphis Tigers in the ‘07 NOLA Bowl 44-27. I was there. The SunBelt was not kind to West in ‘07. Stock unleashed Dasher on him in Memphis and Arkansas St came back from a 31-6 halftime deficit in Jonesboro to win 35-31. I was in attendance at those two as well.

I'm planning to go. First game in 2 years. Went to Senior Day last year, but not much before or after that. Just wanted to add another butt in the stadium for when the Seniors came out, especially Blankenship. That dude was a warrior and gave everything he had when on the field.

Our group of 6-8 will be there. Should be a great evening retiring Kevin's jersey and continuing a win streak....
Crap I hope I didn't jinx us.
GO BLUE!

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Looks like mother nature is conspiring to keep me away from the game on Friday, I just got notice that I may have to be in Florida or GA depending on Hurricane Ian's track.

I did buy a ticket, so I feel like i've at least rewarded the guys financially, if not in person. Keep it going and I might be back in Tennessee for WKU.

And why are we using ticketmaster? I wanted 1 seat - 1 aisle seat. Plenty of them available. Nope, it won't sell you a single aisle seat. Ok, so maybe a 2nd seat in - Nope. Ok, what about 2HH, my fav section from back when I was a student. I know there's plenty of seats there - i've seen the empty metal on TV. Nope, nothing available. You'd think they'd want to make it easier to buy a tix, not harder.

Looks like mother nature is conspiring to keep me away from the game on Friday, I just got notice that I may have to be in Florida or GA depending on Hurricane Ian's track.

I did buy a ticket, so I feel like i've at least rewarded the guys financially, if not in person. Keep it going and I might be back in Tennessee for WKU.

And why are we using ticketmaster? I wanted 1 seat - 1 aisle seat. Plenty of them available. Nope, it won't sell you a single aisle seat. Ok, so maybe a 2nd seat in - Nope. Ok, what about 2HH, my fav section from back when I was a student. I know there's plenty of seats there - i've seen the empty metal on TV. Nope, nothing available. You'd think they'd want to make it easier to buy a tix, not harder.
Absolutely right. They do make it hard.

Does anyone know if we have a ticket exchange? A WKU fan is trying to get some club seats for homecoming.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I agree they complain when no body is buying tickets but they make is so hard to get them. Like Doug I am trying to get my old section, 2HH but they will not sell those. Good grief.

Well, I’m out. Last minute change of plans for a charity event here in Franklin same time as the game.
Will definitely be there for WKU.

Root ‘em on fellas.

Not sure but I do not believe I have ever seen us play well in a black out game. Maybe one time against Marshall but that's it. I believe the FAU hail mary was a black out game but we didn't play well.

Never really been a huge fan of these gimmicky black out or white out games. I understand it drives people to the game and hypes it up a little more, but I also feel like it's a small distraction for the home team that's not needed.

Team needs to be 100% focused on UTSA, nothing else.
We have only lost 4 blackout games I believe.

2008 - FAU - Win
2009 - Memphis - Win
2010 - Troy - Loss
2011 - ASU - Loss
2012 - UNT - Win
2013 - Marshall - Win
2014 - WKU - Win
2015 - Charlotte - Win
2016 - La Tech - Win
2017 - Marshall - Loss
2018- FAU - Win
2019 - Duke - Loss
2021 - Marshall - Win

I believe we are 9-4 in the Blackout Uni's

Would love to be there, but Wisconsin is just too far away. I will be watching. Hope to see a full stadium.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Would love to be there, but Wisconsin is just too far away. I will be watching. Hope to see a full stadium.

That's officially me. I'll be wearing black and screaming as if I was there! I'd cook out too for the whole simulated experience but freaking hurricane is supposed to hit here tomorrow. Thankful I don't live in Florida for sure. Man they got hit.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT