7. Charlotte

WEST DIVISION
1. Southern Miss
2. Louisiana Tech
3. Rice
4. UTEP
5. UTSA
6. North Texas

Well, we were in the top 3 in the east to begin with. We've placed no less than 3rd since we've been in this conference. There is about a frog hair's difference between us, WKU and Marshall. It's anyone's game this year.

WKU was the buzzsaw that everyone ran into last year. They won't be that this year. They will still be a dang good team but they've lost a bit. Marshall got a few players in and their QB is really good. It is up to our D and Tony Franklin's ability to produce and get the short yardage scores. Our kicking game got a big boost in the offseason with the best kicker in the state choosing us over LSU. Crews Holt will be a factor. If we would have had a decent one last year, we would have beaten Illinois and wouldn't have had to go into triple OT with Marshall.

I think Vandy is the key as weird as that sounds. If we can score on them, we'll score on anyone we play this year. Defensively, if we can hold onto WKU and LaTech at home, we'll be able to keep up with Marshall and make it interesting. Should be a real fun year.

Last edited:
NAshville Post:

Media makes Middle Tennessee a preseason favorite in C-USA

...This will be MTSU’s fourth season in C-USA. Each of the first three it has finished second.

The Blue Raiders were 6-2 in conference play in 2013, tied with East Carolina and one game behind Marshall. They went 5-3 in 2015 and finished two games behind Marshall and last season went 6-2 and tied with Marshall, two games behind Western Kentucky.

The last time MTSU was the preseason pick for a conference title was 2010, when it was a member of the Sun Belt. That year the Blue Raiders went 5-3 in conference play and ended up in sole possession of third place.....

My bad, I thought we were 3rd in 2013 with ECU being in 2nd. ESPN has us 3rd in standings for that year but since ECU and us were tied at 6-2, I guess we could say we finished second. Doesn't really matter I guess. :)

That ECU game was tough. We took them to the edge. Logan just ran out of steam and then UNT crushed us. If it wasn't for those 2 games... If we had beaten ECU alone we would have played for the title in our first year. We were very close to each other in the east that year.

In 2014, Marshall was clearly better. In 2015, WKU was clearly better. 2016 will be like 2013 where the top 3 are very close in terms of talent and ability. It's gonna be a good one.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Slightly surprised. I think the addition of Tony Franklin has the potential to be a real boost to the team. I imagine this is one of the key factors for the higher expectations this season.

Last season obviously was great to see the two young freshman on offense develop into top players. The overall progress of the team had been rather gradual, dare I say slow? The concern with that? The effect on fan interest and attendance. The last couple of years of just above average was not helping with buzz, energy, and attendance. Brent and James provided some hope last season in that regard, but would two be enough with eleven needed on the field?

Then after the season, it appeared that recruiting was picking up. IMO, MT has been doing some better things the last couple of years in recruiting. Solid recruiting still takes a few years, but the improvement was good to see. I'd rather see good solid recruiting improve, succeed, and build through smart good hard work over time instead of cutting corners for the quick fix. Some apparent improvement built upon work and success was quality WRs wanting to come to play at MT after seeing Brent and James succeed tremendously. A key area in my opinion that has slowly been building and improving is along the line of scrimmage. In my opinion, about the most important positions on the team are the lineman on both sides of the ball. The team appears to finally getting to the place of legit size and strength in lineman with some quality depth finally starting to build in those lineman. It's great to see a whole slew of OL on the roster 6-3+ and 300+ lbs.

Tony Franklin was the other offseason news that really kicked up the confidence and optimism for MT football these next few years.

These developments have been good to see considering the lack of fan enthusiasm the last few years. The new young players, reasonable depth on the roster, player development, and coaching seeming to come together sets the stage for MT to take another step of progress this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT