ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL promo for Rice

In another thread a poster complemented the promotions the Athletic Dept. was using to try to increase attendance for homecoming. While realizing that most traditional promotions (advertising) require precious $$$s MT doesn't have I do respect the work done in reaching out to those who frequent the Athletic Dept. web site or are on various e-mail lists. (I, myself, am on the alumni, athletic, and two academic department e-mail lists)

My question is since I am so uninvolved on and uninformed about social media just how does anything the athletic department is doing reach anyone not already a supporter/fan? I fail to see how the athletic department is doing anything to reach new potential ticket purchasers.

No point in buying season tickets next year. Seems like every game this year has had a promo.

In another thread a poster complemented the promotions the Athletic Dept. was using to try to increase attendance for homecoming. While realizing that most traditional promotions (advertising) require precious $$$s MT doesn't have I do respect the work done in reaching out to those who frequent the Athletic Dept. web site or are on various e-mail lists. (I, myself, am on the alumni, athletic, and two academic department e-mail lists)

My question is since I am so uninvolved on and uninformed about social media just how does anything the athletic department is doing reach anyone not already a supporter/fan? I fail to see how the athletic department is doing anything to reach new potential ticket purchasers.

that’s a great question.

I never get emails on ticket promotions.

I contacted the AD and local Atlanta alumni chapter on social media offering to help. In both cases, I got we are trying to do some things....blah blah, we will contact you back and never heard anything from either.

Long story short, I don’t think our AD has much creativity or overall energy- it has the energy of our director. There are so many no/low cost promotions to get butts in seats.

We lack organization, strategy, overall enthusiasm and just effort.

Reactions: MTOleBlue

Somewhat sadly for FBS, our football promotional ideas consist of:

1. A gigantic inflatable football helmet by the Blue Raider Bridge. And, every now and then at the corner of Greenland and Middle Tennessee Blvd, just north of MC.

2. Yard signs that exclaim “Our Town, Our Team”.

3. Cheap ticket promotions.

It’s a one dimensional formula that may work in a small college town, Division II, or FCS program with deep loyalty. Problem is, Murfreesboro is not small college town anymore. Our loyal fans are generally graying in demographics and younger alumni seem to have other priorities when looking at the large numbers that are attracted to college sports. And, our direct competition is the $EC (namely, go Vols) and even to some degree pro sports for higher perceived value. Our ticket prices are just above high school games (we were charging $12 for a football ticket in 1992); however our current quality doesn’t really justify higher prices much beyond what we have. That is a revenue problem in getting facilities and coaches we need and can afford to sustain Blue Raider Football at a Championship level in any league.

It’s a classic “chicken and egg” question that leadership needs to confront if we are to model ourselves in the recent success of Memphis (which we could and should do). College Gameday is coming to Beale Street for SMU/Memphis: so their multi year effort is paying off in exposure of having good and ranked teams that people want to see. We, on the other hand, are sinking further to irrelevance and fighting to reach 6-6 this season.

A stark tale of two programs. Just hope we wake up in time before the next seismic moves happen in college football in the next decade. As Lee Iacocca the CEO of Chrysler once exclaimed: lead, follow, or get out of the way...those are our options.

I think a key component is making the tailgate experience a must be at event.

I don’t think MT has ever escaped the suitcase college feel for a lot of people. Even if the team stinks, you still tailgate and go hangout. The experience brings students / alumni / faculty. Then you basically give younger non-MT folks a reason to come either for the party or the game.

Marshall fans were commenting that this was the worst game day experience they ever saw. Sad thing is, it’s true.

We need a strategic plan and new energy. Nothing says energy like Chris Massaro and Rick Stockstill**

While many of the items discussed above are valid, nothing will ever change given our current climate. Residents of Middle Tennessee grow up hearing either UT or Vandy in the media as a predominant collegiate sports family. The media coverage of the BR's does not allow for the growth for Athletic footprint. To remedy the problem, we, as a University, must reach individuals at an early age and nurture them. They must grow up hearing Blue Raider Athletics...

Herein lies the problem, how can this be successfully done. One solution is not going to solve the dilemma, it will take several. Read my ideas below and please provide others...

I have three potential examples for discussion...

1. MT has, by far, the most resident graduates of any university in Middle Tennessee. An extensive effort should be expended to compile E-mail, social media, and any other contact information to all living graduates of MT. In so doing, a weekly or bi-weekly contact should be made with athletic updates and ticket offers.

2. Another idea is that each local cable company has their own channel for shows. MT Athletics should have a show each week detailing our teams/coaches and show them on these channels. With our Mass Com Dept. it should not be a problem to produce and distribute...

3. The last idea is that MTSU has historically been a teachers college. All public schools in Middle Tennessee and most private have teachers with a Middle lineage. Recruit this vast group to promote the BR network on a continual basis... Again, it will take a massive effort but I believe it would be well worth the effort.

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
While many of the items discussed above are valid, nothing will ever change given our current climate. Residents of Middle Tennessee grow up hearing either UT or Vandy in the media as a predominant collegiate sports family. The media coverage of the BR's does not allow for the growth for Athletic footprint. To remedy the problem, we, as a University, must reach individuals at an early age and nurture them. They must grow up hearing Blue Raider Athletics...

Herein lies the problem, how can this be successfully done. One solution is not going to solve the dilemma, it will take several. Read my ideas below and please provide others...

1. MT has, by far, the most resident graduates of any university in Middle Tennessee. An extensive effort should be expended to compile E-mail, social media, and any other contact information to all living graduates of MT. In so doing, a weekly or bi-weekly contact should be made with athletic updates and ticket offers.

2. Another idea is that each local cable company has their own channel for shows. MT Athletics should have a show each week detailing our teams/coaches and show them on these channels. With our Mass Com Dept. it should not be a problem to produce and distribute...

3. The last idea is that MTSU has historically been a teachers college. All public schools in Middle Tennessee and most private have teachers with a Middle lineage. Recruit this vast group to promote the BR network on a continual basis... Again, it will take a massive effort but I believe it would be well worth the effort.

But see that would take effort! I can't tell you how frustrating it is for people on this message board and around the program to have solid ideas like these bounced over to the athletic department. (Provided for free!) Yet, nobody in administration cares to try or implement these ideas. It's not our job to implement these things. That's why these employees in the department make 50-60k a year with benefits, and that's why the upper level people make over 100k to provide ways to implement these ideas. The sad thing is most of these ideas and programs would cost the department nothing. Honestly, I feel like the true fans of this program care a hell of a lot more than anyone in administration. The proof is in the results.

your first point is a big deal. Our alumni association and BRAA club sucks. Terrible lack of effort and organization, especially since we lost a few people in the past few years. As i mentioned, last year I contacted the Atlanta MT alumni association online last year offering to help with anything, events etc. same for the general alumni association. The general never responded. Someone from Atlanta responded that they had some things in mind and will be back in touch....still waiting.

The lack of organization and effort is pathetic. My other school and my wife’s school are both so much more organized. It’s systemic.

When your school ignores ideas/concerns from alumni willing to work and help, then the current group doesn’t deserve our time or effort. I gladly give to my other school or my wife’s school.

MT could be more, but our administration is either to lazy, incompetent, cheap, apathetic or all the above. We all have ideas to fix the problem, but where is our AD? I am guessing picking his hotel for his Bahamas vacation when the 6-6 Raiders lose to 7-5 Miami (OH) or Ball State.

Somewhat sadly for FBS, our football promotional ideas consist of:

1. A gigantic inflatable football helmet by the Blue Raider Bridge. And, every now and then at the corner of Greenland and Middle Tennessee Blvd, just north of MC.

2. Yard signs that exclaim “Our Town, Our Team”.

3. Cheap ticket promotions.

It’s a one dimensional formula that may work in a small college town, Division II, or FCS program with deep loyalty. Problem is, Murfreesboro is not small college town anymore. Our loyal fans are generally graying in demographics and younger alumni seem to have other priorities when looking at the large numbers that are attracted to college sports. And, our direct competition is the $EC (namely, go Vols) and even to some degree pro sports for higher perceived value. Our ticket prices are just above high school games (we were charging $12 for a football ticket in 1992); however our current quality doesn’t really justify higher prices much beyond what we have. That is a revenue problem in getting facilities and coaches we need and can afford to sustain Blue Raider Football at a Championship level in any league.

It’s a classic “chicken and egg” question that leadership needs to confront if we are to model ourselves in the recent success of Memphis (which we could and should do). College Gameday is coming to Beale Street for SMU/Memphis: so their multi year effort is paying off in exposure of having good and ranked teams that people want to see. We, on the other hand, are sinking further to irrelevance and fighting to reach 6-6 this season.

A stark tale of two programs. Just hope we wake up in time before the next seismic moves happen in college football in the next decade. As Lee Iacocca the CEO of Chrysler once exclaimed: lead, follow, or get out of the way...those are our options.
Definitely agree with you on most points, but I also think having a Beale St. and an undefeated former powerhouse before the "death penalty" SMU helps get Gameday there.

I don't even care about all the AD B.S. I just root for the players now. I enjoy it while we have it. If the HC is locked in til 2025, the AD and pres dang sure ain't going nowhere. So I choose not to give 2 craps about them. We see the crap job they do. I just care about the team and the kids. That's it.

Reactions: MTTim
I don't even care about all the AD B.S. I just root for the players now. I enjoy it while we have it. If the HC is locked in til 2025, the AD and pres dang sure ain't going nowhere. So I choose not to give 2 craps about them. We see the crap job they do. I just care about the team and the kids. That's it.

That’s fair. I guess in my case, having 2 other options for focus / money makes causes the AD’s failures to standout.

I spent longer at Mississippi State than MT and have 2 degrees from there compared to MT. I worked at ECU longer than I was at MT and my wife is a Pirate.

Both those schools do a better job promoting and connecting to alumni than MT. Both demand more success. Both have better alumni out reach for our of state folks.

I know your undergrad is always first for most people, but given options with better effort it’s easy to shuttle MT back.

Reactions: mtfblue
I'm pretty much done as well. Done spending over $1000 per year on BRAA and season tickets. I can spend less than $200, go to any game I want, and basically sit where I want to anyway. I have many other things the extra $800 can go towards.

Reactions: MarJac23
I'm pretty much done as well. Done spending over $1000 per year on BRAA and season tickets. I can spend less than $200, go to any game I want, and basically sit where I want to anyway. I have many other things the extra $800 can go towards.

Good call. Why waste your money on this group only for them to squander your hard earned money? They are poor stewards of the money they get. The biggest being Masarro's ridiculous contract with Stockstill. Your money would just be going to subsidize him. It's not like your money is going to new facilities. I stopped giving as well and will not return until Masarro and Stockstill are gone. Withholding money is the only option I see going forward to force a change.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Good call. Why waste your money on this group only for them to squander your hard earned money? They are poor stewards of the money they get. The biggest being Masarro's ridiculous contract with Stockstill. Your money would just be going to subsidize him. It's not like your money is going to new facilities. I stopped giving as well and will not return until Masarro and Stockstill are gone. Withholding money is the only option I see going forward to force a change.
Welcome to the club.

It will.

I'm going to the WKU game with my buddy who is a western fan. I will probably not be wearing MT gear to that one.

I made the same call this year.
Been a season ticket holder and BRAA member since 2000. Ended my support for the BRAA a couple years ago and did not renew my season tickets last year. The funny thing is, the games I have attended were all discounted tickets (12 dollars) and I sat in the same seats I've had for 18 years. I won't be attending any games at any discount until this staff is gone. I too have better things to do with my 12 dollars

What if we officially changed our name? Now hold on hear me out, Middle Tennessee instead of mtsu? Worth at least 1.5 wins a season by my calculations...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT