ADVERTISEMENT

Preliminary Prediction...Who wins tonight's debate?

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2006
BBJ, considering Cruz is a proven debater and everyone expects him to do well, I have to go with either Dr. Ben Carson or Trump since the public's expectations of them as debaters are low. If Trump is able to appear as a statesman, and I'm not sure that he can, I believe many will claim that he won. However, if he just continues to lash out at his competitors I don't believe he will come off very well. Since he is thin-skinned and an admitted poor debater I don't believe his ego will allow him to remain under control when the other candidates are critical of him during the debate. We will just have to see. The good thing about the debate tonight is at least we should not have to worry about any "got-ya" questions since Fox News moderators are asking the questions. In the last Republican debates, I remember Stephanopoulos asking Santorum about birth control as a "got-ya" question. Of course it worked because the very next day what Santorum said became the "war on women." Obviously it's absurd but to the low information voter it resonated, and still does. So, we will have to see whether there is another moment that will give the left something to salivate on. I'm just glad MSNBC or CNN are not asking questions because if they were all the questions would be about same-sex marriage, the legalization of pot, and all the other liberal/libertarian type issues. As you know, they tend to stay away from questions on the economy and the war on terror.

Last edited:
One thing I agree strongly with leftists about now is Fox "Cuckservative" news is a disgrace to human kind. They really want Bush in there, that much is clear. All the soft balls they lobbed his way and the piss poor way they treated candidates that are a threat to him was disgusting. From the begining it was clear, even before they went to the podiums they put Bush right there in the center with plenty of space between him and the other candidates, as they were bunched together to the left and right of him. Carly Fiorina has certainly earned her place in the 'big' debate, the question is who to take off. Really liked Carson, he stood tall in a hostile environment, and hopefully he grew his fanbase. Trump was Trump, don't think he hurt himself, but don't really think he did anything to help himself. Walker was OK, more meh then anything. I though John Kasich really upped his stock, I want to learn more about him and his beliefs and am considering him. Ted Cruz did well when they went to him, as much as the hosts were hostile to Trump and Carson they kind of seemed to ignore Cruz. They probably wanted to be hostile towards him but know better, as he would put them in their place. Bush did not do a lot to help his stock despite the hosts obvious bias towards him. The Christie/Paul thing was good, besides that neither really did alot but Paul seemed a bit whiny or something. Huckabee kind of came across like a grumpy old man at times, that might have been due to the hosts. They also kind of seemed to lob softballs at Rubio, and he had base hits and a double or two but nothing spectacular.

Last edited:
BBJ, considering Cruz is a proven debater and everyone expects him to do well, I have to go with either Dr. Ben Carson or Trump since the public's expectations of them as debaters are low. If Trump is able to appear as a statesman, and I'm not sure that he can, I believe many will claim that he won. However, if he just continues to lash out at his competitors I don't believe he will come off very well. Since he is thin-skinned and an admitted poor debater I don't believe his ego will allow him to remain under control when the other candidates are critical of him during the debate. We will just have to see. The good thing about the debate tonight is at least we should not have to worry about any "got-ya" questions since Fox News moderators are asking the questions. In the last Republican debates, I remember Stephanopoulos asking Santorum about birth control as a "got-ya" question. Of course it worked because the very next day what Santorum said became the "war on women." Obviously it's absurd but to the low information voter it resonated, and still does. So, we will have to see whether there is another moment that will give the left something to salivate on. I'm just glad MSNBC or CNN are not asking questions because if they were all the questions would be about same-sex marriage, the legalization of pot, and all the other liberal/libertarian type issues. As you know, they tend to stay away from questions on the economy and the war on terror.

Flash, I was very disappointed with the Fox moderators. Their obvious intention was to attack and belittle Trump from the get-go. Not a big fan of Trump here, but in fairness, I thought their questions (more like statements) directed at Trump were accusatory in nature and very unprofessional. In particular, Megan Kelly was the worst of the three moderators. Her obvious intention was to portray Trump as a woman-hater and sexist bigot. The majority of Trump's past statements regarding women were made in jest and for theatrical purposes. Nice try Megan, but you came off more like an MSNBC shill than a professional.

I was very disappointed as well with the lack of time/attention given to both Cruz and Carson. I thought they both did well given what opportunities they had.

Although I actually thought that Mike Huckabee did well last night in the debate, I still have a problem with him supporting Lamar Alexander for the U.S. Senate and suggesting that Lamar is a conservative when he really isn't one (see video below).

Last edited:
I thought Rubio was the best on stage last night. He needs to be on the ticket somewhere. He can smoothly discuss any political issue and I think is a very relatable candidate.

I am generally inclined to support someone who has been a governor, but I could definitely envision myself ultimately voting for Rubio.

Contrary to the Drudge Report Debate Poll that shows Trump winning the debate, I'm still convinced that his campaign is finished. Erick Erickson's column below explains why he has disinvited Trump to the RedState Gathering and I'm certain that this is just the beginning of Trump's demise.

I Have Disinvited Donald Trump to the RedState Gathering
By: Erick Erickson (Erick Erickson

I have tried to give a great deal of latitude to Donald Trump in his run for the Presidency.

He is not a professional politician and is known for being a blunt talker. He connects with so much of the anger in the Republican base and is not afraid to be outspoken on a lot of issues. But there are even lines blunt talkers and unprofessional politicians should not cross.

Decency is one of those lines.

As much as I do personally like Donald Trump, his comment about Megyn Kelly on CNN is a bridge too far for me.

In a CNN interview, Mr. Trump said of Megyn Kelly, “You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes. Blood coming out of her wherever.”

It was not the “blood coming out of her eyes” part that was the problem.

I think there is no way to otherwise interpret Mr. Trump’s comment. In an attempted clarification, Mr. Trump’s team tells me he meant “whatever”, not “where ever.”

The other day, we sent out the agenda for the RedState Gathering. The file had been saved with the “final” tag and the Washington sent it out. But it still had Governor Deal on the agenda and it did not have Donald Trump on it. Obviously, it wasn’t the final.

I called Mr. Trump’s campaign manager and apologized and told him I felt bad for Mr. Trump because he has gotten so much sh*t from so many people and the party itself wasn’t treating the guy at the front of the pack as legitimate.

I think that is true. And I’ve been very sympathetic to Donald Trump because so many of the people who have led the party astray refuse to even treat him as a legitimate candidate.

But I also think that while Mr. Trump resonates with a lot of people with his bluntness, including me to a degree, there are just real lines of decency a person running for President should not cross.

His comment was inappropriate. It is unfortunate to have to disinvite him. But I just don’t want someone on stage who gets a hostile question from a lady and his first inclination is to imply it was hormonal. It just was wrong.

I have invited Megyn Kelly to attend in Donald Trump’s place tomorrow night.

http://www.redstate.com/2015/08/07/i-have-disinvited-donald-trump-to-the-redstate-gathering/

Going into the debate Trump was #1 on my list and there is no way in hell he 'won' that debate if Drudge is saying he was #1/10. I'm not sure if he even was in the top 5, thats around where I would rank him though, give or take a bit. Though I would not class him as finished, its a long way to the first votes and Super Tuesday, and many debates to go, but he needs more substance in future debates.

Death blow from Fox News' Megyn Kelly already taking effect on Trump

There is no cure for the Touch of Death, or Dim Mak as it's known in those cheesy martial arts movies.

Legend and comic books tell us that it is a precise and forceful strike, with delayed yet fatal result, sometimes taking days or weeks to do its work.

It is subtle, quick, almost unseen, and usually delivered by a monk or some warrior priest with a topknot. Uma Thurman used it to great effect in "Kill Bill: Vol 2." When she was done, she flashed a smirk of wistful sadness.

That's what happened to Donald Trump's presidential campaign, which received the Touch of Death from Megyn Kelly, the warrior priestess of Fox News.

Kelly didn't flash the smirk of sadness. She doesn't wear a topknot. But at the Republican presidential debate in Cleveland, she asked questions Trump didn't like. So angry was he, that he began raging in public, and over the weekend, he did what had been considered impossible, even for him.

Trump gutted himself with his own vulgarity.

And he was immediately banned from the conservative RedState Gathering in Atlanta for his boorish comments about Kelly.

If it hasn't happened already, it will happen soon, profound realization blossoming in Trump's blue eyes, and thinking back, he must see Kelly in black on the set in Cleveland, how she touched him — eyes sparkling, defiant — with that line about how Trump wanted to see a woman on her knees.

Many Republicans missed it, perhaps blinded by legitimate disgust of their milquetoast party leaders, a disgust that Trump knows how to feed. And many liberal Democratic analysts missed it too, thinking Trump did passably well. Perhaps they were too busy thinking of issuing snarky tweets.

It happened so quickly. But it happened. I saw it. And I think you saw it too.

Kelly: Your Twitter account has several disparaging comments about women's looks. You once told a contestant on "Celebrity Apprentice" it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees. Does that sound to you like the temperament of a man we should elect as president, and how will you answer the charge from Hillary Clinton, who is likely to be the Democratic nominee, that you are part of the war on women?

Trump: I think the big problem this country has is being politically correct. … I've been challenged by so many people, and I don't frankly have time for total political correctness. And to be honest with you, this country doesn't have time either. This country is in big trouble. We don't win anymore. We lose to China. We lose to Mexico, both in trade and at the border. We lose to everybody.

And you, The Donald, are the biggest loser. Republicans are finished with you because American women vote.

Women don't like men saying privately — let alone on the set of "Celebrity Apprentice" — that a woman should get on her knees.

Later, raging at Kelly on rival CNN, Trump attacked her for being unfair and said: "There was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever."

RedState turned its back on him and disinvited him.

"I'm not going to have a guy on stage with my wife and daughter in the crowd who thinks a tough question from a woman is because of hormones," said RedState's Erick Erickson, according to The Washington Post.

Boom.

Such is the power of the Touch of Death.

But before some of you embarrass yourselves writing angry letters to my editor denouncing me as a liberal Democrat, consider this:

Ask women what they think about it. Don't tell them Trump said it. Tell them a powerful man said it, a rich and arrogant man who gets what he wants. You'll get your answer. Their eyes will tell you. They'll take those eyes with them to the polls.

Just imagine the Democratic commercial, with Kelly's question, the line about a woman on her knees set off in large, bold type on the screen, Trump in red, white and blue, bloviating, an angry puffer fish puffing about political correctness, and later his ugly "blood coming out of her wherever" line.

If by some miracle Trump is the GOP nominee in 2016, all that will remain of the Republican Party will be the bleached skeleton of the elephant. Maybe a couple buzzards.

That Hillary Clinton would be the beneficiary of such TV spots is beyond ironic, since Bill Clinton's priapic presidency hasn't been completely erased from the public mind.

But the Clintons wouldn't run it. Surrogates would.

Trump climbed in the polls by playing the establishment critic, even as he served the establishment's interests by sucking up the media oxygen from true conservatives like Sens. Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio.

He plays the tough guy. But he couldn't handle it when Kelly asked him a straight and fair question, without any of that Uma Thurman attitude from the "Kill Bill" movies.

Bill: Pai Mei taught you the five point palm exploding heart technique?

Thurman, as the Bride: Of course he did.

Bill: Why didn't you tell me?

Why didn't Kelly tell us?

Because she's a journalist doing her job, asking the questions that Democrats would ask if Trump were the Republican nominee.

Let the Dim Mak do its work. You can see the effects already. We're simply waiting for the Trump campaign to pick a soft, dry place to fall.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ump-death-touch-met-0809-20150809-column.html

Note: Yes, the Chicago Tribune is another liberal rag but it remains the most-read daily newspaper of the Chicago metropolitan area and the Great Lakes region. Many women who might have supported Trump before the debate may seriously consider changing their view of him after reading this column, if they haven't already.

"Be careful with your words once they are said, they can be only forgiven not forgotten" - Author Unknown

Last edited:
BBJ, as you know Trump wasn't the only one who got a tough question from the moderators. Chris Wallace asked Cruz a tough question and he responded brilliantly (click web address below). As he listened to the question, Cruz remained calm and simply smiled as Wallace asked him about his reputation as a divisive figure. As a national college debate champion, Cruz is the best when it comes to debating and he knows how to anticipate questions and give convincing answers. Unlike Trump, Cruz was well prepared to answer any question presented to him and you didn't hear him complaining about having to answer tough questions or having few chances to speak. That is why Cruz will continue to do well going forward gaining momentum and building a powerful grassroots campaign that attracts widespread conservative support. The next debate is the CNN/Salem Republican Debate on Wednesday, September 16 at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley, CA. The moderators will be Jake Tapper and Hugh Hewitt. It seems like a perfect setting for Reaganesque Ted Cruz to captivate America and show the nation that he is the next Ronald Reagan.

http://conservative50.com/blog/cruz-american-people-looking-for-someone-to-speak-the-truth/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT